Kitty Jail 2: You Can (not) Escape

Lethosos

On 3/31/2016 at 2:30 PM, Melfice said:

Here's a question.
Have a link: https://www.caseking.de/en/pro-gamer-pc-configurator-sipc-903.html#t=a1c4f,j0m6A0

Would that be a good combination of bits and pieces to play me some games?
I don't have the financial means to buy that yet, but I'm just curious if that would be fine, or if you'd swap some stuff out for better bits and pieces.

I'd keep the i7 to be honest, there does seem to be a trend towards better multi threading in games.  And normally I'm a bit pro-AMD, but right now I think Nvidia is the better choice in the 980 range.  Definitely wait for the new generations of processors to come out though, if Zen and Polaris are as good as they say you'll want to consider switching over to AMD.

Also, I'd put in a larger SSD.  My C drive is 120GB as well, and it's feeling a bit cramped.

On 31/03/2016 at 9:35 PM, Kocken926 said:

I'd at least swap out the i7 for an i5, very few games can actually make real use of the i7. Either way, I'd recommend waiting for the new generation of GPUs to come out before buying anything.

Alright, thanks! Seems to be on somewhat the right track then.

3 hours ago, dwwojcik said:

I'd keep the i7 to be honest, there does seem to be a trend towards better multi threading in games.  And normally I'm a bit pro-AMD, but right now I think Nvidia is the better choice in the 980 range.  Definitely wait for the new generations of processors to come out though, if Zen and Polaris are as good as they say you'll want to consider switching over to AMD.

Also, I'd put in a larger SSD.  My C drive is 120GB as well, and it's feeling a bit cramped.

Would the OS really need more room than 120GB to run properly? The C drive would literally only be used for Windows, and everything else thrown on the 1TB HDD.
I'm not expecting to be able to buy a new PC before September, maybe October. Would the new generation of processors be out by then, both of you reckon? See, I've my mind made up now, and having decided I can't do it until September/October is hard enough as it is. ;)

8 hours ago, Melfice said:

Alright, thanks! Seems to be on somewhat the right track then.

Would the OS really need more room than 120GB to run properly? The C drive would literally only be used for Windows, and everything else thrown on the 1TB HDD.
I'm not expecting to be able to buy a new PC before September, maybe October. Would the new generation of processors be out by then, both of you reckon? See, I've my mind made up now, and having decided I can't do it until September/October is hard enough as it is. ;)

Zen/Kaby Lake probably won't be out quite by then, but frankly, as exciting as AMD being relevant in the CPU sector again is, they won't be all that important to your build. The new GPUs should be out though, and those are going to be a massive improvement over the previous generation. They're supposed to start coming out this summer, although it's important to note that this is a new process for both AMD and Nvidia, (14/16 nm vs the old 32nm process size), so they may only be releasing smaller GPUs at first until the yields improve. Even then, I'd be willing to bet money that a suitable GPU for your build comes out by fall.

As for your SSD, just Windows on 120GB is totally fine, I have a build that does exactly that. But you aren't going to get nearly as much of a speed boost if you don't install programs there too. (Remember, installed programs contribute to start up time and loading sluggishness too.) 240GB drives are both cheap and big enough to where I'd recommend getting one and installing a lot of your programs there in addition to the OS. (And they're only going to get cheaper by the time you go to build your rig.)

Edited by TheBytemaster

I've had my current PC for almost 2 years at this point.  I have 30 GB of space left over on the SSD, which isn't all that much in my opinion.  This does include the programs I've installed on it of course, since I didn't want my OS to be the only thing getting that sweet sweet speed boost.  If you install literally everything on your D drive you'll be fine on the C drive, but it would end up being a bit of a waste.

20 minutes ago, dwwojcik said:

I've had my current PC for almost 2 years at this point.  I have 30 GB of space left over on the SSD, which isn't all that much in my opinion.  This does include the programs I've installed on it of course, since I didn't want my OS to be the only thing getting that sweet sweet speed boost.  If you install literally everything on your D drive you'll be fine on the C drive, but it would end up being a bit of a waste.

a friend of mine has both, he installs things to the normal hard drive but his windows thing like moves the files that he uses more to his SDD, so his "favorite" programs always ran from the SDD....forget what he called it but it went something like that. was crazy shit. 

On 4/4/2016 at 2:04 PM, Lethosos said:

Byte, did you go and turn off the Legends Server?

Accidentally, while I was trying to get Factorio working with the firewall, yes. It is on again. Sorry about that.

As far as I can tell, the server should be able to handle both at once, let me know if any excessive slowdowns occur.

Edited by TheBytemaster

I went onto the Tekkit Legends server and started chunkloader hunting. Planetguy and Holymage, I mined your base loaders and put them into nearby chests. (As well as your nearby quarry, Holymage.) If you want to put them back, go right ahead, or let me know and I'll do it for you.

I'm trying to free up some resources so that we'll have plenty of headroom for Factorio. (The factorio server runs totally fine now with only like 3% CPU usage, but I'd like to ensure we don't hit any snags when huge factories are built.)

If you have no intention of playing Tekkit Legends on the Kitty Jail server any more, please disable your chunkloaders to help bring down the idle server CPU/RAM usage. (Or just tell me where I might find your chunkloading devices and I'll do it for you.)

Also, I had no idea that the server was out of date. The current server version is 1.0.10, for reference. If anyone wants me to update it, I will.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, dwwojcik said:

I didn't realize people drank it plain.  I thought it was for putting in other drinks, like Orange Juice.

See, that would make sense. But no, people drink it plain. For no discernible reason. It's like drinking OJ after brushing your teeth, JUST WHY.

• 2 weeks later...

So, just had this rather coherent dream for once as opposed to the usual mishmash of characters, nonsense dialogue, and 80’s CGI Hollywood effects, so I thought I’d share. Plus I can’t sleep any more now anyways.

So, here I was, just chilling out, enjoying playing muh video games, (particularly some sort of fusion of EVE Online, Warframe, and Starmade. It actually seemed like a really cool game.), when for no good reason, I became the target of a good-old-fashioned public internet hate-mob. The reason I had become public enemy no. 1 is because apparently some Mexican father had tried to contact me about helping his obese son to exercise and become healthy. I never saw his message, and apparently that translated into some sort of unforgivable sin against humanity. (shrugs)

So anyways, I started being attacked randomly inside said game, (my existence in which was also somehow tied to my ability to listen to Spotify???). First rando or two, I handily blew up, leaving naught but fragments of spaceship and angry-yet-defenseless people. After that, it started to get overwhelming.

And then the cavalry arrived. ALL of you guys swooped in, saved my butt multiple times, and we, coordinated via Skype, commenced obliterating noobs and skilled-yet-uncoordinated players alike with extreme prejudice. Lazers flew, bombs whiffed, ships were boarded and Warframes bit the floor. A massive horde of random people were bitterly defeated before the awesome might of our ragtag fleet of ships and crew. After clearing a massive buffer zone around the area of space where I usually was, which apparently no new ships could spawn in, we were enjoying a victory party. We had a pool barbecue. (But in SPACE, so cooler I guess.)

When SUDDENLY, we were all teleported into the depths of a massive, and very hostile, enemy mothership/planetoid/thing™. Our escape was epic, and, after judicious use of short-range teleportation techniques to drop missile and laser turret locks, we escaped back into open space. (and got to watch the massive ship explode death-star style for some reason, that was cool too.)

After that I guess some pop star must have died again or something, because the public stopped seeming to care about me and everyone went on with their lives. The massive void in the space game we cleared out remained as a testament to what had happened.

Real world damage to me consisted entirely of two amusingly benign and delicious vanilla cakes being delivered to my doorstep, already paid for. (I guess this was a very amateur internet hate mob???)

Overall, 8/10, still a better love story than Twilight, would buy again.

Edited by TheBytemaster

4 hours ago, Lethosos said:

ooo... what was I? A Naga-class? :D

Must resist urge to write sprawling fan-fiction.

Must...resist... ahh screw it.

You were captain and robotic operator of the heavily shielded defensive Golem-class starship Wunderschnee. Near the end of the void-clearing chapter of the story, the Wundershnee was lost along with the ultra-heavy-destroyer S.S. Mataroyale in a queen's-sacrifice gambit.

However, we were able to salvage the massive shield generator from the ship before sending it off to be destroyed. With it, a new ship was constructed for you to pilot. The Needle-class Starpiercer was created using that generator. The ship was designed as an extremely fast ramming ship, traveling along at near the speed of light, but not above it, so as not to trip warp-drive detectors. The shield generator was only able to be powered by the small ship for fragments of a second at a time, but that's all the time that was needed to pierce all but the heaviest armor. The ship would generate the needed energy by setting off a massive anti-matter reaction in its wake as it approached the target.

Similarly, the S.S. Mataroyale had its heavy main cannons removed before being destroyed. They were fixed to a new small ship, the Novabreach, using hyperspace tech, allowing it to maintain a low profile until its massive-caliber cannons were needed. This trick lead to the demise of more than a few otherwise formidable ships.

Okay, now I just want to keep writing this.

8 hours ago, TheBytemaster said:

Dreams

I assume my contribution to the cause consisted of floating in the air for two minutes before dropping out due to connection problems, as is tradition?

Also, if an internet hate mob delivers cakes to your front door I wouldn't recommend eating them,

8 hours ago, Kocken926 said:

I assume my contribution to the cause consisted of floating in the air for two minutes before dropping out due to connection problems, as is tradition?

You were the resident slightly drunk engineer of our group, hopping from ship to ship as needed when you were not aboard your Ghost-class stealth vessel, the Halberd Night. Working with our mad scientist, Dentcat, you were able to develop an experimental neutron cannon, allowing us to catch large numbers of ships off guard with their shields down. You also rescued our double agent, Richs_Yard, from the enemy after his continual relaying to us of the plans of the mob was uncovered. That was quite the white-knuckle mission, you only made it out because Okamikk happened to be passing nearby and kamikaze'd the enemy ship when he found out what was going on.

8 hours ago, Kocken926 said:

Also, if an internet hate mob delivers cakes to your front door I wouldn't recommend eating them,

I guess I wasn't in the dream long enough for the laxatives or anthrax or whatnot to kick in.

2 hours ago, Lethosos said:

Okay, I like that. I'm a fan of ramming maneuvers, anyways.

Though, "Wunderschnee" keeps me thinking I named her after Weiss Schnee, from RBWY...

Hey, you were the one who named the ship, you might have done just that.

To be fair, Weiss Shnee is "white snow" in German.

14 minutes ago, _Mataroyale_Modpacker_ said:

Excuse me?

Hey, it wasn't my idea, Neowulf was the one who came up with it. Your new ship was still pretty impressive though, nearly five sixths of her mass was weaponry when the hyperspace tech was activated. Blew a clean hole threw a small moon once, the colony on the other side never saw that coming.

So, summer is getting closer, and due to a renovation project I can't begin my summer job until the start of July, leaving me with a full moth of free time! Any ideas what I could do with this time? I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to travel, maybe go interrailing, maybe just fly to a country or two. Limited budget, obviously, but I figure at least some lodging costs can be avoided through couch-surfing and maybe even camping (though that would mean I'd have to pack camping gear...)

Does anyone here have any experience with cheapo travel, or know any good travel destinations? I'd probably stay within EU borders, but I'm interested in any travel experiences/destinations!