Could not reserve enough space for object heap

havocx42

Question

This is a copy paste from my post in a thread on the General Tekkit SMP board here. I thought it should be here as well/instead.

To fix the following error:

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not create Java virtual machine.

Edit(right click > edit) the launch.bat so that it contains the following:

java -Xmx1G -Xms512M -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

You should also think about whether you have enough RAM to be running the server.

Some other things that have come up:

The server folder name cannot include "!", this probably applies to other special characters as well.

If the server complains "too small initial heap" you most likely forgot the M on -Xms512M

Some more details.

G=Gigabyte

M=Megabyte

So Xmx specifies the maximum size of the heap. it does not limit the amount of memory tekkit will use, only the heap which is one use for memory.

Xmx should be less than total free memory, AND if you are running 32bit java it should be less than 1.5G.

If you get stack overflow errors you should increase this value

Xms specifies the initial size of the heap, its not that important in this case, ideally keep it around what the server uses right after it starts up, 512M is plenty for me, this should never really need to be changed.

Hey I know this is an older chain, but I've been trying to set up a Tekkit server and have been having issues. I'm trying to work through it one step at a time. Currently I am at the object heap issue. I have attempted changing the sizes listed in the batch file but it keeps giving me the same issue. I am using Jre7 and attempting to make a server for Tekkit 3.1.2. Am I altering the wrong folder perhaps? Any help would be greatly appreciated and hope all is well!

I get the same error as most of people here do, but installing Java 7 and deleting Nether Ores didn't help at all... I have Windows 7 32-bit, Java SE 7u25 JRE and 4GB ram. Tekkit build 3.1.2 if helps. And here's the image of the error, hopefully I captured it all.

ezimba14945821073400.png

I get the same error as most of people here do, but installing Java 7 and deleting Nether Ores didn't help at all... I have Windows 7 32-bit, Java SE 7u25 JRE and 4GB ram. Tekkit build 3.1.2 if helps. And here's the image of the error, hopefully I captured it all.

[uote]

I could be way off course with this one, but it looks to me like the space that the server is trying to allocate for the data is being taken up by another program.

I could be way off course with this one, but it looks to me like the space that the server is trying to allocate for the data is being taken up by another program.

It could be possible, but for a noob like me... Heh. I think I need some serious instructions...

This is a copy paste from my post in a thread on the General Tekkit SMP board here. I thought it should be here as well/instead.

To fix the following error:

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not create Java virtual machine.

Edit(right click > edit) the launch.bat so that it contains the following:

java -Xmx1G -Xms512M -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

You should also think about whether you have enough RAM to be running the server.

Some other things that have come up:

The server folder name cannot include "!", this probably applies to other special characters as well.

If the server complains "too small initial heap" you most likely forgot the M on -Xms512M

Some more details.

G=Gigabyte

M=Megabyte

So Xmx specifies the maximum size of the heap. it does not limit the amount of memory tekkit will use, only the heap which is one use for memory.

Xmx should be less than total free memory, AND if you are running 32bit java it should be less than 1.5G.

If you get stack overflow errors you should increase this value

Xms specifies the initial size of the heap, its not that important in this case, ideally keep it around what the server uses right after it starts up, 512M is plenty for me, this should never really need to be changed.

YOU FUCKING BOSS I WAS LOOKING FOR HOURS ON HOW TO FIX IT <3

*Give that man a cookie*

I have a PC with 16GB of RAM, why cant i use more then this --> java -Xmx1G -Xms512M -jar Tekkit.jar nogui pause? And when i play on my server it is lagging so mutch you cant really do anything.

Is there anything else that culd cause this problem?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error message: Error occurred during initialization of VM

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

And as i said my PC has 16GB RAM and 64 bit.