Adverts?

hindos

Question

Hey everyone :D,

The technic team has recently moved to a VERY expesnive , but fancy, new hosting to accomodate to the massive activity we've been putting on it. These guys work incredibly hard to give us this modpack and even give their own money to make it happen, they are at a loss of money for this to exist. Anyway i'm quite certain that the new hosting is hard for them to support themselves and they don't accept donations,all though you can donate to the modders who made the mods in the pack, so I was thinking if perhaps we could exploit the white space under 'good evening, player' in the technic launcher for suitable advertisments. This small revenue could help them ease the pressure on themselves, would not be profitable in any way as it would go to paying the hosting, and might postpone or rid the possibility that if they were to get into a serious financial state(possibly due to the crisis) it wouldn't mean the end of technic.

Also credit to the idea goes to cheapshot as he came up with it in his post, i just didn't want it to die. If you guys don't want this feel free to veto at anytime.

Please share your ideas on this point and say wether or not you are willing to have such things in the launcher and why.

33 views and one response?

@Hindos The advertisements around the forums I see are for progressive. Most of the other ones though are for "downloading" some un-named thing, and for a photo editer, both having relivence with computers.

Did you name just change... also I honestly don't see any adverts on the forums. Might be my ad-blocker though :P

There are ads on the forums to make them free to use. They're targeted ads so they're usually about video games and computer stuff. Although before I turned my adblocker back on I was getting baby items on kijiji adds. Never a flawless system. :P

It may have just been an idea at one point, and we were never intending to put ads anywhere but the website, but it's looking more and more like we might actually HAVE to put an ad on the launcher. We were getting 1 Terabyte of bandwidth use a week earlier and that amount spiked recently. Our server wont be able to keep up for much longer, and we're already using free mirrors to load balance. They probably wont put up with us for long. On top of that we're doing something very soon that's going to shoot traffic through the roof.

All signs say we're going to have to upgrade servers AGAIN.

It seems like people are more or less ok with the idea of a small ad on the launcher, and I hope that's the case because it may make or break technic. We're of course willing to keep paying for everything out of our pockets but our pockets are only so deep before we hit the bottom and pull out lint. We're never going to ask for donations ever, since what we do relies on the hard work of modders to continue and they deserve all your donations. We would much rather just have passive ads that don't force the users to part with anything, and just help us with costs rather then have people offload cash on us.

You know even if we did accept donations, we'd run into a problem when we'd try to send the excess money to the modders and some of them would send it back saying they don't want our dirty money. ::)

It seems like people are more or less ok with the idea of a small ad on the launcher, and I hope that's the case because it may make or break technic. We're of course willing to keep paying for everything out of our pockets but our pockets are only so deep before we hit the bottom and pull out lint. We're never going to ask for donations ever, since what we do relies on the hard work of modders to continue and they deserve all your donations. We would much rather just have passive ads that don't force the users to part with anything, and just help us with costs rather then have people offload cash on us.

You know even if we did accept donations, we'd run into a problem when we'd try to send the excess money to the modders and some of them would send it back saying they don't want our dirty money. ::)

If you're still in need of funds after implementing ads, maybe you could consider a 24 hour livestreaming fundraiser. I've seen a few youtubers do this, where they livestream playing minecraft for 24 hours and fans donate. I think you guys could pull if off; a technic lp, answering questions, and even showing off some art skills. The users are simply donating for the entertainment you're providing right then. You could probably even cap it at a certain amount, or donate a percent to the modders, although imo you guys deserve some extra pocket money for all the effort you've put in and entertainment you've brought users already.

If you're still in need of funds after implementing ads, maybe you could consider a 24 hour livestreaming fundraiser. I've seen a few youtubers do this, where they livestream playing minecraft for 24 hours and fans donate. I think you guys could pull if off; a technic lp, answering questions, and even showing off some art skills. The users are simply donating for the entertainment you're providing right then. You could probably even cap it at a certain amount, or donate a percent to the modders, although imo you guys deserve some extra pocket money for all the effort you've put in and entertainment you've brought users already.

The main problem with them keeping extra money is there will be a HUGE fecal storm of people saying "The Technic teams is stealing cash from modders for what.... Compiling a modpack and editing the sprout launcher. They are a bunch of bums." Which more or less it already the view some people seem to have via a Google search I did.

As for the ad, as long as it is nothing to invasive, I don't mind small ads or text ads, but I LOATH with a fiery passion those "HEY YOU WON A NEW PS VITA ZOMG!!!" scam adds and there use of flashy lights and sound. Small, mostly relevant ads are okay with me.

Just as long as the ad doesn't lock my screen, play audio, flash too much, and isn't for a HUGE scam I am fine with them.

I'm fine with a non-disturbing irrelvant ad so go ahead technic :) , also did you consider what I suggested before about reseting the forum data every month or so whilst keeping sticky threads and the server list section?

It wouldn't be necessary. The forums are covered by the side ads and are only a fraction of our bandwidth use.

As for the ad, we don't even go near those kinds of ads. It would be the same style as those that we already have. Relevant ads that don't jump around or shake or play sound or lock your screen or try to trick you etc. Just the kind that just sit there quietly offering you mostly video game and computer related temptations.

Well, I think something should go in that white space in the launcher. Whether it's an ad, or patch notes, something would be nice.

It would be nice to try and form a few ad partnerships with some Minecraft services if you did something like that. Since that would be a good way for say a Minecraft sever hosting service to promote they offer Tekkit friendly servers or something. But not sure how much of a debate nightmare that might cause. Might want to through in a "Like these mods? Well donate to the modders who made them" with a link to whatever page would have a link to the original topics for the mods where how to donate can be found. This assumes that you have the ability to add your own adds into the ad API you would be using of course.

Sucks you can't even think about offering adspace to modders or tekkit servers since I am sure that there will be so much butt hurt that the tekkit creeper will look like what he is going through would be nicer to have done to you.

Lastly don't know if it would work but maybe you should try an include a "turn ads off" on the off chance that the ads somehow cause problems and/or mass butthurt to users so the launcher sub-forums is not flooded with "[Petition]Remove launcher ads, they suck! :( :( :( " post. Hopefully most people would leave it on in support of the pack.

• Forum Administrators

Lastly don't know if it would work but maybe you should try an include a "turn ads off" on the off chance that the ads somehow cause problems and/or mass butthurt to users so the launcher sub-forums is not flooded with "[Petition]Remove launcher ads, they suck! :( :( :( " post. Hopefully most people would leave it on in support of the pack.

I think you've been here long enough to see how we would handle that :) :) :)

I will but i'll have to learn lua first :P... anyway it was more of a joke, but now I guess i'll do it :)

I can PM you some ideas if you want. We could probably try and work on it together somehow (i don't know much lua but I am a CE major so wouldn't hurt to learn it in my off time.)

I imagine at first it will be a simple ASCII game, then somehow find a way to implement the use of turtles. For the ASCII game I wounder how hard it would be to implement a feature using the HTTP API to get actual Keller quotes from a remote server and display them as they "Pop up". If not possible just add in the best (or is it worst) stuff from the whale box.

Imagine being able to whack a Keller right after they say something like "Hai guys, 1st post!!! When is Tekkit 3 coming out? ~xxXHelenXxx".

Well enough off-topic talk of Keller bashing (literally). Back to trying to find a way to make sure there will be Kellers to bash in the future.

I'm sorry I'd love to work together, perhaps with something else in the future, but I'm busy with other projects - one in a server, my metropolis blog, and I'm currently trying to learn java so I don't want to get confused by learning many at the same time. Anyway back to adverts... will they be implemented as I don't see one yet?

To be entirely honest, asking for donations to cover 'server' costs is more then reasonable, but would have the obvious overpayment issues.

On the advert, how about offering the ad slot to people here? I'm sure people would be willing to pay for a months hosting (or part of it, if you did a rotation) to get that kind of exposure. You know, as opposed to generic targeted ads.

perhaps you could ad a tageted ad somehwere on the forums or homepage that does more then just deal with the forum hosting?

To be entirely honest, asking for donations to cover 'server' costs is more then reasonable, but would have the obvious overpayment issues.

On the advert, how about offering the ad slot to people here? I'm sure people would be willing to pay for a months hosting (or part of it, if you did a rotation) to get that kind of exposure. You know, as opposed to generic targeted ads.

perhaps you could ad a tageted ad somehwere on the forums or homepage that does more then just deal with the forum hosting?

that's a great idea, the server's can use extra money from donations to get a ad slot and get more members!