Minecraft Fiction

AetherPirate

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Woo! Four Star Review from onlinebookclub.org!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017CMP760

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=31470

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nether Here Nor There: A Minecraft Adventure" by John Connelly.] 

id48070-125 Based on one today’s most popular games, Nether Here Nor There: A Minecraft Adventure by J. T. Connelly is a Science Fiction novel which follows a mind boggling, precarious adventure chock full of excitement and peculiarity. 

When Amanda’s parents decide to “be in the moment” and organize a camping trip to a beautiful valley, which Amanda claims to be “the prettiest part of Hell”, all she feels is dread. Trapped in the idyllic countryside, sans electronics, it’s a trip she doesn’t look forward to. While exploring her surroundings and hammering rocks with her younger brother Paul, they stumble upon a portal and encounter Professor Mobius who wants them to complete a mission. As Amanda finds herself in a bizarre world comprised of physics, mystery and magic, she knows that her vacation is anything but tedious.

The main thematic concern of the novel is Minecraft. For those who don’t know, Minecraft is an online game that enables players to dig (mine) and build (craft) extraordinary creations out of three dimensional cubes. With the use of dramatic visualization, the square 3-D theme was highlighted throughout the story, and the basics of core gameplay were brought out well. I’ve learnt that there are several modes of Minecraft – from survival to creative, but with tricky missions and transition planes, there was much emphasis on the ‘adventure mode’; although the influence of several other modes could be observed. With no specific steps and goals, Minecraft is referred to as a sandbox game, which means the players create the game themselves. This concept was utilized effectively in the development of the plot and in characterization. 

Though I envisioned Professor Mobius as a crazy genius, as the story progressed, I realized that he is the perfect embodiment of Minecraft. At a certain instance, he describes himself as “an inventor, tinkerer, privateer, scientist, and opportunist”, elucidating the sole purpose of the game – to mine and to craft.The transition of the characters Amanda and Paul from two ordinary children to hardcore fighters is quite interesting. The story reveals how the duo grows more insightful and experienced, learning from their mistakes throughout the hectic adventure.

The physics of Minecraft is often described as unrealistic, and it is evident that the author had put much effort in making the story sound believable. However, the alchemy in the story seemed a bit too far-fetched. 

This fast paced story is written in third person, with the author paying much attention to detailed descriptions. Therefore, it is my opinion that a reader with a little knowledge of Minecraft could enjoy this story, as much as a Minecraft gamer. I’d recommend this book to Sci-Fi fanatics and Minecraft enthusiasts all around the world. With fireballs, cool inventions and daunting creatures, you know that there’ll never be a dull moment in the book. It’s the kind of book which can be enjoyed irrespective of the age of the reader, since it blends popular concepts in a most remarkable manner. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Nether Here Nor There: A Minecraft Adventure 
View: on Bookshelves

Like VinuW's review? Post a comment saying so!

Edited by AetherPirate

• Moderators

I've been reading that teens prefer to have a physical book over an e-book. Ironically, I prefer paper books myself too. So I'm learning how to make a printed book using Amazon's Createspace, after I cleanup some typo's and other issues in the e-book. What are your thoughts about printed vs electronic books? 

• Moderators

Book arrived, looks mostly OK. Things I plan on tweaking are typesetting, cover, and more hunting for typos. Might try a glossy cover. Went with matte, would like to compare. 

Received my first Amazon review, five stars! Reviewer was someone who played modded minecraft, it was nice to see the concept works with at least one reader. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Received my 2nd five star Amazon review recently, which was very encouraging. For those of you  who enjoy reading Minecraft-based fiction, what do you enjoy most? What do you look for in a book in general?

• Moderators

haven't read any minecraft-related in a long while, but if there's something I enjoy about books it is the struggle of the protagonist on his journey.

he has to be likable, not run-of-the-mill final fantasy emo teen. Someone who I can relate to

Once the character is done the secondary concern is the history and landscape surrounding the character.

I prefer medieval theme, magic and monsters are not necessary but doesn't hurt if it fits

good luck with your book(s)

• 5 years later...