There is a new common problems thread

Zebrin

Question

Mod edit: This thread is being retired in favor of a new one. Thank you Zabrin for creating this one.

Please look at this thread for current information.

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,4191.0.html

IF THE LAUNCHER ACTUALLY LAUNCHES POST YOUR NEWEST LOG (the one called launcher_0.log) ON www.pastebin.com THEN THE LINK HERE. LOGS ARE FOUND IN .techniclauncher/logs

Ok, there have been a lot of people opening threads asking the same damn questions that have already been answered several times before. This thread is for the hotfixes and work arounds that have already been found. Do NOT ask questions here. They will only shit up the thread. If you do not see a fix here, and have one feel free to post it and PM me so that I can update the op. Anyone who does ask a question in this thread will be ignored at best.

Windows users: The Technic Pack is downloaded to C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher

It is a hidden file, so go to your Control Panel, select Folder Options, and in the view tab turn view hidden folders on.

Mac users. The Technic Pack is downloaded to ~/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher

Problem: When using the launcher, It opens, says "Checking Launcher Version" And then shuts down. Spout does not open afterwards.

Reason: Unknown.

Solution: Go to AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher and open the techniclauncher.jar file in java. It will open the launcher, and will let you play technic through spout.

Problem: Unable to change mods Using the Mod Select function.

Reason: Likely you don't have .cfg files set to be read yet.

Solution: go to AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\technicssp\config and right click on any of the .cfg files there. click open with and set it to always run with notepad.(Macs use textedit) Now you can change mods within the launcher.

If the option is greyed out just click on the big technic logo and it should become active again.

Problem: 'Can't find java directory'

Reason: Likely using an old version of java. Or the wrong type.

Solution: Try downloading the Java 7 version here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre-7u2-download-1377135.html

Also if you are using 64 bit windows try installing the 64 bit version then setting it as the default Java used in your controlpanel.

Problem: Norton deletes the file when I download it. citing "WS.Reputation.1

Reason: The program is new, without a large company behind it.

Solution: Get a new Virus scan Right click on the Norton security suite icon in the lower right hand corner near your clock, and disable the antivirus auto protect. just set it to turn on again in 15 minutes if you feel uncomfortable about it being off.

Problem: NEI won't let me cheat!

Reason: It is locked into recipe mode.

Solution: Well if you really want to cheat so badly you go into AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\technicssp\config and find the NEI.cfg file(Note, NOT the mod_notenoughitems.cfg file) In there find a line that says

"lock_recipe_mode=true" and change it to

"lock_recipe_mode=false"

Problem: I can't turn off NEI(And a couple other mods) through modloader.cfg!

Reason: Those mods are not in the mods folder, so modloader doesn't have anything to do with them.

Solution: Sorry but, looks like you are going file hunting. If they are not in the mods folder that means they were hard added to the .jar meaning you will have to find out what classes they added and changed and revert them the hard way.

Problem: Ok, I tried everything, and the .exe still wont work!

Reason: Varies.

Solution: Well, if you can't get the technic-launcher.exe to work, download the .jar itself and run that through java. You can find it easily under the mac version of the technic pack. (Which is not mac specific, just a .jar.)

Problem: I am running the launcher, but every time I select Login it freezes at a white screen!

Reason: The "Latest Light Weight Java Games Library Binaries" option doesn't work for everyone.

Solution: Turn off advanced lwjgl.

Problem: The latest LWJGL binaries option wasn't on and I am still getting a white screen.

Reason: Varies.

Solution: First, try going to AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\technicssp\bin and open the jinput.jar in 7zip. Delete Meta-INF. If that doesn't work nuke the .techniclauncher folder and re-download it.

More to come as more solutions are found.

• Answers 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Re: Common Problems (And their solutions)

Also java 7 is up to Update 2 if you can update your link to point to the latest version of java would be good.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre-7u2-download-1377135.html

Also the exe tries 4 different ways to find java itself now (I was updated after launch, if you hover over it the name has changed)

I looks in:

- default java registry location (which should be there if java installed properly)

- then tries looking through your PATH Environment variable (http://java.com/en/download/help/path.xml)

- then tried looking for the JAVA_HOME Environment variable

- And lastly if all else fail it tries to manually scan for the Java directory in Program Files.

If none of these work then it fails with an error. Keep in mind the last 3 were added after launch to help fix problems.

Also if you get to the point where the launcher starts up and then have problems then please got to %appdata%\.techniclauncher\logs and copy the contents of the log file with .0 in its name to a service like pastebin.com and then paste the link along with your problems to this forum

• Forum Administrators

Anyway we can get this stickied?? Will start sending people here that do not use the search function.

Agreed It would also be nice if this link was posted on the location people download technic from.

Done and done.

IMO, you need more than 2GB of ram to run the new SSP because it runs through the alternative launcher. Is there a possibility in the future for using the old downloader to modify the .minecraft file so it doesn't crash every time i try to play?

EDIT: I just found the files within the .techniclauncher file and I will now continue with messing with them hopefully getting them to fit into the .minecraft file.

EDIT: I can't get it to work T.T I'll just wait for information.

IMO, you need more than 2GB of ram to run the new SSP because it runs through the alternative launcher. Is there a possibility in the future for using the old downloader to modify the .minecraft file so it doesn't crash every time i try to play?

EDIT: I just found the files within the .techniclauncher file and I will now continue with messing with them hopefully getting them to fit into the .minecraft file.

EDIT: I can't get it to work T.T I'll just wait for information.

Ummm you need 2 gb to run the launcher? I don't think so. I am on a P.O.S. p4 3.0ghz with only 1.5gb of ram LOL. I play minecraft with no problems @ all.

Moving files around after the launcher does its job is not a good idea. It may look odd to you but the launcher put the files there for a reason. Try turning mods on/off in the modloader.cfg instead of moving stuff around.

Problem: Unable to change mods Using the Mod Select function.

Reason: Likely you don't have .cfg files set to be read yet.

Solution: go to AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\technicssp\config and right click on any of the .cfg files there. click open with and set it to always run with notepad. Now you can change mods within the launcher.

If the option is greyed out just click on the big technic logo and it should become active again.

For some reason the .cfg files are not in my config

Zebran can you also add a section where if people are having issues running the game once the launcher has started that if they could put their log online that would help me find exceptions and try and fix the issue.

The logs are usually found in the .techniclauncher\logs directory and the one labelled.0 is the latest. If they then paste the contents of that file on a site like pastebin.com and then paste the link it gives them on this forum then I can get a better look at what is happening or not happening.

Cheers

Running TechnicSSP 6 via bash and bypass new launcher

I'm running on Linux and the new launcher seems to be working quite well. Gratz!

I know this is a highly odd question, but hoping someone else is interested in doing this as well and can help... How would one run a technicssp 6 minecraft install from a bash script (bypassing the launcher and automatic updates)?

I've got this script that seems to work well for me to assemble a classpath, but it's not picking up the latest technic pack, I assume there's something else needed other than $MC_HOME = ~/.technlauncher/technicssp ? I did notice that there's some new jars in the minecraft bin directory, so I modified my script to pickup those.

#!/bin/sh

MC_BIN_DIR="${MC_HOME}/.minecraft/bin"

NATIVES_DIR="${MC_BIN_DIR}/natives"

JVM_ARGS="-Xms512M -Xmx2048M -Xincgc"

JVM_ARGS="${JVM_ARGS} -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath=${NATIVES_DIR}"

JVM_ARGS="${JVM_ARGS} -Dnet.java.games.input.librarypath=${NATIVES_DIR}"

JVM_ARGS="${JVM_ARGS} -Duser.home=${MC_HOME}"

JVM_CP=$(find $MC_BIN_DIR -name \*.jar | xargs echo | sed s/\ /:/g)

# technic mod pack creates lib dir also

MOD_LIB_DIR="${MC_BIN_DIR}/lib"

if [ -d "${MOD_LIB_DIR}" ]; then

JVM_CP=$JVM_CP:$(find $MOD_LIB_DIR -name \*.jar | xargs echo | sed s/\ /:lib//g)

fi;

echo $JVM_CP

JVM_MAIN="net.minecraft.client.Minecraft"

JAVA_CMD="/usr/bin/java"

${JAVA_CMD} ${JVM_ARGS} -cp ${JVM_CP} ${JVM_MAIN}

exit 0;

zophar its trickier because the spout launcher loads minecraft.jar and then loads at runtime the modpack.jar contents over it before it launches it. So if you want to give it a go I suggest copying the directory out and then copying the contents of modpack.jar into minecraft.jar and then launching it like you were.

thankx agelian and sorry to muck up the thread... hoping to help some folks (and post a working script) for similar setups, but no dice yet... if you might happen to have a link as to sprout and how this process works, it would be greatly appreciated

zophar its trickier because the spout launcher loads minecraft.jar and then loads at runtime the modpack.jar contents over it before it launches it. So if you want to give it a go I suggest copying the directory out and then copying the contents of modpack.jar into minecraft.jar and then launching it like you were.

here's my attempt at what agelian suggested, if anything looks horribly wrong here, a reply is very much appreciated

#!/bin/sh

LAST_DIR=$CWD

MC_BIN_DIR="${MC_HOME}/.minecraft/bin"

NATIVES_DIR="${MC_BIN_DIR}/natives"

JVM_ARGS="-Xms512M -Xmx2048M -Xincgc"

JVM_ARGS="${JVM_ARGS} -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath=${NATIVES_DIR}"

JVM_ARGS="${JVM_ARGS} -Dnet.java.games.input.librarypath=${NATIVES_DIR}"

JVM_ARGS="${JVM_ARGS} -Duser.home=${MC_HOME}"

# technic (sprout) build fat jar from minecraft.jar and modpack.jar

if [ -e "${MC_BIN_DIR}/modpack.jar" ]; then

FAT_DIR="${MC_BIN_DIR}/.fat-jar"

if [ -d "${FAT_DIR}" ]; then

echo "${FAT_DIR} already exists"

exit 1;

fi;

cd $MC_BIN_DIR

mkdir $FAT_DIR

unzip -q -d $FAT_DIR -o -u minecraft.jar

rm -rf "${FAT_DIR}/META-INF"

unzip -q -d $FAT_DIR -o -u modpack.jar

cd $FAT_DIR

zip -q -r "${MC_BIN_DIR}/minecraft-modified.jar" .

cd $MC_BIN_DIR

mv minecraft.jar minecraft.jar.orig

mv modpack.jar modpack.jar.orig

rm -rf $FAT_DIR

fi;

cd "${MC_HOME}/.minecraft"

JVM_CP=$(find . -name \*.jar | xargs echo | sed s/\ /:/g)

# technic mod pack creates lib dir also

if [ -d lib ]; then

JVM_CP=$JVM_CP:$(find lib -name \*.jar | xargs echo | sed s/\ /:lib//g)

fi;

JVM_MAIN="net.minecraft.client.Minecraft"

JAVA_CMD="/usr/bin/java"

${JAVA_CMD} ${JVM_ARGS} -cp ${JVM_CP} ${JVM_MAIN}

cd $LAST_DIR

exit 0;

result:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:438)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.b(Minecraft.java:431)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:298)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:624)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

Zebran can you also add a section where if people are having issues running the game once the launcher has started that if they could put their log online that would help me find exceptions and try and fix the issue.

The logs are usually found in the .techniclauncher\logs directory and the one labelled.0 is the latest. If they then paste the contents of that file on a site like pastebin.com and then paste the link it gives them on this forum then I can get a better look at what is happening or not happening.

Cheers

While I could, that sounds like it would need it's own thread until a solution is found. Since you are a mod, you could make a sticky for posting pastebins of that and include the information there. I want to keep this thread for confirmed fixes. Otherwise it gets too scatter-shot. This is also why I said not to post questions here. This thread isn't for FINDING the solutions, it is for the solutions that are already found.

Please someone help me i love technic pack but my installer when i click on it says

Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application and the title of the error is TechnicLauncher-v0.2.exe .net framework initialization error

Any help would be awesome because like i said i love this pack so much

"Saving Chunks" bug

i have been using the technic pack launcher since the day it came out. its awesome yet i cant play my world that i had been working on due to a screen that pops up with "saving chunks" and crashes. everytime i log in and load the map it goes straight to that screen. I can no longer play my awesome world that i built. it started when i placed a energy teleport pipe on a golden energy pipe. whats the deal technic team? please fix my problems so i can get back to my world again and continue enjoying the technic launcher.

Re: "Saving Chunks" bug

i have been using the technic pack launcher since the day it came out. its awesome yet i cant play my world that i had been working on due to a screen that pops up with "saving chunks" and crashes. everytime i log in and load the map it goes straight to that screen. I can no longer play my awesome world that i built. it started when i placed a energy teleport pipe on a golden energy pipe. whats the deal technic team? please fix my problems so i can get back to my world again and continue enjoying the technic launcher.

I was having the exact same problem :/ I just realized it's that the old world somehow crashes the launcher. Hence, me asking if it was possible to just update the minecraft.jar but I think it's just the world. Just restart although it may be hard :/ I have been building my butt off to try and recreate my old city.