Adding mods to Tekkit. What works and what doesn't?

So I've read countless threads of people claiming certain mods work or don't work with tekkit.

Here are a list of mods I'm planning to add to my newest Tekkit server.

We could use this thread to list guides on how properly add them.

Forestry?

MoCreatures?

Buildcraft addon mods?

-Thermal expansion

Industrial craft addon mods?

• Forum Administrators

The only issue with adding these mods to a Tekkit server is they HAVE TO BE BUKKIT PORTED. No excuses. They must be converted to Bukkit in order to function at all.

Installing them is usually you dumping them into the mod directory on the server and going to town. The downside is you now have to get those same mod files (client versions, of course) together and push them to your clients that you expect to join your server, with the configs that you manually set up yourself (since they must match between server/client) since if you add something to your server, the normal Tekkit client can't connect to your server because the client won't have these mods installed. The config bit it the really, really important part, they have to match between client and server. Doing this is fine, but you destroy the biggest reason most server ops elect to use Tekkit in the first place, and that's ease of use because you can simply go 'yo go get the Technic launcher, punch in this IP, play game'.

The only issue with adding these mods to a Tekkit server is they HAVE TO BE BUKKIT PORTED. No excuses. They must be converted to Bukkit in order to function at all.

Installing them is usually you dumping them into the mod directory on the server and going to town. The downside is you now have to get those same mod files (client versions, of course) together and push them to your clients that you expect to join your server, with the configs that you manually set up yourself (since they must match between server/client) since if you add something to your server, the normal Tekkit client can't connect to your server because the client won't have these mods installed. The config bit it the really, really important part, they have to match between client and server. Doing this is fine, but you destroy the biggest reason most server ops elect to use Tekkit in the first place, and that's ease of use because you can simply go 'yo go get the Technic launcher, punch in this IP, play game'.

Thanks

I'm facing these issues now, but since I'm only doing a server between a few close friends am I able to just send them the correct client side they would need to just throw in(everyone has legit minecraft accounts) and still be able to use the technic launcher to get on?

Correct, as long as they don't update. But for Mo' Creatures, for example, you need 2 mod-directory files and 1 modpack.jar file just to get the client working. Then you have to worry about item ID conflicts with Buildcraft gears (yes, I've done this). It's a huge pain for all but the smallest servers.

Then Tekkit updates, and you have to do it all over again.

Correct, as long as they don't update. But for Mo' Creatures, for example, you need 2 mod-directory files and 1 modpack.jar file just to get the client working. Then you have to worry about item ID conflicts with Buildcraft gears (yes, I've done this). It's a huge pain for all but the smallest servers.

Then Tekkit updates, and you have to do it all over again.

Yeah after a few hours of trying to do it I'm ready to give up. Ill just pray that one day forestry returns to tekkit, and MoCreatures gets added. Thanks for the help though guys

Ill just pray that one day forestry returns to tekkit, and MoCreatures gets added.

Wishful thinking on the first, possible on the second. There's a...history between the Forestry mod author and the Technic team, and it's unfriendly. I can see Mo' Creatures going in, though, once it's more stable. Matter of fact, it's not that terribly hard to add, and the item ID conflicts are ignorable as long as no one wants fishbowls.

Wishful thinking on the first, possible on the second. There's a...history between the Forestry mod author and the Technic team, and it's unfriendly. I can see Mo' Creatures going in, though, once it's more stable. Matter of fact, it's not that terribly hard to add, and the item ID conflicts are ignorable as long as no one wants fishbowls.

I remember reading about it while it was going on, but there is always room for forgiveness. Didn't he finally remove the issue that was causing it not to work with tekkit after the fan outcry?

The 'issue' was caused by him, intentionally. This 'issue' is also not removed, it is merely disabled. Mr. Sengir made it very clear what he thinks about his fans.

Also isn't Sir Sengir now developing buildcraft? Does that mean buildcraft will eventually be removed as well?

I would assume the only way for Forestry to go back to Tekkit would be for SirSengir to change his mind. But considering the terms of the Forestry license, I doubt that's going to happen.

Public Mod Packs: All mod packs I want to include Forestry already have my permission. Please refrain from asking permission via PM here on MFC. If you are maintaining an already released and established mod pack and want to include Forestry, you are still free to pitch it to me on IRC. Do not include Forestry without asking for permission first or I will not grant permission even if you ask after the fact.

I would assume the only way for Forestry to go back to Tekkit would be for sir buttivere of dumbtable to change his mind. But considering the terms of the Forestry license, I doubt that's going to happen.

Public Mod Packs: All mod packs I want to include Forestry already have my permission. Please refrain from asking permission via PM here on MFC. If you are maintaining an already released and established mod pack and want to include Forestry, you are still free to pitch it to me on IRC. Do not include Forestry without asking for permission first or I will not grant permission even if you ask after the fact.

So did the Tekkit mod pack not ask permission before putting it into the pack? Also I noticed this guys is German. Does anyone know how the German culture looks at copyright laws and practices? This could be a cultural thing and a huge misunderstanding.

Give it a rest.

It is not a misunderstanding. It is not a language barrier.

He doesn't want his mod packed with Technic or Tekkit. End. Of. Story. Move along, nothing to see here.

You've added nothing of value to this conversation. If you look and see on the forums everyone other post is how to add Forestry to Tekkit. With time things change and maybe Sir Sengir will let it go realizing hes only hurting his fans.

Let me phrase it this way: If the fans could convince Sir Sengir to chill out about his mod being in tekkit, would the Tekkit devs add it back in?

You've added nothing of value to this conversation. If you look and see on the forums everyone other post is how to add Forestry to Tekkit. With time things change and maybe Sir Sengir will let it go realizing hes only hurting his fans.

Let me phrase it this way: If the fans could convince Sir Sengir to chill out about his mod being in tekkit, would the Tekkit devs add it back in?

I think I can safely say that this will. never. happen. But, in all likelihood, the answer to your question is probably no anyway. The bridge didn't get burned - it got disintegrated.

I missed most of the forum posts about it when it was going down. I posted on the buildcraft forestry forum and got a reply instantly from Sir Sengir today.

From his reply I can tell you I went from being a fan of Forestry to never wanting to use it ever again just out of spite.

I missed most of the forum posts about it when it was going down. I posted on the buildcraft forestry forum and got a reply instantly from Sir Sengir today.

From his reply I can tell you I went from being a fan of Forestry to never wanting to use it ever again just out of spite.

Sounds like fun. Link to the thread?

I removed it because he locked my thread.

It basically said we love your work and you should at least talk about allowing Tekkit to have Forestry. Stop hurting your fans(but in a nice way) and let the past be the past

To be honest, I'm mostly interested in Sengir's answer ^^.