Out Of Memory Woes

AnnaMayBelle

Question

I just installed the Technic Pack Launcher the other night, fully updated it, and launched Tekkit onto the Puggit server (which just became a Tekkit 2.0 server a few days ago). I first thought it was odd that it seemed to hang on the Mojang screen for about 15-20sec. Within moments of logging in, my game slowed to a crawl, and soon threw the "Out of Memory" error. I upped my allocated memory from 1gb to 1.5gb, to no change. I rebooted, reinstalled Minecraft and Tekkit 100% fresh, and continued to face the same error. This time, I watched my task manager, and realized my Minecraft installation runs afoul of the 'Out of Memory' error, at only 362mb of usage! It's also using around 30%-40% CPU usage.

I reloaded the launcher and opened Technic SSP instead, started a brand new survival map, and it ran into the same issue moments later. I then launched Vanilla Minecraft through the launcher, and again, the same problem! At this point I became concerned it was either a Java or basic Minecraft issue, so I did a fresh install of Minecraft and ran it directly without use of the launcher, and while it used considerably more memory (over 700mb), it ran as smooth as silk! Anything run through the launcher (Vanilla, SSP, Tekkit, YogBox, etc) has this issue.

The following are my system specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

4gb of ram

AMD Phenom II 3200 Mhz Quad-Core

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

3 answers to this question

After several days of fumbling with it, I finally just screamed, tore out a chunk of hair, and nuked both of my Java installations as well as any trace of Minecraft or TechnicPack off of my computer, then reinstalled it all fresh. While reinstalling pieces at a time did nothing for me, the solid wipe seems to have fixed it. Now it works fine. Go figure.