MultiVerse, Anyone?

Thrystor

Before I went from Bukkit to Tekkit, MultiVerse was one of my major plugins. Now it throws errors left and right! Half of EE is broken and there is quite a bit of lag.

My server host says I just need more RAM. That is, a gigabyte more, which costs me a hundred bucks or so. Any bright ideas? If not, I'd like to recommend MultiVerse compatibility to the developers.

Multiverse breaks a lot of things in Tekkit.

Specifically orientation of machines, a lot of EE things only work on the primary world and general weirdness. Your only real option is to live with the issues, or not run MV and wait until 1.4, which should allow the mod API to deal with all this and it should "just work"

First of all, you need to change server hosts if an extra gb of ram costs you a hundred bucks, that is stupidiculously expensive given todays ram prices, you could buy the ram yourself and ship it to them for less than that.

Secondly, the main issues which come out of all multi world plugins, not just multiverse, from my experience are a result of the mod makers assuming there is always going to be a max of 3 worlds loaded (world, nether, end), or in the case of EE and stuff like trans tables there's a bug with their tick math which stops it processing on certain worlds. I would suggest staying as far away from multi world plugins as you can unless absolutely necessary, any multi world plugin you use which creates and loads new worlds WILL break transmutation tablets. EE also has a lot of things coded in such a way which, as mentioned by Wendo, only work in the main world. Unless you want to/can fix the problems with those mods, or aren't particularly bothered about those mods breaking, multiworld plugins = big nono.

I can confirm this: every multiworld plugin that I've tried tends to break modded block orientations, machines and the like, if more than one world is loaded. As long as only one unique world is loaded (with -nether and -end), things work fine. I actually have MV running on my server, for its portals and such, and as we have only one world, there are no errors with it. However, the moment I generate a second world, things start breaking.

Also, a hundred bucks for +1 GB RAM? That's a rip-off - and it won't solve your problem anyway.

The way my server host works is I buy slots and they come with RAM. I might switch though. The other odd thing was that I had no problem at all with block orientations, just almost everything in EE. Either way, I'm probably going to switch my server back to vanilla (at least for now) just because of all of the extra maintenance Tekkkit needs (griefing tools, glitch exploits, etc.).

I run a server with multiverse, 1 main survival world and 2 creative worlds, without nether or end world cause i will include nether and end biomes with TC soon.

Not a single problem with multiverse or EE with this settup here.

I run a server with multiverse, 1 main survival world and 2 creative worlds, without nether or end world cause i will include nether and end biomes with TC soon.

Not a single problem with multiverse or EE with this settup here.

Interesting. How much RAM do you have? I've found that the more worlds I use and the more players are on the more glitches I find.

Interesting. How much RAM do you have? I've found that the more worlds I use and the more players are on the more glitches I find.

I have 3gb right now, and so many plugins.

Key with multiverse is to configure it to NOT keep all world's spawn in memory. In my server only the main world's spawn is kept in memory, the others are only loaded when a player joins them. I have more maps in my server, but those are for testing purposes and only admins can join them. With this setup, it makes no difference having 1 or 10 maps, at least not that i have noticed.

You can do lots of things to minimize ram/prevent lag, for instance one of the things i did was to create an Engineer rank in my server and only allow Engineers to use certain things that would surelly cause lag in the hands of the wrong people. Things like BC's pipes, nuclear reactors, etc, are only managed by qualified people that will not create infinite pipe loops, or leave machines unatended, if they fail they loose the rank or even get prisoned in our deadly jail, so no one is failing so far :)

Multiverse aint the issue, the mods are. Update them, problem fixed!

I know that MultiVerse is fine in Bukkit, so the mods getting fixed would probably solve the problems. Of course, I'd say they should first try to get it updated to 1.3.

Most mods are compatible with the 1.2.5 version of Multiverse (refering to your OP). Its not about ramissues, 3gig ram should be more than enough to support Multiverse and Tekkit.

However whats another issue, you can really controll what players build, leaky machines, overfilled RP pipes etc. But thats a totally other issue in this ... For EE, there is another post about that where i posted a reply.