"Update Failed" and a solution

Niall_

Question

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IF YOUR LOG HAS LINES LIKE THIS IN IT

Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.2'.

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

THIS FIX WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU AS IT IS A SEPARATE ISSUE

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

• Answers 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), place this minecraft.jar in your .techniclauncher/cache folder, rename the same minecraft.jar to minecraft_1.2.5.jar and then run the launcher again.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm.

Confirmed working on win7 x86

Presumably wherever the Technic Launcher gets the minecraft.jar (note: the Technic launcher doesn't get them from Mojang - this information is incorrect, I apologise) must have accidentally retrieved the wrong copy of minecraft.jar.

This worked perfectly for me, bravo man.

Presumably whoever hosts the minecraft.jar (note: the Technic launcher doesn't get them from Mojang) must have accidentally updated to the latest minecraft.jar, tekkit only uses minecraft 1.2.5.

That's exactly what I was thinking, something along those lines.

/* NOTE!!! I did not rename my minecraft.jar file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar but minecraft_1.2.5 because the .jar extension was already associated with it and it would in turn rename it to "minecraft_1.2.5.jar.jar" Just a friendly note for those who might not know.

Thanks again man.

This worked perfectly for me, bravo man.

That's exactly what I was thinking, something along those lines.

/* NOTE!!! I did not rename my minecraft.jar file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar but minecraft_1.2.5 because the .jar extension was already associated with it and it would in turn rename it to "minecraft_1.2.5.jar.jar" Just a friendly no for those who might not know.

Thanks again man.

Good idea to point that out, i believe it comes down to your folder options and whether you enable seeing the file extension, which is disabled by default in windows 7

This only seems to work for technic and tekkit, any of the other mod packs this doesn't work for

Good point, i just tried and failed to load the others as well. Is there any consensus as to what the issue is? Is it an individual issue on peoples computers, something with the 1.4.2 update, or something on technic/hack n mine/ etc's end?

so, hypothetically, would they work if we also copied and renamed the appropriate .jar files into the cache folder? also, what about hack n mine?

In theory. I haven't updated yet, so I haven't had a chance to try. But it should work, provided you use the proper .jar files. I can try hopping on the Forge IRC to see if any of them know what could be causing the problem, but I doubt it. The spoutcraft launcher is not our area of expertise. I know basically how the launcher works, but I haven't had time or inclination to dig in a fork to see what makes it tick. As for Hack/Mine, I believe it is on MC version 1.2.5

In theory. I haven't updated yet, so I haven't had a chance to try. But it should work, provided you use the proper .jar files. I can try hopping on the Forge IRC to see if any of them know what could be causing the problem, but I doubt it. The spoutcraft launcher is not our area of expertise. I know basically how the launcher works, but I haven't had time or inclination to dig in a fork to see what makes it tick. As for Hack/Mine, I believe it is on MC version 1.2.5

Thanks, I'm very new to all of this, and just tried out technic yesterday for the first time. Is the forge irc the appropriate place for discussion of the technic launcher and stuff?

Thanks, I'm very new to all of this, and just tried out technic yesterday for the first time. Is the forge irc the appropriate place for discussion of the technic launcher and stuff?

Definitely not. The Forge IRC is where all the Minecraft Modders who use Forge (and a few who don't) go to discuss code, modding, and more code.

hack/mine is running on 1.2.3 just got it working with the above solution and the correct jar file

ah, thanks for the correction. I could've sworn that H/M was for 1.2.5 oh well.

i have tryed this and it didnt work for me i went on the link dragged the download directly into my .technic launcher cache and renamed it but to no joy i still got the same message can some 1 tell me what im doing wrong

That made very little sense, explain it better and we can help better.

Definitely not. The Forge IRC is where all the Minecraft Modders who use Forge (and a few who don't) go to discuss code, modding, and more code.

ah, thanks for the correction. I could've sworn that H/M was for 1.2.5 oh well.

is there an IRC for this game/modpack? it'd be nice to have somewhere to go to ask questions and discuss things. Technic seems to be taking the original minecraft and expanding by adding 4 additional games worth of material, haha

is there an IRC for this game/modpack? it'd be nice to have somewhere to go to ask questions and discuss things. Technic seems to be taking the original minecraft and expanding by adding 4 additional games worth of material, haha

I believe there's a link to the technic IRC in the homepage of technicpack.net

I don't go on there much, as the IRC Chat Client app I use doesn't work with it.