Help Reducing CPU Usage/Lag

Abysinian

Hi there,

I've been looking all over at what different people say cause lag and high CPU usage etc., and here's what I've done so far:

- Blacklisted Cobble for Block Breakers (stop cobble farms)

- Stopped the Deployer from using Bone Meal (stop dark room farms)

- Banned all anchors

- Uninstalled a couple of plugins I wasn't using

Unfortunately my CPU usage is still still at 100% almost all the time and my console is producing a lot of "Can't Keep Up!" messages. Strangely though, when the CPU is at 100% and these messages are coming in, there's often no lag in-game at all.

Are there any other things I should ban or blacklist or plugins I should remove/add to help with my problems?

I'm also curious as to why certain things cause the lag that they do, so if you know go into as much detail as you can!

EDIT: Is there anywhere to find specific blocks in my world so I can go remove them? Anchors weren't banned to begin with so I know people have placed them (I've found a number and removed them myself manually).

PLUGIN LIST

- Essentials

- PermissionsEX

- Buycraft (Donations)

- Votifier

- Multiverse (Core/Inventories/NetherPortals)

- Factions

- McMMO

- GriefPrevention

- WorldGuard/Edit

There are deplyoersettings in RP that can remove said machines. Blazerod, you will need to alter EE2 urselfe to sort. Also, mobs, are a real lagthingy, if u have real lagissues, i would consider trying to dissable them and see if it gets better. We are using LagMeter ingame to monitor current TPS (as of now, its been pretty accurate for us atleast).

you can't claim for there to be no lag, what your really need is a TPS meter, that is a bit more refined then breaking a nearby block and saying oh no lag, download a plugin called lag meter, it will tell you your server TPS (ticks per second) if its below 10 your server is lagging, though i find at 10+ tps the game is still decently playable. a really good TPS is 20+

You don't really need to know:

Okay.. quick tip: Would be nice to know some basic information.

Lay this format out please.

Operating system:

RAM allocated to java:

Java verison:

Processor:

don't need to know any of this since its apparent the lag due to his hardware as it is, reason for posting was he knows its laggy he is trying to do something about his setup.

why would you even need to know his java version -_-, its obvious that hes running the latest since he has a running server...

you can't claim for there to be no lag, what your really need is a TPS meter, that is a bit more refined then breaking a nearby block and saying oh no lag, download a plugin called lag meter, it will tell you your server TPS (ticks per second) if its below 10 your server is lagging, though i find at 10+ tps the game is still decently playable. a really good TPS is 20+

don't need to know any of this since its apparent the lag due to his hardware as it is, reason for posting was he knows its laggy he is trying to do something about his setup.

why would you even need to know his java version -_-, its obvious that hes running the latest since he has a running server...

Oh goodness. Apparently he's all the help you need.

I'll be on my way.

I got NoLagg and the majority of the time it sits at 20 TPS and the lowest (when there were about 40 people online) was 10-12.

There's to many problems with NoLagg on tekkit to run efficiently, it would be wiser to run craftbukkit++ than nolagg, like items that you mine would disappear which was a huge issue, almost game breaking for miners. I don't recommend using it but if it works for you that's fine.

What Diablooz is saying. Dont use Nolagg, use CB++ isntead. Ive made a post about that in this section, u just gotta search for it. And just install LagMeter instead. That only logs the TPS and not altering anything in regards of gameplay like Nolagg does.

Beside that, when its getting real laggy, one option is to remove all mobs from the server, as those has some pretty bad code.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting bad TPS, I have like a 4-10 TPS most of the time.

125 People Online

14GB of Ram

"E3-1270 v2 @ 3.5GHz (Dallas)

* 16GB DDR3 RAM (+$7)

* 128GB SSD (+$15)

* No Secondary Drive

* 100Mbit + 5TB Bandwidth

* 5 Usable IPs

* Multicraft Included

TOTAL - $152"

Is the for show info.

CPU 100% too.

• 2 weeks later...

But the Admin can't go around and cleaning it up all the time.

If it's really that bad, depending on how long your current world has been going, you might want to consider a reset. But before you do, make sure you really nail down a plan of action to stop the issues with lag that you've been having, otherwise you'll just end up in the same situation a week or two down the road. I had to do this at one point and it worked like a charm, my senior staff and I talked it all out for a good while and came up with a solution that suited our server.

There's very little point in an overhaul of your restricted/banned items, etc. on a world that's been going for a long time because too many will already be out there causing the problems. People will bitch because it's a reset, but they always do, the sensible ones will understand why as long as you explain it properly.

While I agree you can't have an Admin who just goes around trying to find these things all day, you do need to have your staff regularly check on things, even if it's just /vanish-ing and teleporting around to see what people are up to every so often and if you spot something that could be a problem just have a word with the owner of it. If you do this, however, you need to have an alternative for them, you can't just say "This setup is laggy get rid of it or I will", that's pretty harsh and unhelpful, you need to try and make sure you can say "This setup isn't ideal because <reason (e.g. these pipes are leaking)>, but if you did it <this way (e.g. using RP tubes)> it would be much better".

Hope this helps a little.

On my server i have rules about machines, factories and large factories, what is ideal, and guidelines to "large" factories. When i say an admin to clean up, its mostly an Admin who enforces the factories rules and guidelines, if the machine/factory isnt up to regulations the factory gets quarantined (all energy sources are isolated and air blocks around and inside the machine are replaced with bedrock. It's not fair that one player builds laggy factories and ruins it for others who build their factories according to the rules and guidelines.

TekkitRestrict stops chunk loading errors caused by world anchors, quarries etc, install that to remove lag. Plugins such as NoLag can actually lag a server.

What server do you administrate on? Just disable everything on NoLagg and use it for a plugin examiner.

• 2 months later...

Depending on your set up, I suspect mcmmo is lag culprit. If you have nolagg installed, turn off all the features bar examine (nolagg sucks for creating lagg o.O, exmaine is only good feature). Kick start your server, get a few people running around and then /nolagg examine [some-amount-of-time-in-ms] and check out the results.

More often than not, mcmmo is way at the top. Usually hitting 400+ms / 10000ms examined. Which doesnt sound a huge amount, until, you compare that with 100+ms from the chunk loader (often a good ear mark for a heavy load)

Also look at removing wireless redstone addon from your /mods. It will account for roughly 80% of cpu tick usage within any given time frame. Even when not being directly used, because it runs constant server checks looking for wireless redstone even when there is none (badly coded).