Energy drainage blocks (i.e. Quantum suit counter)

CaptPanda

As we all know, quantum suit is the best armour in Technic/Tekkit. With your dozen mass fabricators being powered by your two hundred and fourteen HV solar arrays, you can pretty comfortably run around smacking less-armed players to oblivion while casually bathing in lava. It is incredibly OP, and for those who don't have the resources, they're pretty much defenceless... for now.

I propose a new block, that when a redstone signal is applied to it, will slowly drain energy from any IC2 items within its vicinity. I say slowly, as that gives the quantum suitor to have some chance of noticing that their item's power is dissipating, and get the royal fuck out of there. the blocks themselves, will absorb energy based on whether it's a LV, MV or HV drainer, and would have an efficiency of, say, 70%.

On the other end, have a block that can remotely charge your items and your quantum suitings. This I'm sure will balance out the workings of SMP, or maybe at least have some more shenanigans as far as adventure maps go.

• 4 weeks later...

yes i like this idea alot, what about one that makes ee armor need emc to work as armor? becuase both of those armor sets are really o.p and they should have a balance that is rather situational, so that the armor is still really strong but not complelty invincible, just only invincible for a short time.

the worst time about quatum armor is that to kill someone in it you would need to cuase really natsy damage to the land, now the way to kill someone in this armor is to blow them sky high with 32 nukes to about a y of 25000(or something like that) and then and only then the fall damage will do them in.

i have done this in sp, i got my armor back with very little charge gone from it.

ironic is it not?

I propose a trade off system with the chest piece. It should have a base defense bonus around the level of diamond in addition to a few optional upgrades.

The four attachments are as follows (Only one may be attached at any given time.):

1. Energy Shield - A temporary shield that drains massive amounts of power from the chest piece when active. Provides short term invulnerability.

2. Lap-Pack - An energy storage pack attached to the chest piece. Provides extra power for tools with the added bonus of defensive points.

3. Electric Jet pack - Grants the user the power of flight while also maintaining the basic defense of the chest piece.

4. Fuel jet pack - Similar to the electric jet pack upgrade, only without the height limit. Note: Watch your fuel levels closely, this gas guzzler could leave you falling through the air with not a care in the world. Filled in the canning machine.

The whole point is to give the chest piece it's own unique ability set rather than boring old god mode.

remember quatum and nano NEEDS to be on par with the ee armors, it needs a bonus of more than diamond.

however i do like the idea of modular upgrades. but i do not think they should all be for the chest. i think the lap pack should be for the lags and in addition to providing tools with power it should also power the other peices of the suit, but it it runs out of power it starts draining other parts of the suit, this way the whole armor set breaks at once.

the energy sheild should be a head peice upgrade but like you said it should drain power from the body unless the legs have the lap pack.

the jetpacks are good ideas for the chest.

but how would you be able to have other fuel level? for the gas one i could see the electric one working fine. but how would you implement the gas meter?

making the upgrades take energy from the suit is a good way to shorten its lifespan, but i think the hand held charger needs to be brought back becuase with the ee armor the solution i have described below. still would not be completly balanced.

if the quatum suit had a shorter duration, then the ee armors would then be really overpowered becuase they comsume nothing on hit, like i said they should use up emc to protect from per half heart of damage, i also think that everything in the ee armors should cost emc to use, but for things like the life stone in the gem armor they should become more active and provide both health and hunger but at a cost of what you would need to have in order to use them normally.

As we all know, quantum suit is the best armour in Technic/Tekkit. With your dozen mass fabricators being powered by your two hundred and fourteen HV solar arrays, you can pretty comfortably run around smacking less-armed players to oblivion while casually bathing in lava. It is incredibly OP, and for those who don't have the resources, they're pretty much defenceless... for now.

I propose a new block, that when a redstone signal is applied to it, will slowly drain energy from any IC2 items within its vicinity. I say slowly, as that gives the quantum suitor to have some chance of noticing that their item's power is dissipating, and get the royal fuck out of there. the blocks themselves, will absorb energy based on whether it's a LV, MV or HV drainer, and would have an efficiency of, say, 70%.

On the other end, have a block that can remotely charge your items and your quantum suitings. This I'm sure will balance out the workings of SMP, or maybe at least have some more shenanigans as far as adventure maps go.

i really like the idea of a drainage block, but it should not suck in power it should use power to losee power.

remember ic2 has lore. so how would this block fit in? i propose that it uses magnetic force to create negitive ions to drain the surronding area of power, including anything that is placeable and can hold a charge.

remember quatum and nano NEEDS to be on par with the ee armors, it needs a bonus of more than diamond.

however i do like the idea of modular upgrades. but i do not think they should all be for the chest. i think the lap pack should be for the lags and in addition to providing tools with power it should also power the other peices of the suit, but it it runs out of power it starts draining other parts of the suit, this way the whole armor set breaks at once.

the energy sheild should be a head peice upgrade but like you said it should drain power from the body unless the legs have the lap pack.

the jetpacks are good ideas for the chest.

but how would you be able to have other fuel level? for the gas one i could see the electric one working fine. but how would you implement the gas meter?

making the upgrades take energy from the suit is a good way to shorten its lifespan, but i think the hand held charger needs to be brought back becuase with the ee armor the solution i have described below. still would not be completly balanced.

if the quatum suit had a shorter duration, then the ee armors would then be really overpowered becuase they comsume nothing on hit, like i said they should use up emc to protect from per half heart of damage, i also think that everything in the ee armors should cost emc to use, but for things like the life stone in the gem armor they should become more active and provide both health and hunger but at a cost of what you would need to have in order to use them normally.

I'm not sure I totally agree with you. The goal here is not to make the quantum suit on par with the EE armors (both a bit stronger than diamond). The goal is to make the quantum suit a more fun and enjoyable piece of armor to use and strive for.

The point I was trying to make is that each piece of the quantum set provides it's own unique ability (speed, great leaps, scuba gear). The chest on the other hand only provides invulnerability, and while useful, isn't very fun nor balanced to play with.

By allowing you to join already existing backpacks to the quantum chest at the expense of the personal force field, it adds a bit of strategy and risk/ reward back into the armor. I usually always forgo the chest piece in favor of the Jet or Lap Packs as they are much more useful on a day to day basis. The shield, however would be vital in pvp situations. Think of it as a sort of armor lock from Halo Reach.

Limiting the user to only one attachment at a time is a fun balancing factor for the quantum set.

P.S. As to your question on the fuel gauge, it would be the same as the durability bar for the electric jet pack upgrade. You fill items with fuel in the Canning Machine. Fuel can be made from either coal or plant matter, and you can fill either fuel jet packs or fuel cans for use in the generator.

how the heck could you code that, the duribity bar can only display one stat at a time, the electric one would be easy you could just you the damage bar, but how would you display both charge and fuel?, is what i mean, and yes it does in fact need to be on par, quatum and ee need to be balanced becuase they are both really really end game armors, and they need to be able to take each other on. providing more utility and upgrades at expense of energy drain while d ecreasing the standard battery size, would make quatum alot more balanced and cool to have, we can't forget that quatum means your invicable so when you nerf it there needs to be a comp for it,a nd a decent one at that, so adding multiple upgrades possible on a full suit of armor would provide a sort of set bonus, quatum should only really be a viable option if it was fully decked out in head to toe upgrades, still a shorter invicablity but one with more power and cabibility. making it so that quatum armor has a shorter life in battle and roaming the world.

the whole point of this subject is to give quatum a sorta nerf, a jetpack would cuase more fall damage to be transfered to the suit and shorten the armors span. question would you be okay with having other upgrades on diffrent parts of the armor?

Well, as Warpspeed said, the legs, boots and head piece already have a "purpose", so I don't think it would be necessary to have them get a second function.

how the heck could you code that, the duribity bar can only display one stat at a time, the electric one would be easy you could just you the damage bar, but how would you display both charge and fuel?

Well... you wouldn't, my point was that you may only have one attachment on at a time. The durability bar would show fuel level instead of charge level. You would not be able to charge it seeing as you do not have anything that needs charging on the armor piece. (i.e. no shield, no electric jet pack). You seem to think that the suit would remain unchanged save for a few extra upgrades. That is not the case. It's protection would be lowered from 100% down to 90% (on par with redmatter and gem) seeing as diamond and dark matter are at 80% damage reduction. There would be NO shield unless you choose to forgo the other upgrades for that one instead.

I'm sorry, but I personally would prefer not to have a jetpack on my quantum armor, unless the way the fall damage is calculated is tweaked. I guess I'd have a use for the lappack module though.

You're in luck then! Jet Packs have finally been fixed in the most recent release of IC2. Pressing the mode switch key while ascending will also now correctly switch you to hover mode (were you ascend and descend slowly and harmlessly). The bug were, if you move the jet pack back into your inventory the charge bar would fill back up, has also been fixed. Jetpacks now maintain the correct amount of charge.

Finally, feathering your landing now does much to reduce fall damage, so no more random deaths from landing on pillows. :P

strange or not, they're all interesting concepts, but assuming that the core mechanics of the quantum suit isn't changed, my idea is probably going to be the easiest to impliment.

The idea of using up energy 1-1 I dislike, because honestly, the quantum suit can store masses while the person he is raiding may barely have any, so it's not balanced. if it's at a greater ratio, then I'm still not sure, with the draining, then the raided get a benefit of energy, which might be used to power traps.

The quantum sword Idea, I have no idea why it isn't already in default IC2.

And I'm not going to go into too much detail with DM/RM armour, yes, they're OP but they're usually banned on most servers regardless, leaving Quantum armour to dominate.

And I'm not going to go into too much detail with DM/RM armour, yes, they're OP but they're usually banned on most servers regardless, leaving Quantum armour to dominate.

What do you mean? Red Matter armor is only slightly better than diamond, and dark matter is exactly the same as diamond. The only difference is that they don't break. In fact, enchanted diamond armor is actually BETTER than red matter.

does not seem balanced to me, the quatum suit should have more abilitys or potenatail if it gets nerfed.

I actually read this as : The quantum suit should have more abilities or ponytails.

Not like potenatail is a word anyway :D

• 2 weeks later...