Why does gem armor exist?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is a bug, I'm loving this bug.

If you asked me, I'd say that the fusion of the camp and zap upgrade is OP, so I'd say it's most likely a bug. Plus, this thread is most likely supposed to be up to date, since that's where you find the most recent version of the mod.

Well now theres 1 ring of arcana, a red matter katar, and a red matter morningstar. You can even have an archangels smite. Theres 4 slots (which is less than half the hotbar). Neither armors save inventory space. I also do not count the flying on gem as an ability. It's clunky and just as bad as a jetpack.

What do you mean neither saves space?

With quantum, you want full armor, plus ring of the arcana, plus void ring, plus klein star.

With gem armor, you're good to go.

Or you skip the rings and klein star, and we're back to gem armor having more abilities while quantum giving more protection. You can't both have the cake and eat it.

I think that the whole quantum suit thing would be much better if there was some sort of "kryptonite" (sorry, about the spelling if it's wrong, I'm not a super man fan, he's way too op (kinda like a quantum armoured player)) you could use on them, like the nano saber angainst nano armour. My sugestion is, that you have an upgraded, yes, upgraded version of the quantum suit, kind of like gem armour is to red matter armour. The helmet could have lasers in it, with all the modes of the mining laser, and one that shoots a continuous beam that damages entities but not blocks, the boots could have jet packs in it, and let you actualy fly, instead of super jump, the leggings could have a toggle function that completly removes the name plate from you, and when sneaking, makes you totaly invisible. But the chestplate is what balances all this out. It would have a function that would drain EU from a players quantum suit at a rate of 512 EUT. It could also have a second EU resovoir that can only be used to power hand held tools, not the deffensive abilities. This would certainly shake up the whole "is gem or quantum better" argument.

I think that the whole quantum suit thing would be much better if there was some sort of "kryptonite" (sorry, about the spelling if it's wrong, I'm not a super man fan, he's way too op (kinda like a quantum armoured player)) you could use on them, like the nano saber angainst nano armour. My sugestion is, that you have an upgraded, yes, upgraded version of the quantum suit, kind of like gem armour is to red matter armour. The helmet could have lasers in it, with all the modes of the mining laser, and one that shoots a continuous beam that damages entities but not blocks, the boots could have jet packs in it, and let you actualy fly, instead of super jump, the leggings could have a toggle function that completly removes the name plate from you, and when sneaking, makes you totaly invisible. But the chestplate is what balances all this out. It would have a function that would drain EU from a players quantum suit at a rate of 512 EUT. It could also have a second EU resovoir that can only be used to power hand held tools, not the deffensive abilities. This would certainly shake up the whole "is gem or quantum better" argument.

And what if two guys with this upgraded quantum encounter each other? They drain each other? Also, I'am against the built in mining laser, I'd be far too scared to use an explosive laser in my house.

Well, the idea would be you'd need to be to be about zombie attack distance to use it, and yes, exactly, they drain each other, and someone gets drained faster than the other. Hell, throw in a drain functionality to the gem armour, but make it MV, not HV drain. Also, the drained EU wouldn't go to other player, it would just go away. And also, you would be able to turn off the offensive abilities, just like the gem armour.

What do you mean neither saves space?

With quantum, you want full armor, plus ring of the arcana, plus void ring, plus klein star.

With gem armor, you're good to go.

Or you skip the rings and klein star, and we're back to gem armor having more abilities while quantum giving more protection. You can't both have the cake and eat it.

Gem armor gives you none of the abilities of any power items. Right now im using the bottom half quantum and top half gem. (I have a full set of each anyways)

Well, the idea would be you'd need to be to be about zombie attack distance to use it, and yes, exactly, they drain each other, and someone gets drained faster than the other. Hell, throw in a drain functionality to the gem armour, but make it MV, not HV drain. Also, the drained EU wouldn't go to other player, it would just go away. And also, you would be able to turn off the offensive abilities, just like the gem armour.

That sounds like a good idea! If they nerf current quantum and add an upgraded version of it then there would be balance in the force.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

quantum armor is ineffective if the person trying to kill you is using a nanosaber though so if you are on a server then i would get gem, plus people will fear you because of your resources if you have it. Also im guessing that by the time you have made the machines needed to make a full set of quantum armor and powered them you could have got the materials for gem

quantum armor is ineffective if the person trying to kill you is using a nanosaber though so if you are on a server then i would get gem, plus people will fear you because of your resources if you have it. Also im guessing that by the time you have made the machines needed to make a full set of quantum armor and powered them you could have got the materials for gem

First off, this is a two month necro. Secondly you are simply incorrect in terms of damage protection. Gem provides 90% reduction. Protection IV Diamond armor gives you 97% damage reduction. Quantum provides 100% damage reduction until IC2 is updated for 1.3.2 and is added to the Technic pack.

First off, this is a two month necro. Secondly you are simply incorrect in terms of damage protection. Gem provides 90% reduction. Protection IV Diamond armor gives you 97% damage reduction. Quantum provides 100% damage reduction until IC2 is updated for 1.3.2 and is added to the Technic pack.

Quantum is actually something along the lines of 99.99% damage reduction, not 100%. Hence why you die from a several thousand block high fall or whatever (even though damage wouldnt be CLOSE to enough to drain the armor), and why you die from 220,000 Eu/tick electrocution, etc.

I don't know why. My best guess is that while coding at some point, there was a divide by zero issue, and the person who wrote IC2 just wrote in 0.0001 or something off the cuff instead of zero to fix the error. But the result is that it's not 100% damage absorbing, and is actually rather vulnerable to certain kinds of traps, where you can kill quantum people suddenly and take all their stuff.

Also (@ Mr. Necro) I don't think nano sabers work on quantum at all. They cut through NANO instantly, not quantum, I believe.

Gem provides 100%. Red Matter provides 90%

Gem provides 100%. Red Matter provides 90%

No, gem and RM both provide 90%. Go test it. I did about 3 days ago.

Not only is this true, but it is very well known and confirmed many times over. Look up any discussion about red matter vs. quantum armor, for instance, and the #1 reason people argue for quantum armor (if they do), is that it is the only armor higher than 97% damage absorption.

Gem armor is invincible to certain kinds of things. Like lava and fall damage. But only those specific things (also, if it absorbed 100% of all damage, why do you think Eloraam would specify "it's invulnerable to lava and fall damage"? Wouldn't that just be assumed as a result of absorbing 100% of everything?)

Lol who agrees quantum looks a bit cooler?

Plus stop starting up a alchemy vs science war... thats where this is going, you guys are going off topic talking about nano sabres and power rings...

I think quantum really shows you put more work into it, using methods of getting the massive amount of power needed to fabricate the iridium to make it, Gem on the other hand is just made in a crafting bench from a bunch of things you can easily condense, quantum is too but the material isnt from EMC, it needs to be processed and crafted many times. I won't give my opinion of which is better cus they are practically equal since gem get special abilities like lightning, and quantum gets 100% damage reduction, and yes the charge lasts a hell of a long time

This argument is silly. Any fight between two full sets would drag on to infinity.

Gem armor gives you flight, so quantum can't hit you.

Quantum gives you super-sprint, i DARE you to hit a super sprinter with lightning while she's ducking and weaving, much less hit her the thousand some-odd times you would need to to kill her.