Costume - NCR Ranger

Cheap Shot

I decided to make my own thread for my costume build. I'm making a crude NCR Ranger costume from Fallout: New Vegas. It's my first costume build so I have no idea what I'm doing. I will probably end up remaking everything again after Halloween since I'm not pleased with the fit and quality. Right now I'm moving to a new apartment Nov 1st so I'm packing non stop, and just got back from a wedding. Means my time has been limited and I've been rushing through this. All things considered I've done alright.

Here's the real deal so that you can compare my costume side by side and be more disappointed.

3F3EK.jpg

LgAcr.jpg?1

Current Level of Completion ^

UfIjd.jpg?1

Started out cutting bits of foam core and hot gluing them together. Bought a study costume army helmet.

ZxlHI.jpg?1

A little more progress. Had to cut off the nose and reshape it to be less derpy.

kvJdq.jpg?1

hb7PE.jpg?1

ho7cs.jpg?1

jZ6vT.jpg

Somehow the helmet ended up not fitting snugly like it was before. If I want it to sit right I'll have to take apart all the junk on the side so that it sits properly. No time to do that before Halloween oops! Also there's a serious fogging problem on the lenses. Of course :(

EL wire is tucked in around the eye sockets. I may try tinting the lenses red as well but not until after Halloween.

zuXsS.jpg?1

Looks alright!

Holy shit Cheap! Did you just give up and go buy a replica from the game? That looks amazing. Too bad it won't be ready for Halloween though. Do you know what the total time you spent on it was?

Not entirely sure. I've been so busy packing, and then I was gone for a wedding. I started it over a week ago though.

I like the fist, looks battlescarred!

Oh, the battle scars wont change. I heated a knife and gashed up the foam to make the scars. I'm just not happy with the paintjob on the fist. I didn't have time to print out the actual logo and make a stencil so it's not exact. Armor turned out great though for such quick work. I was worried rushing it as I did, that I'd waste the foam. I'll have to work on securing it better though. The glue didn't stay in some areas, so I'll have to either use better glue, or more zap straps. The zap straps held excellently (although the ones on the front were stabbing me a bit. I'll have to cut them down more and cap them with something soft.

The helmet turned out to be way uncomfortable and fogged up instantly so It will require a lot of work to be actually wearable. I'll also need to secure some of it better. The antenna fell off, and I think I'll have to relocate where the smaller tube feeds into the helmet from the mask.

Oh, the battle scars wont change. I heated a knife and gashed up the foam to make the scars. I'm just not happy with the paintjob on the fist. I didn't have time to print out the actual logo and make a stencil so it's not exact. Armor turned out great though for such quick work. I was worried rushing it as I did, that I'd waste the foam. I'll have to work on securing it better though. The glue didn't stay in some areas, so I'll have to either use better glue, or more zap straps. The zap straps held excellently (although the ones on the front were stabbing me a bit. I'll have to cut them down more and cap them with something soft.

The helmet turned out to be way uncomfortable and fogged up instantly so It will require a lot of work to be actually wearable. I'll also need to secure some of it better. The antenna fell off, and I think I'll have to relocate where the smaller tube feeds into the helmet from the mask.

Honestly though, considering the time, effort and talent required in this project, I would say it turned out amazingly well. The battle scarring was really good (I was just about to ask you how you did it). Do you know how much the helmet ended up weighing?

Not too much. Managed to keep it pretty light. Taking the battery pack off helped. Its not heavy at all. Just uncomfortable. I also need to use better glue.

Honestly though, considering the time, effort and talent required in this project, I would say it turned out amazingly well. The battle scarring was really good (I was just about to ask you how you did it). Do you know how much the helmet ended up weighing?

Not too much. Managed to keep it pretty light. Taking the battery pack off helped. Its not heavy at all. Just uncomfortable. I also need to use better glue.

What kind of glue were you using? (and what did you replace the batteries with [or did you just leave the lights off])

What kind of glue were you using? (and what did you replace the batteries with [or did you just leave the lights off])

Hot glue from a glue gun. No good for anything, but it made it a lot easier to build everything in time. I relocated the battery pack to my pocket.