For people who get a "Update failed!" message

Industrial Miner

Question

What I would suggest is to run normal minecraft (the non-techniclauncher minecraft), download a clean 1.1 jar from an official minecraft website (google it) and replace the 1.2.3 jar file with the 1.1. Then you could manually install any mods you want until the "Update failed!" gets fixed.

21 answers to this question

Nope. The update is failing because the launcher is searching for the 1.1 minecraft.jar, but it downloads from the minecraft original server, who updated it to 1.2, the launcher assumes the file got corrupted and shows a error message.

You just have to manually download a minecraft.jar from 1.1 and put it into the bin folder of the TP launcher. It will download the other mods and config everything else normally.

I dont have a clue. I'm searching for it. I need to test my new CASUC reactor, and I want to test it now D:

EDIT: I dont know if its trust worthy, but I found something.

*snip*

Use it at your OWN risk.

I SWEAR TO GOD YOU GUYS ARE ALL FUCKING STUPID. I WILL NUKE EVERYONE. QUIT. UPLOADING OR LINKING. JARS.

What I would suggest is to run normal minecraft (the non-techniclauncher minecraft), download a clean 1.1 jar from an official minecraft website (google it) and replace the 1.2.3 jar file with the 1.1. Then you could manually install any mods you want until the "Update failed!" gets fixed.

Actually from what I have seen on github the launcher is designed to take a fresh 1.2.X install and backport it to 1.1 (much like how AdventureCraft works). There is the chance that a recent update is causing problems with the backporting script and is making a FUBAR'd jar (much like what happen if you tried and use ZombieCraft with 1.1 while coros was away). It should be fixed soon but don't hold your breath. Till then you can do what Industrial Miner AT YOUR OWN RISK or just play some vanilla. There is a nice batch of new features if you didn't play the snapshots so it should be enough to tide you over while the Technic team works it out. If I figure out a dirty fix that doesn't let people with illegitimate Minecraft play as well I will post it (this assumes that I can trick launcher into thinking it has the proper files in a way that Johnny the MC pirate can't just pop in his illegal one and enjoy the Technic pack as well).

Always save your worlds by the way. Also be sure to check the recycling bin as you might be able to save it.

I think I know what the problem is! It is the MD5 checksum. The 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 checksums would not be the same so whenever the game updates the launcher says "Now lets check for errors, the checksum should be 3a452bf839" and when the games says "Checksum? Sure it is 934ab9f4c83." the launcher replies "Nope, file is corrupt re-downloading." It is programmed to only do this 3 times and since all 3 times games 1.2.3 checksum is compared to the checksum for 1.2.2 it see it has invalid and tosses it out. The fix so we just need to wait for the team to replace the checksum and possibly the backpatcher (since it likely expects to remove lines from 1.2.2 code and 1.2.3 has a few changes).

I think I know what the problem is! It is the MD5 checksum. The 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 checksums would not be the same so whenever the game updates the launcher says "Now lets check for errors, the checksum should be 3a452bf839" and when the games says "Checksum? Sure it is 934ab9f4c83." the launcher replies "Nope, file is corrupt re-downloading." It is programmed to only do this 3 times and since all 3 times games 1.2.3 checksum is compared to the checksum for 1.2.2 it see it has invalid and tosses it out. The fix so we just need to wait for the team to replace the checksum and possibly the backpatcher (since it likely expects to remove lines from 1.2.2 code and 1.2.3 has a few changes).

This is correct:

[12:13:43] [sEVERE] [info] Downloading 'minecraft.yml' from 'https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/minecraft.yml'.

[12:13:49] [sEVERE] [MD5 Mismatch] File '\launcher\tekkit\modpack.yml' has md5 of '985c2aa1edaa1f5fdeb50949b72235ab' instead of '868284372721b3ea99670f3453ebae73'

[12:13:49] [sEVERE] [info] Downloading 'modpack.yml' from 'https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/tekkit/modpack.yml'.

<snip>

[12:13:55] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[12:13:59] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[12:14:07] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

Hopefully the staff has time to correct this soon.

I am getting the exact same "Update Failed!" problem.

One possible solution I'm trying--as I play both from work and home (don't tell) is packing up my working one and copying it wholesale to my non-working one, removing and replacing the non-working folder in entirety.

I realise this likely isn't an option for most people, but just for research purposes I'd like to know, and am sharing my results with everybody.

Doing this on my Linux boxes--I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hmm, looks like I'll let you know on Monday as the file transfer will take more time than I have available here today.