Recovering old saves?

Okay so here's the deal. I started up tekkit like I usually do the latest version and for some reason (I didn't notice this the first time) the mod option wasn't listed and when I went into my save all my tekkit items were deleted and replaced with patch not found. I managed to get that part fixed but all of my items and stuff associated with tekkit have been deleted and I just want to know if there is any way to recover a save from earlier today like 8 hours ago or something like that since and call me stupid if you want, I don't entirely know how to back it up. I know I will probably get comments saying I'm an idiot but if someone can help me or if its not possible just tell me that would mean a lot to me. To be honest I just want my old gear back since I've been working on this for a while.

If anyone knows of a website that will allow me to do a system restore through the website please let me know. I can't use system restore because of the laptop I am currently using being a school laptop.

Are you playing Tekkit SSP? Although it works, did you know that Technic is for SSP and Tekkit is for SMP?

Anyways, if the whole .techniclauncher\tekkit folder is gone, then you are quite out of luck. If the stars align and you sacrifice a cow then you might be able to recover the folder with a file undeleter or file recovery software. You should use Google to find such a thing. However, be aware that the longer you use your HDD the lesser the chance of recovering the files. It all depends on how much free space you have on it. The best you can do is shutting off your PC and putting the HDD in another PC and then run the recovery programs from there. Maybe someone else can advice you what software works best. I know that the same people that made CCleaner also makes a undeleter program, check this: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Another way is if you have a recent Windows system restore point. If you do then you can rollback and hopefully get your folders back.

Are you playing Tekkit SSP? Although it works, did you know that Technic is for SSP and Tekkit is for SMP?

Anyways, if the whole .techniclauncher\tekkit folder is gone, then you are quite out of luck. If the stars align and you sacrifice a cow then you might be able to recover the folder with a file undeleter or file recovery software. You should use Google to find such a thing. However, be aware that the longer you use your HDD the lesser the chance of recovering the files. It all depends on how much free space you have on it. The best you can do is shutting off your PC and putting the HDD in another PC and then run the recovery programs from there. Maybe someone else can advice you what software works best. I know that the same people that made CCleaner also makes a undeleter program, check this: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Another way is if you have a recent Windows system restore point. If you do then you can rollback and hopefully get your folders back.

Well this is a school laptop so it won't let me use system restore and I do have the folder so like my basic structure and stuff is there just any items to do with tekkit were deleted now to do with SSP and SMP I don't have a clue what that means same with HDD.

But If you can explain it in a more simple term (sorry if that is asking a lot I'm very appriacative of what you've given me so far) so I can understand I don't usually have problems so I don't usually check in with forums and thus don't have an understanding of a lot of this stuff. Another thing I should mention if I need to install some form of program for a system restore it needs to be an .exe file since thats all I can download on this computer. However the other computer idea I would like to explore if you could explain that a bit further that would also help.

Once again thanks for the help you've provided.

In the Technic launcher login screen, click options and check to see if "Include worlds when doing automated backup" is checked. If its not then your out of luck, If it is your worlds will be saved in a backup file.

It was and always was but I don't understand what to do from there

What I meant was that the Technic Pack has two "mod-packs". One called Technic which has many SSP (survival single-player) mods that won't work on multiplayer. The other version is called Tekkit which has fewer mods but is for SMP (survival multi-player). So usually if you are playing single player you want to be playing Technic but if you are playing multiplayer you want to be playing Tekkit. However, it is possible to play Tekkit single-player although not many people do so. HDD means hard-disk.

If you are playing Technic then your world save is stored in this folder:

.techniclauncher\technicssp\saves

But if you were playing Tekkit on single player then your world save is stored in this folder:

.techniclauncher\tekkit\saves

Go there and check if your wold save is there. It's just a folder with the name of the save. If it isn't there then you will have to try one of those file recovery programs. But if it's a school laptop then you probably won't have Admin rights to install the programs and you probably won't be able to remove the hard disk so you are probably quite out of luck.

Goto C:\users\your name\appdata\roaming\.techniclauncher\tekkit\backups there will be a zip file you can open, it has all your settings and a worlds folder in it.

If you cant find the appdata folder and you have windows 7, open "my computer" on the top left click organize, then click "folder and search options", then click the view tab, then near the bottom it will say "Hidden files and folders" and make sure show hidden files, folders, or drives is selected.

What I meant was that the Technic Pack has two "mod-packs". One called Technic which has many SSP (survival single-player) mods that won't work on multiplayer. The other version is called Tekkit which has fewer mods but is for SMP (survival multi-player). So usually if you are playing single player you want to be playing Technic but if you are playing multiplayer you want to be playing Tekkit. However, it is possible to play Tekkit single-player although not many people do so. HDD means hard-disk.

If you are playing Technic then your world save is stored in this folder:

.techniclauncher\technicssp\saves

But if you were playing Tekkit on single player then your world save is stored in this folder:

.techniclauncher\tekkit\saves

Go there and check if your wold save is there. It's just a folder with the name of the save. If it isn't there then you will have to try one of those file recovery programs. But if it's a school laptop then you probably won't have Admin rights to install the programs and you probably won't be able to remove the hard disk so you are probably quite out of luck.

I guess you are right, yes I do have the folder for tekkit and I do use single player because I could never really grasped the consept of running a server (not that the laptop would let me) however I might be able to remove my hardrive and put it in my parents old computer which they let me use as a backup computer since the systems are basically the same I might be able to do a system restore that way and fix the problem.

Goto C:\users\your name\appdata\roaming\.techniclauncher\tekkit\backups there will be a zip file you can open, it has all your settings and a worlds folder in it.

If you cant find the appdata folder and you have windows 7, open "my computer" on the top left click organize, then click "folder and search options", then click the view tab, then near the bottom it will say "Hidden files and folders" and make sure show hidden files, folders, or drives is selected.

Okay it has all the settings but no world folder I honestly don't know why but it never seemed to back up the world despite the fact I even checked most times I went online to see if the backup was clicked.

Okay it has all the settings but no world folder I honestly don't know why but it never seemed to back up the world despite the fact I even checked most times I went online to see if the backup was clicked.

Oh? that sucks :( Oh wow, I just checked myne and my world folders arent in the backup either anymore. They used to be.....

*Fingers get caught in real beard" Its not worth it lol

Well I guess I could trick my school IT into doing the system restore saying I accidentally lost an important family photo that was deleted from the camera and something like that just say I deleted something important and only realised after I deleted it, that it was important. *Evil grin*

Recovering files is a kind of an art. Professional companies charge thousands of dollars to recover lost files but if you feel daring then there are some ways of doing it yourself like using recovery CD's that will run a recovery in offline mode.

The obvious moral of this story is always back up your save files. Always do this whenever installing a new mod or updating your Tekkit/Technic version.

This

Well I guess I could trick my school IT into doing the system restore saying I accidentally lost an important family photo that was deleted from the camera and something like that just say I deleted something important and only realised after I deleted it, that it was important. *Evil grin*

Lol

The obvious moral of this story is always back up your save files. Always do this whenever installing a new mod or updating your Tekkit/Technic version.

Yes that is a good moral however I always have it so it will back it up but for some reason it hasn't been also another thing is. I don't install mods. (Don't know how to not really interested in learning either)

Yes that is a good moral however I always have it so it will back it up but for some reason it hasn't been also another thing is. I don't install mods. (Don't know how to not really interested in learning either)

Super simple 2 steps to mods

1.download mod (in zip form)

2. Drop it in .techniclauncher/technicssp or tekkit/mods folder

Done.

Careful double posting, mods hate that :P

I really hope you get your world back, I know how losing a world you worked hard on can be devastating.