Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unio

Guide: Install Technic Launcher on Linux mint 17/Ubuntu 14

7 posts in this topic

Guide to install and run the Technic Launcher in Linux Mint 17/Ubuntu 14:

Q: Why is this guide necessary?
A: Because I've had difficulty finding a guide online that actually worked. And I want to share my solution with the community.

Tip: Copy the commands one at the time, and middle click/mousewheel click in Terminal to paste.

Step 1: Uninstall Java, to make sure you get the correct Java version installed.
Run the following in Terminal:
sudo apt-get-purge openjdk*

Step 2: Install Oracle Java 7.
Run the following commands in Terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

Step 3: Download Technic Launcher.
From http://technicpack.net/download click on the 'Linux' button, and download the .jar file.

Step 4: Move the .jar file to where you want the Launcher to be. I'd recommend Desktop.
Don't worry. You'll get to pick where to install the Launcher later.

Step 5: Allow the .jar file to run as a program.
Right click the .jar file > Properties > Permissions
Make sure the box is ticked next to 'Allow executing file as program'
Don't close the properties window.

Step 6: Make the .jar file run in Java.
If you've closed the properties window, see Step 5.
Go to Properties > Open With
Scroll down the list, until you find 'Oracle Java 7 Runtime'
Click on 'Oracle Java 7 Runtime' and set as default.
You can now close the Properties window.

Step 7: Install the Launcher.
It should be as simple as a doubleclick on the .jar file.
Just follow the instructions.
When the Launcher loads, close it again.
Now you should be good to go.

Step 8 (Optional): Rename and choose a new icon for the Launcher.
Right-click the .jar file > Properties > Basic
To rename the file, just edit the text.
To choose a new icon, click on the icon to the left.
If you don't already have a path to your icon of choice, open 'Home' and navigate to the folder containing the image. Then copy the path.
Now follow Step 8.
Paste the path as location, and choose your new icon and click Open.

Now you should have a working Launcher, with custom icon and name.
Enjoy.

Why would you recommend users to install Java 7 instead of Java 8? Java 8 works fine for all modpacks and is the standard towards which Mojang is pushing folks.

If you've been using Linux for any amount of time, you should know how to do all of this, thus making guides for such a thing unnecessary... Probably why you've had trouble finding one.

(Linux Mint 17/ Mac user :))

Hi,

I am very new to Linux, and am currently running mint 17.1. I believe I installed java right, when I type java -version it displays

java version 1.7.0_79

OpenJDK Runtime Enviroment (IcedTea 2.5.5) (7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2) 

OpenJDK 65-Bit Server VM (build 24.79.b02, mixed mode)

which, to my incredibly finite knowledge seems ok. However I am caught on step 6, as there is no Oracle Java 7 Runtime option. The closest option I could find was IcedTea Java Web Start, which does not work to run technic launcher, saying it could not parse the JNLP file. I have no idea what aspect I went wrong in, if you need more info to help diagnose the issue, just let me know.

Cheers

I think I followed the steps all right, but when  I start the  program its starts off just a white box. Then when I click around it only loads the things that I can click.

Also, when I try to type my username and password it says there wrong. When I know there right.

• Similar Content

• By Danny84
      Hello,
      I'm having trouble getting Tekkit Legends to launch. When I click "play" in the launcher, it validates all the files, but then just goes back to the launcher as if nothing had happened. Here is the log. I have tried resetting the modpack multiple times, to no avail. I am able to launch vanilla through the technic launcher, but not tekkit legends.
      Any help is much appreciated!
    • By Kehlani
      The bug:
      Type of bug: Launcher bug. Reproduction rate: 10/10. Technic launcher keeps crashing on me when I'm in-game due to low memory. It also does lag a decent amount.
      Shader/Resource pack:
      I use shaders and an x32 pixel resource pack. I have the same setup in vanilla Minecraft and it works fine there. Technic will still crash even without a resource pack and shader.
      The issue in detail:
      I can't allocate more than 1gb of memory in the java settings in the technic launcher. I have tried to go to advanced system settings in system and checking out the environment variables. I cannot find "_JAVA_OPTIONS" in there. I can find "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath" in the system variables but that's it when it comes to java. I just downloaded technic launcher again after a long time (around 2 years). It used to work fine and I used to be able to allocate way more ram (I believe I used 4GB back then). Technic launcher is updated. My draw distance within minecraft is set to 8. 
      OS and Java version:
      I have an x64 bit operating system. I also have java downloaded for an x64 bit operating system. I have confirmed this by running vanilla Minecraft (not technic) and putting my view distance to far. According to this post  https://goo.gl/bpK4qw , if I had x34 bit java installed it would just give me an error message but that does not happen with me. I have also made sure to download the x64 bit version of java and I have updated it.
      ALL INFORMATION ABOUT COMPUTER SPECS + OS + LOGS + MC 
      System specs:  https://imgur.com/a/ryE71LV
      250gb SSD (60gb free space) + 2TB HDD (650gb free space) (I run technic from my HDD). 750W PSU. Windows and my graphics card driver is updated.
      LOG: I tried pasting the log into paste.ubuntu and pastebin but the log is too large and my browser can't handle it (the file size is 25MB). I pasted quite a bit of the end of the log. Sorry but that's the best I can do here and hopefully, it will provide some information of importance: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/ZFGmBvcqh2/
    • By PicoMiko
      Hello everyone
      I have been trying to make a Tekkit server but I have seem to run into a problem
      Whenever I run the "launch.bat" file, I get an error from the CMD that goes something along the lines of this:
      A problem occurred running the Server launcher.java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
              at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
              at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
              at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
              at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
              at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:48)
              at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:17)
      Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader cannot be cast to java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader
              at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.<init>(Launch.java:33)
              at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:27)
              ... 6 more

Does anyone know the solution to this? I would really appreciate it!
    • By OneBeaneyBoy
      Hey guys! I could really use someone who knows how to look at java files well. I have this problem with my modpack file. Whenever I attempt to load the latest version of my modpack, it displays an error message stating:
      Forge mod loader has found a problem with your minecraft installation the mods and versions listed below could not be found
      Forge : minimum version required is 10.13.4.1614
      I was able to get the modpack working in previous versions of my modpack with less mods. I'm sure that there are simply just mod conflicts although I do not know how to tell which ones are not working. Thanks for anyone who helps

Modpack zip file
      Modpack name is: 038126
      Crash report file

• By CrazyAmphibian
      i updated my java to SE 10 (64 bit) and now whenever i try running a modpack with the newer version, the platform never launches it. when i go the the default java version, everything works fine (except the low memory).