Why does gem armor exist?

The quantum is easy enough to get. I can make several sets in a day with my recycler and mass fabricator. Also, the gem does give you pseudo-invincibility, as nothing short of a super creeper or a nuclear blast will even scratch you. And, really, shooting lightning is just too cool. Nonetheless, if you want to look sexy, quantum is the way to go.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly i like both armors for a few different reasons. Quantum is pretty awesome looking but gem is missing pants (sorta ruins the look). After that they both pretty much make you impossible to kill. There are a few ways to kill them but not very many and they can take awhile to set up(or be banned). So really you might as well settle with whichever one you think is cooler.

EDIT: Also by the time you can start getting enough iridium ore to make Quantum you can pretty easily have the stuff needed to make Gem so cost isn't really the issue

... i had an idea.

if your going to have two people dukeing it out with quantum/gem armor, and the person with gem armor has a ton of EMC anyway...

why dont they use a mercural eye to trap the quantum player in redmatter blocks? if they dont have a red matter pickaxe (perhaps prefering to use the IC2 diamond drill and mining laser) then they literally cant get out, and will eventually lose all charge in their armor, suffocating to death.

not only that, a giant pillar of red matter blocks would look pretty flashy to anyone watching the fight from outside.

... i had an idea.

if your going to have two people dukeing it out with quantum/gem armor, and the person with gem armor has a ton of EMC anyway...

why dont they use a mercural eye to trap the quantum player in redmatter blocks? if they dont have a red matter pickaxe (perhaps prefering to use the IC2 diamond drill and mining laser) then they literally cant get out, and will eventually lose all charge in their armor, suffocating to death.

not only that, a giant pillar of red matter blocks would look pretty flashy to anyone watching the fight from outside.

Does the Mercurial Eye replace things? I thought it just placed them.

Does the Mercurial Eye replace things? I thought it just placed them.

C or V or something changes its modes. It has place, replace, pillar, extend, etc. modes.

Pillar mode is what you would want. Makes a frickin huge pillar in front of you, and just might work with red matter blocks.

However, anybody going into battle would surely have such mundane things as a handheld transmutation tablet, for example, no matter what armor they were wearing. You could just transmute some ender eyes and teleport out one at a time into fresh air. Even if the guy follows you, ender eyes are a lot cheaper than huge pillars of red matter blocks...

C or V or something changes its modes. It has place, replace, pillar, extend, etc. modes.

Pillar mode is what you would want. Makes a frickin huge pillar in front of you, and just might work with red matter blocks.

However, anybody going into battle would surely have such mundane things as a handheld transmutation tablet, for example, no matter what armor they were wearing. You could just transmute some ender eyes and teleport out one at a time into fresh air. Even if the guy follows you, ender eyes are a lot cheaper than huge pillars of red matter blocks...

psh! who cares about cost when you have three klein star omegas in your pocket( note: i do not actually have any klein star omegas)

psh! who cares about cost when you have three klein star omegas in your pocket( note: i do not actually have any klein star omegas)

a 3x3x15 pillar of red matter blocks costs MORE than an entire klein star omega.

So you would care... if that were your battle strategy. You only get one shot per omega. And it only takes maybe 16 ender eyes to get out of a pillar. So guess who is gonna run out first?

I think the only thing that makes gem worth it is the lightning. I think I'll just go with the helmet and quantum for the rest.

Liar, Liar, pants on fire!

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=65261

As long as you won't provide screenshots, I'm not believing you, sorry. Maybe it's a temporary bug.

Also, this is still coming up in the comments on my video. They're claiming I retextured the forcefield blocks. It's surprising how immature adults can be. I mean really, why would I want to fool people on this forum. I don't care about what you think of me. I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean I just don't care one way or the other. I wish people would just accept that I experienced a bug and mistook it for a feature. Can we all get along here, because I don't feel like winning a forum war today.

It doesn't work like that. The nukes have a fifteen second fuse, more than enough time to blow your way out with the armor's explosive abilities, lay down obsidian with the mercurial eye (ten blocks thick will probably absorb a nuke?), or escape with a red morning star (and you can bet that someone with gem armor will have that on their hotbar), or even equip quantum armor (again, most people with gem would have this.

I was on the minecraft wiki, and it says that anvils damage an entity as much as it would falling from the height the anvil was dropped from without armor. Does this mean that we can just drop anvils on quantum players, or does armor absorb anvil dammage, and the without armor thing is just for damage calculation?

I was on the minecraft wiki, and it says that anvils damage an entity as much as it would falling from the height the anvil was dropped from without armor. Does this mean that we can just drop anvils on quantum players, or does armor absorb anvil dammage, and the without armor thing is just for damage calculation?

Armor doesnt absorb anvil damage YET, because IC2 AFAIK has not been updated for minecraft 1.3.2... If it has, then you can just go ask on the IC2 forums, and they should be able to tell you how anvils behave. People here are unlikely to know either way.

Keep in mind also that in the next version of IC2, quantum was supposed to be nerfed anyway, so it might be a moot point.

It doesn't work like that. The nukes have a fifteen second fuse, more than enough time to blow your way out with the armor's explosive abilities, lay down obsidian with the mercurial eye (ten blocks thick will probably absorb a nuke?), or escape with a red morning star (and you can bet that someone with gem armor will have that on their hotbar), or even equip quantum armor (again, most people with gem would have this.

You are correct about nukes being difficult to time correctly. However, if you can predictably trick a person in gem armor into walking into a particular location, then it is very cheap and easy to kill them anyway, using electrocution instead of nukes, which does not rely on a fuse.

A simple teleporter (which you can hide underground) teleports them nearby into a room with a loop of wires that constantly generates about 10,000 EU/tick. This will kill gem armor wearers instantaneously, and can be built for very few resources (just like, one MV solar array, and half a dozen HV transformers connected back to themselves in a circle, with an exposed wire by the teleporter will accomplish this)

I know it hasn't been updated yet, but when it is I hope it's a moot point. It's going to be cool when it's all updated, because it all has to be multiplayer, so thaumcraft, logistics, and mystcraft will all be in tekkit, and there will be no technic ssp and tekkit smp anymore, just the technic pack, because all the mods have to be multiplayer, at least so far as LAN is concerned!

It's going to be cool when it's all updated, because it all has to be multiplayer, so thaumcraft, logistics, and mystcraft will all be in tekkit

No, what youre talking about is based on the API, which will not happen until MC 1.5 or later. And things like tekkit probably won't all be using it until later still. My estimates elsewhere on this forum were about a year to a year and a half from now until all of tekkit is using a single Mojang API.

All that happened in 1.3 was that SSP runs a local server, so all mods need to have some networking code in them to function. There are still, however, two separate APIs: bukkit and MC Forge, and individual mods may or may not be written to be compatible with SMP, or ported to bukkit. So things like Thaumcraft, etc. will likely still be singleplayer.

IMO Gem Armor shouldn't be in tekkit, makes it really boring. Also Nano suit and Quantum armor should be nerfed to some extent. i.e Nano armor should only be able to resist a Creeper blast to half your total health. Quantum armor should shield you from Creepers to 2 hearts. Also the game needs a rail gun to be able to kill people in quantum armor or some EMP weapon to disable the suit power for a limited amount of time.

In EE in general everything turns kinda boring end-game, tools should only go up to the strength of DM tools. Id rather have more powerful IC drills or something.

Tekkit could also use some mechanical mobs cause everything right now dies in 1 hit and noting can kill you.

IMO Gem Armor shouldn't be in tekkit, makes it really boring.

I think that gem armor is hard enough to get that it isn't op, especialy considering that it only takes 2 super creepers to kill you, which you get a lot of because of the lightning strikes.

No, what youre talking about is based on the API, which will not happen until MC 1.5 or later. And things like tekkit probably won't all be using it until later still. My estimates elsewhere on this forum were about a year to a year and a half from now until all of tekkit is using a single Mojang API.

All that happened in 1.3 was that SSP runs a local server, so all mods need to have some networking code in them to function. There are still, however, two separate APIs: bukkit and MC Forge, and individual mods may or may not be written to be compatible with SMP, or ported to bukkit. So things like Thaumcraft, etc. will likely still be singleplayer.

So, what will hapen if I click "open to LAN?" I know about bukkit and forge, but I assumed that forge was used to some degree on the server as well. I'm actualy pretty clueless about how tekkit actualy works.

So, what will hapen if I click "open to LAN?" I know about bukkit and forge, but I assumed that forge was used to some degree on the server as well. I'm actualy pretty clueless about how tekkit actualy works.

Forge is a clientside API. It modifies virtually all of the clientside class files, and then acts as a middleman by providing variables and methods that multiple mods that use it can share with each other. Thus, 2 mods can both screw around with the same class file without interfering, because forge moderates between the class file and those two mods.

Bukkit does the same exact thing, but for the server .jar instead of the client .jar.

So anything that gets done on the server computer (the guy running a multiplayer server) uses bukkit, and stuff (like rendering) that is done on the client uses forge.

Tekkit is just a collection of good mods that all use forge clientside and that use bukkit serverside, and thus can all play nicely together, with minimal effort (mostly just making sure block and item IDs don't overlap, etc.).

In MC 1.3, a number of features that used to be handled clientside are now instead handled serverside, and I believe that some of the serverside features were essentially duplicated to the client as well, to allow for LAN. Not sure of the specifics, personally. But regardless, I know two things for sure:

1) Mojang does not yet have its own intermediary program that communicates between either client or server, and multiple conflicting mods. Thus, 3rd party APIs are still necessary.

2) There is still a distinct client and server. The balance of features on one versus the other changed in some way, but neither completely melded into the other. Thus, we still need at least TWO 3rd party APIs (bukkit and forge), and there will still be some mods that choose to only make themselves essentially "singleplayer" (no non-local server code other than the LAN stuff), meaning there will still probably be a tekkit and technic.

Yes I think EVERYONE would be happier if Notch and Jeb focused on modding api instead of adding USELESS CRAP like witches, anvils, and whatever ludicrous devices are in it now. But this is beside the point. I intended this thread for someone to justify the insane price gap between them and nobody seems to be able to. It seems like all we can agree is that both have advantages and it comes down to the skill level of the user.

Yes I think EVERYONE would be happier if Notch and Jeb focused on modding api instead of adding USELESS CRAP like witches, anvils, and whatever ludicrous devices are in it now. But this is beside the point. I intended this thread for someone to justify the insane price gap between them and nobody seems to be able to. It seems like all we can agree is that both have advantages and it comes down to the skill level of the user.

Actually, the modding API is unlikely to be as good as what we have already, and almost certainly can't be better. Anvils in Vanilla, on the other hand, are pretty nifty.

Actually, the modding API is unlikely to be as good as what we have already, and almost certainly can't be better. Anvils in Vanilla, on the other hand, are pretty nifty.

Not at first. But it will get better. AND it has a much greater potential to allow servers and clients to communicate natively, since it is all by one company, not two separate projects. Making it much more likely for servers to be able to do crazier things without their players having to download anything to play, which is likely to unlock a major revolution for minecraft, depending on how powerful that relationship is.

Not at first. But it will get better. AND it has a much greater potential to allow servers and clients to communicate natively, since it is all by one company, not two separate projects. Making it much more likely for servers to be able to do crazier things without their players having to download anything to play, which is likely to unlock a major revolution for minecraft, depending on how powerful that relationship is.

Yeah, but its all by one company with a horrible track record when it comes to understanding what people want from their product. If they had brought in the Forge folks, or Risugami, maybe things would end up doing well, but as is odds are remarkably slim.

Yeah, but its all by one company with a horrible track record when it comes to understanding what people want from their product. If they had brought in the Forge folks, or Risugami, maybe things would end up doing well, but as is odds are remarkably slim.

Didn't mojang bring in some bukkit devs? Mojang needs to make it so you can natively add mods in an easy to do way and have them automatically be compatible. I'm talking about something like the steam workshop. If there were to be an equivalent to this for minecraft, modding would be much improved in terms of access and installation. Also I'm sure mojang would make it easier to code mods or add a program like the skyrim creation kit. Basically if the minecraft modding community were as well supported by developers as the Skyrim community, we would not only see great mods like we already do, they would be 1 click install with auto-update and zero compatibility issues. I currently have 58 skyrim mods easily but if I wanted 58 minecraft mods it would be a pain in the ass to install if I'm not lucky enough to have them in the technic pack.