CB++ upgrading (Tekkit 3.1.2)

Sp0nge

just to help you out here KenBeanNet

We run a 2.4Ghz CPU as well and we can get 50 players online and our TPS are 100%.

We do run CB++ and CentOS ( linux)

Linux is just sooo much more stable then Windows can ever be. Also we run the server version so No GUI also helps getting loads of the Server hardware.

Things that do strain CPU:

Exploring huge areas

Letting dynmap run on stock settings

Mod items licke block braikers

Other most things are fixt by the autostacker of CB++ or the growth reduce by CB++

You need to know servers like Nettify probebly run 3.8Ghz CPU's and since MC is still a "single" core application it will benefit more from a Higer GHZ cpu then one with more core's

Ofc a Pentium 4 will not beat a Quadcore even if the GHZ are higher since the CPU argitecture is a lot older.

Edit:

To compare ( or me want to show off hardware two :P)

We run:

2x Intel Xeon E5645 ( 6core's 2.4Ghz)

40Gb Corsair 16000Mhz Ram (overkill Tekkit only uses 7Gig at max!)

4 Corsair Red's in raid 0 for optimal speed (1Gb write speed)( this is complete overkill for MC but we run other things on this server for my company)

4TB Backup drives in raid 1

The Minecraft runs about 72 hours before it needs a reboot.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greed,

Thank you for that. It seems that the overlying difference between all posts is simply the OS. It is either that or corruption in my map. We do have people with mass farms of MSFU's but I can't see that causing an issue. I am using CB++ version 75 now so I assume that would the same as you.

I do plan to purchase a 5687 processor which is only Quad core but massive speed. I wonder if I can run Ubuntu in a Hyper-V and still get good results or if I have to install the base OS as Linux. I also do use my server for personal mail hosting, but if I switch I won't be able to.

Sigh.

well i sugest CentOS witch is basicly redhead and is masivly stable !

Also do some more research on your CPU's If you dont care on core's and only want Per core power

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/27213/Intel-Xeon-Processor-5080-4M-Cache-3_73-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

These are only 2 core ( 4 with hyperthread) but give a lot more punch/core

NEVER go like " oh this costs more so it MUST be better" since everyone uses it for something differently ! also take into account what the power usage of those CPU's is 130W a peace. Make sure your PSU is up to that load 24/7 and your backup power as well since these drain more since these are no "E Series"

Working on server hardware is a lot more then just plomping another CPU in there ( comming from experianced server maintainer)

I'm running 50 slots server and have no luck with CB++.

With normal Tekkit.jar (that comes with zip file) my server has about 16-20 TPS.

With CB++, it drops down to 1 TPS and players start to spam "lag"!

EDIT: I take that back, it was a Towny problem.

What was the towny problem?

The server TPS dropped down to 0.1. I run the nolagg exam for 5 ticks and I saw generating chunks. So I guessed it was towny regenerating wilderness even that I disabled it.

But even when I took out Towny the TPS dropped down to 0.1 again after 2 hours of running.

After that I used original Tekkit.jar and it's running now 24h+, without TPS drops.

Don't know where the problem is. Maybe in CB++? But since soo many servers using it, it should not be ...

To monitor TPS, you can use LagMeter instead

I could be wrong, but LagMeter constantly polls you server. I know one of those plugins does. It just displays the average over 5 seconds or something.

As DoctorSLO said, NoLagg with virtually everything disabled is the way to go. You get the examiner for free...who wouldn't want/use that? We've found so many shitty plugins with that examiner. No need to fire up VisualVM and knock everyone offline, just run the examiner for 25 seconds.

Nolagg still works in the background, pulling out and performing random commands (well not random). And we are using JVisialMV for real monitoring, but not all knows howto use it, or even manage to read the outputs properly (it dont knock anyone offline if done correctly)

Well, im not in charge of that, our dev is. We would not use it if ppl were knocked out, that would kinda not make us able to log anything. We did a 2h record today, with people on, noone got kicked etc.

Hmm, okay. Everyone gets booted off ours because of all the injections and then they can sign back on, no problem.

Edit: you sure he isn't just monitoring? Profiling will pause the application (and everyone disconnects).

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone having an issue with CB++ spamming the chat with "Block Placed: XX" every time you place a block? I have tekkit-restrict installed also, and thought it was that originally, but have removed tekkit-restrict and CB++ is the only other recent change..

Is there any documentation on it's settings?