Water stuff (tank and cargo boats, buoys, etc)

Weylin

Something I find missing are features based around building and transporting stuff on and across oceans.

Boats are very fragile, and only useful as cheap personal transports, but what if this was extended to allow players to create large sturdy ships that can carry out various roles?

Cargo barges? Tankers? Oil platforms?

Something I find missing are features based around building and transporting stuff on and across oceans.

Boats are very fragile, and only useful as cheap personal transports, but what if this was extended to allow players to create large sturdy ships that can carry out various roles?

Cargo barges? Tankers? Oil platforms?

Tankers are do-able with motor frames. Oil platforms don't even need any other mod then BC, and Cargo barges are basically a tanker where the tanks are replaced with chests. However, it would be nice if we could do something that doesn't look like a buggy, stuttering mass of blocks. Isn't there a custom boat mod coming along somewhere? I've heard about it, but don't remember where.

2 main things, which should be easy enough:

- buoys/floats, which would be blocks that can be placed on water and help support structures out on the water (You can use lilly pads to help create an ocean well I guess...)

- larger boats which can carry chests or tanks, and can be driven or moved along with water currents.

Is that doable? It could work a lot like the minecarts, only if you right click the boat instead of the storage, you'll operate it.

2 main things, which should be easy enough:

- buoys/floats, which would be blocks that can be placed on water and help support structures out on the water (You can use lilly pads to help create an ocean well I guess...)

- larger boats which can carry chests or tanks, and can be driven or moved along with water currents.

Is that doable? It could work a lot like the minecarts, only if you right click the boat instead of the storage, you'll operate it.

If you see the buoy's as something similar to Zeppelin's mod motors, yes this is most likely doable.

That buoy idea is the best thing I've ever heard. Just a special block that can be placed on water, much like lilypads, and supports construction. So you could make things like floating roads and rails.

But... Any block can fly on the water, if you ask me, it's more a question of retexturing a block to make it look like a buoy.

You need to pillar it up from the seabed to get it to be on the surface, I'm talking about a block that you can just place directly onto the water like lilypads.

Well, it's not like you can't destroy this pillar afterward. :P

But I guess it would remove one step of the building of floating structures. And it would look neat.

So you need space age trans-dimentional technology to remove 60 block dirt columns without drowning to death.

Anyhow, the concept of the buoys/float blocks is intended to have the same use as scaffolding; it makes construction easier, faster, and avoid ridiculous dirt towering

8 rubber in a square = 4 floatation blocks? -shrug-

maybe can be colored with painters or something...

The floats could maybe also have a dampening quality so boats are much less likely to break when bumping into them

What if the float blocks could be used in a recipe to convert minecarts into a boat/cart hybrid?

The carts could be moved by water currents, maybe even over lava in the nether, and then be moved more precisely by tracks.

• 2 weeks later...