Kitty Jail 2: You Can (not) Escape

Lethosos

13 hours ago, TheBytemaster said:

Any ideas why this could happen? I've never seen it before or since, it's a complete mystery to me.

Jack Frost draws on your car when he's feeling creative..

Seriousy though, these patterns happen when the water vapor sublimates on the cold surface (same process as when snowflakes are formed). If you have high humidity it might condense instead (depending on temperature), which makes droplets that freeze into clear ice (as in your first pic).

Alot of ice on cars is from snow that has melted from the cars' heat, though, and that won't (generally) form crystals.

Edited by Kocken926
grey on white makes it hard to write

50 minutes ago, Mooseman9 said:

Deposits*

Sublimation is when solid water (ice/snow) changes straight to vapor.

From wikipedia: "Sublimation has also been used as a generic term to describe phase changes between solid and gas that avoid the liquid state without specifying the direction of the transition".

I was taught in school that sublimation works both way. I don't know what you'd consider an official source on this. Some quick googling tells me you're correct, but no-one bothers to use it correctly. TIL.

I've finally got a good enough replacement for plug.dj. It's not perfect, but it's easily the best one I've found now that it's been improved.

https://www.dubtrack.fm/join/kitty-jail_145808039340042

Come one, come all, come on and slam.

The system is a bit weird, but it works.

You can queue songs directly into "your queue"

Then you join the DJ queue, and they'll play

You can also make playlists and dump them into your queue

Edited by TheBytemaster

"Oh hey, I'll just sketch this up in autocad real quick"

*3 hours and 50 snap problems later*

"STOP SNAPPING TO THE DAMN ENDPOINTS! SCALE YOU TWAT! GO TO HELL YOU ANNOTATIVE FUCKWIT!"

No idea how LTSCALE even works, but it solved one of my problems so whatever.

At least you can write commands directly instead of selecting them from options, that's neat.

Ok, that's awesome. I can see the talk shows jumping on this to do "what they were really saying" skits.

I can see Anonymous or some other troll group trying to add some extra drama to the presidential race by leaking a video of a candidate saying something really horrid. Bonus points if they can successfully obfuscate where it really came from by making it look like a trump staffer tried to make it look like a clinton volunteer who tried to make it look like a cruz staffer who sanders intern who tried to make it look like a hit piece from the gop leadership.

9 hours ago, TheBytemaster said:

Well this is some slightly terrifying mission impossible type stuff right here. And it will never be misused.

I mean, offline processing is one thing, but doing this in real time is kind of scary.

"Blub blub blub I am a fish"

-Putin

"Don't believe anything you see on the internet.". Now they just need to do the same thing for voice, that'll be a breeze, right? :P

But it'll happen eventually, and then we really really actually really can't trust anything.

Here's an idea.

What if I wrote a set of programs with process names matching that of all known popular antivirus executables. Then I set up a process to monitor them all and tell me if any of them are ever killed or not running. Or maybe all of the dummy processes would all report their state to the master process every few seconds.

Any malware that chickens out upon seeing certain AV processes will leave me alone, and any malware that tries to kill my sham antivirus will blow its own cover.

Thinking further, I could also include processes for a bunch of common debugging/analysis/disassembly tools, as some malware is also know to try and avoid those. All of the sham processes could also hash their own executables on startup, comparing to a known good hash.

Thoughts?

To take things even farther, you could put the sham executables in the legitimate install locations of each of the antivirus programs you fake, and even spread some registry keys around that they use.

Edited by TheBytemaster

4 hours ago, TheBytemaster said:

Here's an idea.

What if I wrote a set of programs with process names matching that of all known popular antivirus executables. Then I set up a process to monitor them all and tell me if any of them are ever killed or not running. Or maybe all of the dummy processes would all report their state to the master process every few seconds.

Any malware that chickens out upon seeing certain AV processes will leave me alone, and any malware that tries to kill my sham antivirus will blow its own cover.

Thinking further, I could also include processes for a bunch of common debugging/analysis/disassembly tools, as some malware is also know to try and avoid those. All of the sham processes could also hash their own executables on startup, comparing to a known good hash.

Thoughts?

To take things even farther, you could put the sham executables in the legitimate install locations of each of the antivirus programs you fake, and even spread some registry keys around that they use.

i was following you until: the third paragraph....then you lost me with sham .exes and shit 

On 2016-03-25 at 6:00 AM, TheBytemaster said:

Here's an idea.

Thoughts?

50 small programs that open at boot and report their state every few seconds? Seems like it'd be a bit of a resource drain. Also, surely real antivirus-programs don't let other programs just outright kill them? And any more cheeky ways of closing them down would be lost on a dummy .exe?

6 hours ago, Kocken926 said:

50 small programs that open at boot and report their state every few seconds? Seems like it'd be a bit of a resource drain. Also, surely real antivirus-programs don't let other programs just outright kill them? And any more cheeky ways of closing them down would be lost on a dummy .exe?

Not 50, more like 10, as far as I was thinking. They usually don't, true, (although I have seen malware actually do that). I suppose a better way to go about making sure your "antivirus" is still working is to have the main process check every process against a list as it reports in, raising the alarm if one fails to report in. One thing that would be good to fake is the method that the various AVs store settings, such as turning off AV definition updates or scheduled scans. Those should be checked, obviously.

I'm not actually thinking about making this, btw, it was more of a thought exercise.

EDIT: Dang it, I just realized 2 posts ago was my 1337th post. Missed my chance.

EDIT AGAIN: Ahahahah, this is glorious, maybe I can actually run Witcher 3 now;

Edited by TheBytemaster

Heh. Taking a defensive driving course for work.

"Carrying a weapon is not advised as a means to gain control of your emotions."

"Do not use electronic equipment such as cellular phones, portable laptops, or portable fax machines while driving." I want a portable fax machine, and one of the 80's style brick phones they show in the video.

"Do not eat a full meal while driving." And yes, they showed him eating a full meal starting with the salad course.

"Beware drivers with out of state license plates."

"Use a CB radio to report a suspected DUI to the police."

"The No Zones are in front of, behind, and on the left and right sides of a semi-truck." So apparently the only blind spot free area is flying above of tunneling underneath a big rig. Good to know early 90's narrator.

"Rural areas have hazards such as farm equipment and special deer crossing areas." Well no shit sherlock.

"In case of an accident, keep your owners manual, emergency phone numbers, a spare accident report form, and a copy of your medical records in your car at all times." Yeah, I'll get right on that...

7 hours ago, Neowulf said:

Heh. Taking a defensive driving course for work.

"Carrying a weapon is not advised as a means to gain control of your emotions."

"Do not use electronic equipment such as cellular phones, portable laptops, or portable fax machines while driving." I want a portable fax machine, and one of the 80's style brick phones they show in the video.

"Do not eat a full meal while driving." And yes, they showed him eating a full meal starting with the salad course.

"Beware drivers with out of state license plates."

"Use a CB radio to report a suspected DUI to the police."

"The No Zones are in front of, behind, and on the left and right sides of a semi-truck." So apparently the only blind spot free area is flying above of tunneling underneath a big rig. Good to know early 90's narrator.

"Rural areas have hazards such as farm equipment and special deer crossing areas." Well no shit sherlock.

"In case of an accident, keep your owners manual, emergency phone numbers, a spare accident report form, and a copy of your medical records in your car at all times." Yeah, I'll get right on that...

when i went to the hospital and they asked me last time i had a tetanus shot i said "well fuck if i know, do they give those out at school" 

also a moment of silence for the anniversary of the kitty jail is today  

Edited by holymage!

Here's a question.
Have a link: https://www.caseking.de/en/pro-gamer-pc-configurator-sipc-903.html#t=a1c4f,j0m6A0

Would that be a good combination of bits and pieces to play me some games?
I don't have the financial means to buy that yet, but I'm just curious if that would be fine, or if you'd swap some stuff out for better bits and pieces.

4 minutes ago, Melfice said:

Here's a question.
Have a link: https://www.caseking.de/en/pro-gamer-pc-configurator-sipc-903.html#t=a1c4f,j0m6A0

Would that be a good combination of bits and pieces to play me some games?
I don't have the financial means to buy that yet, but I'm just curious if that would be fine, or if you'd swap some stuff out for better bits and pieces.

I'd at least swap out the i7 for an i5, very few games can actually make real use of the i7. Either way, I'd recommend waiting for the new generation of GPUs to come out before buying anything.