Death By Grammar

jakj

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what I don't get: what good is having a heart attack over a misplaced punctuation mark going to do? are you going to mail bashiok or whoever a report card with a big red 'F' on it for using the possessive wrong once? send a letter to the guys who make saint's row to inform them of the atrocious alphabet soup they're attempting to pass off as english? what will it accomplish?

I really think this is a problem that easily solves itself. it's a really fast way to know if someone is stupid, or too lazy to even care about appearing like they have half a brain.

I'm not going to write or call anyone. However, it says a lot about a company that does not correct simple mistakes. Last week I went to Verizon to purchase a new phone. I noticed on the counter a product for the iPhone. It displayed the iPhone as having an alarm to be snoozed at 5:20 AM. The time in the notification bar read 9:48 AM. I told the sales person that I was not planning on purchasing that item in the first place, but an error such as that one would dissuade me from purchasing it if I had planned on it.

Companies ensure their product works before they put it on the market, correct? (Don't answer that, even I can list several that don't-it's the thought that counts)

People should do the same with the way they present themselves to the world.

Today's society is a zero-effort society. If people can minimize the amount of effort invested by ignoring things like grammar or spelling or puncuation you can be damn well sure they're going to, because 'This isn't school!' or 'I'm not being graded!' are considered valid reasons.

Noted, but the "not native to English" argument is worthless in this context, because we're talking about a very large portion of the US population that hasn't even left the country for more than a week at a time for five generations and couldn't write an essay if they were handed a dick and an inkwell.

thou shall not write an essay with a dick.

Today's society is a zero-effort society. If people can minimize the amount of effort invested by ignoring things like grammar or spelling or puncuation you can be damn well sure they're going to, because 'This isn't school!' or 'I'm not being graded!' are considered valid reasons.

I've studied enough history to know that this is not a new thing. people in general have always been inherently lazy.

jawul!!

thou shall not write an essay with a dick.

for one, it's jawohl.

for two, both of these are low effort posts

for three, double posting is bad.

I'll thank you to not shit up this thread as it's been a reasonable and intelligent discussion up until these posts.

While playing SW:TOR just now, someone used "g2" instead of "got to". Yep, that's a thing that happened.

I must admit, I have used 'gtg' (got to go) in a hurry, because someone may be shouting at me, and other peeps know what that means.

There needs to be a line drawn between convenience and borderline inane laziness.

I must admit, I have used 'gtg' (got to go) in a hurry, because someone may be shouting at me, and other peeps know what that means.

There needs to be a line drawn between convenience and borderline inane laziness.

Yes, for situations such as these I find very helpful the iPhone's configurable shortcuts where, for example in this case, you can write "gtg" and it'll autocorrect that to "I have to go." or however you want to say it.

Yes, acronyms are alright when used in moderation. I use "btw" frequently, "gtg" I don't use but find acceptable, and so forth. I use "wtf" all the freaking time.

Acronyms have been part of our language for a long time, and are a reasonable form of abbreviation, because they fully-represent the original phrase in its true form (so "gtg" is okay but "g2g" is not) and it is a phrase that is used frequently enough that communication is actually -aided- by the abbreviation.

An example: "Rsvp" is used so much, it has actually become a word in itself, such that many people don't even know what it stands for anymore. Saying "rsvp" is not a timesaver anymore: It is an actual compact idea. (I hate to admit it, but "lol" has become this as well, even though I hate that word like I hate sucking on a raw lemon.)

What it boils down to is, how is the language (an actual tool of communication) improved by the abbreviation or elision? When you do something, you should take at least a brief moment to think, "Am I actually contributing anything by doing this, or is this purely for my own convenience at the expense of others', or is this actually something stupid that helps neither myself nor anybody else?".

Of course we don't all use language perfectly, and in truth, "perfect language" is a false concept because it's a matter of common agreement or momentum anyway. I tend to use punctuation uncommonly, especially colons and semicolons: I favor a more ancient-Greek construction where ideas flow from one to the other. I also randomly swap between English and American spellings as the mood strikes me, I hyphenate frequently, and I often prefer the more-logical programmerish punctuation around quotations rather than the better-flowing literary one. ([she said "Hi.".] rather than [she said, "Hi."]. The latter is better when reading a book, but the former is (in my opinion) better for actual communcation, because it is more exact.)

Don't bring logic into this, but the point of the comment is that some people nowadays hold dicks more often than they do pens.

It wouldn't matter if they never used a pen as long as they could communicate clearly, they can't. The great thing about writing long hand is it slows your thought processes making it less likely you'll make a dick of yourself and leave it posterity.

• Moderators

I find it annoying whenever i have to use google to understand what half of the forums are saying.

Words like imho... wtf is that? Is it too time consuming and hard to write down "in my honest opinion"? I was best in class at english, yet i get mindfucked by internet, every day.

and another thing, this forum is based on a modpack on a game made by swedes. Yet its in english?

GOSH TEcHiC TeAM Fix dis Shit!

I find it annoying whenever i have to use google to understand what half of the forums are saying.

Words like imho... wtf is that? Is it too time consuming and hard to write down "in my honest opinion"? I was best in class at english, yet i get mindfucked by internet, every day.

and another thing, this forum is based on a modpack on a game made by swedes. Yet its in english?

GOSH TEcHiC TeAM Fix dis Shit!

"IMHO" is far, FAR shorter than writing out "In My Honest Opinion"

the game was made by swedes, yes. it was also made in english and the people behind this mod pack speak english. thus, the forum is in english.