Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unio

Guide: Install Technic Launcher on Linux mint 17/Ubuntu 14

7 posts in this topic

Guide to install and run the Technic Launcher in Linux Mint 17/Ubuntu 14:

Q: Why is this guide necessary?
A: Because I've had difficulty finding a guide online that actually worked. And I want to share my solution with the community.

Tip: Copy the commands one at the time, and middle click/mousewheel click in Terminal to paste.

Step 1: Uninstall Java, to make sure you get the correct Java version installed.
Run the following in Terminal:
sudo apt-get-purge openjdk*

Step 2: Install Oracle Java 7.
Run the following commands in Terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

Step 3: Download Technic Launcher.
From http://technicpack.net/download click on the 'Linux' button, and download the .jar file.

Step 4: Move the .jar file to where you want the Launcher to be. I'd recommend Desktop.
Don't worry. You'll get to pick where to install the Launcher later.

Step 5: Allow the .jar file to run as a program.
Right click the .jar file > Properties > Permissions
Make sure the box is ticked next to 'Allow executing file as program'
Don't close the properties window.

Step 6: Make the .jar file run in Java.
If you've closed the properties window, see Step 5.
Go to Properties > Open With
Scroll down the list, until you find 'Oracle Java 7 Runtime'
Click on 'Oracle Java 7 Runtime' and set as default.
You can now close the Properties window.

Step 7: Install the Launcher.
It should be as simple as a doubleclick on the .jar file.
Just follow the instructions.
When the Launcher loads, close it again.
Now you should be good to go.

Step 8 (Optional): Rename and choose a new icon for the Launcher.
Right-click the .jar file > Properties > Basic
To rename the file, just edit the text.
To choose a new icon, click on the icon to the left.
If you don't already have a path to your icon of choice, open 'Home' and navigate to the folder containing the image. Then copy the path.
Now follow Step 8.
Paste the path as location, and choose your new icon and click Open.

Now you should have a working Launcher, with custom icon and name.
Enjoy.

Why would you recommend users to install Java 7 instead of Java 8? Java 8 works fine for all modpacks and is the standard towards which Mojang is pushing folks.

If you've been using Linux for any amount of time, you should know how to do all of this, thus making guides for such a thing unnecessary... Probably why you've had trouble finding one.

(Linux Mint 17/ Mac user :))

Hi,

I am very new to Linux, and am currently running mint 17.1. I believe I installed java right, when I type java -version it displays

java version 1.7.0_79

OpenJDK Runtime Enviroment (IcedTea 2.5.5) (7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2) 

OpenJDK 65-Bit Server VM (build 24.79.b02, mixed mode)

which, to my incredibly finite knowledge seems ok. However I am caught on step 6, as there is no Oracle Java 7 Runtime option. The closest option I could find was IcedTea Java Web Start, which does not work to run technic launcher, saying it could not parse the JNLP file. I have no idea what aspect I went wrong in, if you need more info to help diagnose the issue, just let me know.

Cheers

I think I followed the steps all right, but when  I start the  program its starts off just a white box. Then when I click around it only loads the things that I can click.

Also, when I try to type my username and password it says there wrong. When I know there right.

• Similar Content

• By Laverage
      I have an 8g 64-bit laptop, and when I play vanilla minecraft with 64-bit java, I get high fps. But, every modpack is super laggy! When i switch to 32-bit java the modpacks run smoothly, but vanilla minecraft gets low fps. The Problem is that i have to play hexxit on 64 bit because i need to allocate more than 1 gb of ram. But on 64 Bit its super laggy in contrast to 32 bit.
      I have a 64 Bit System
      I need help. I tried everything. I love the modpack and i would like to keep playing it.
      Thank you
      ps.: sorry for my bad english
    • By TechnicPissingMeOff
      So 2 days ago i downloaded, and played Crazy Craft on the Technic Launcher. Played fine, i got off, and now today i want to play again. After having to download the installer which for some reason is the only way to launch the Application (nice going), i finally tried to play Crazy Craft again. I click "Play" and bam some message is telling me I'm only using 1gb of ram. So i knew how to fix this, just go to the Java settings in the Launcher and allocate some ram. When i had played 2 days ago i had allocated 6gb of Ram. And now the maximum is only 1gb. After about an hour of googling I'm very lost. Some people said you don't have the right version of Java, or some bs like that. Well it worked 2 days ago and i haven't done anything since to even slightly mess with Java. So if you could fix your launcher so i can play, or just make it so you don't have to select an amount of ram to bestow upon the modpacks that would be great. I honestly don't even know why there's not already an option to say "Hey i have a nice computer, use as much ram as you need so i can play the modpack with 60 fps baby."

I'd add pictures to prove i have java, but there's a "max total size" of 0.49MB. Text files easily get bigger than that lmao. And it won't let you add in imgur links either :)!

Also i can allocate 7gb of ram in the Curse Launcher so yeah.
    • By Lindah
      Hello!
      My friend recently created a server and on the first day, I was able to join successfully with no connection lag at all.
      I try joining the second and third day and every time I try to connect to the server, it instantly says "Internal Exception: java.netSocketException: Connection reset"
      Currently, I have the Java8u25 version, as I've been told it works for the Tekkit Classic Servers. My ping is said to be over 1500 on the bars for the minecraft server, however, on most other games it is from 20-50. What is going on and how can I fix this so I can play on my friends server?

• By Okktan251
      I have attempted to install the launcher on my 64-bit windows 8.1 system at least half a dozen times now. Each time I have had this screen display ad infinitum.
      i have inspected my specs and i am running java 8, with update 151. If i need to install an older version i am unaware of it.
      I would strongly appreciate any advice towards this matter.
      Thank you.

• By elvis8900
      I'm trying to run the Technic Launcher on mint linux 18.2. I can see the launcher. I just can't adjust the launcher window to access any mod packs.