noob Solar panel question

wfs0801

I just recently started playing Tekkit and I'm of course still learning. I've never played any mod before, just the original game, so everythnig is very new to me. I've begun building for a better energy source than coal in a generator, and last night built my first solar panel, batbox, LV-transformer and connected them and have them running my macerator (haven't connected to the extractor yet). Now, I wanted to connect a second solar panel because the macerator alone takes every bit of power that the solar panel gives off as it sends it to the batbox, meaning I can't effectively use the macerator and extractor at the same time or charge other electrical equipment at the same time. I simply layed a second Solar Panel next to the first one, connected copper cable below the 2, and my EU doesn't go up any faster in the batbox. Just as it did with a single solar panel, as soon as it gets to 32EU the macerator takes it all immediately, it doesn't even charge any faster than it did with a single solar panel. What am I doing wrong?

My setup is as follows:

2 Solar panels (nothing above, anywhere near) with copper cable connecting below --> leading 5 blocks downward to the batbox ---> leading 3 blocks downward to LV-transformer ---> leading 3 blocks to macerator, 4 blocks to extractor (when I eventually connect).

Note that the solar panel IS supplying power, it just won't connect to allow BOTH to supply power.

I've done quite a bit of googling and I understand that Copper cables loss something like 0.2 EU per block, so being only 5 away I should still get just about all of the power, but I'm not getting any power from the second solar panel.

That's because you misunderstand how energy loss works (it's not exactly intuitive).

Every cable has an EU loss value that adds up with every block traveled, but is rounded down. That means all cables have zero energy loss for the first few blocks (which varies between cables).

However, when the value passes at least 1, then every packet traveling past that point loses 1 EU. Further down the line, when the threshold passes 2, every packet traveling past that point will lose another 1 EU, for a total of 2.

Now, the energy output of a solar panel is 1 EU per tick (and there are 20 ticks in one second). However, energy packets are sent every tick, so the solar panel can only output packets sized 1 EU. Can you see where your problem is? :D

Your first solar panel works because it is right below the energy loss threshold for the copper cable, so there is zero loss. Your second panel is one block further away from the batbox, and therefore is afflicted by energy loss: the packet loses 1 EU as it traverses the fifth cable section. Unfortunately the packet only has 1 EU in it, meaning the energy loss reduces it to zero and the packet ceases to exist before it reaches the batbox.

Possible solutions:

1.) move the batbox and the panels closer together. Cost: free

2.) use ultra-low voltage cable instead of copper cable. These work for very small packets only, but they can go 39 blocks without losing a single EU. Cost: 3 tin per 9 cable

3.) use glass fiber cable instead of copper cable. This cable works just like ULV cable, but can support very large packets. It's the high-end luxury option. Cost: 1 diamond, 2 redstone, 6 glass per 4 cables.

Don't use glass fiber, that would be ridiculous and provide absolutely no benefit in exchange for the diamond spent. Just use tin cable instead of copper, and your problem is solved, the end.

If and when you have enough solar panels to make LV arrays, then just make a batbox up top next to the arrays and copper cable instead, and dont worry about the 3% (1/32) energy loss.

I have a friend who refuses to use anything but glass fiber cable because he can't be arsed to memorize or deal with the varying limitations of the other cables, or with rewiring his machines later. Yes, it's a ridiculous waste, but such people exist... everyone can decide for themselves what option they consider 'worth it' ;)

3.) use glass fiber cable instead of copper cable. This cable works just like ULV cable, but can support very large packets. It's the high-end luxury option. Cost: 1 diamond, 2 redstone, 6 glass per 4 cables.

Why does (seemingly) no one know that you can get 2 extra cables by substituting Silver for Redstone @_@

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Glass_Fibre

There are far less uses for Silver ingots than there are uses for redstone -.-

Why does (seemingly) no one know that you can get 2 extra cables by substituting Silver for Redstone @_@

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Glass_Fibre

There are far less uses for Silver ingots than there are uses for redstone -.-

Other way round. 2 extra for silver, 2 less for redstone.

SUCCESS! I did a bit of searching around again for a Tekkit Tutorial and now have realized the misunderstanding I had when it comes to energy loss and copper cables and whatnot. I've replaced the copper cables leading from both solar panels to the batbox with tin cables. I am now fully operational and charging at double speed (Yay)

Omicron,

Thank you for that quick explanation, I found the solution probably as you were typing it up but it's still nice to get a little better explanation on my exact situation, as you have so helpfully provided.

Thanks to everyone who posted a helpful solution, back to building I go :D

Christ people, do you have to nitpick every word someone else says? o_O The only reason I even included the glass fiber cable in my post was to show that it exists, and contrast it to the ULV cable, as an option to transport larger amounts of energy long-distance later in the game. And the default IC2 recipe just happens to be with redstone. Anybody with the ability to perform a simple search via Google or NEI, which the OP would have to do to look up the recipe anyway, can immediately see that there are crafting alternatives. You don't have to spoonfeed everything all the time...

Christ people, do you have to nitpick every word someone else says? o_O The only reason I even included the glass fiber cable in my post was to show that it exists, and contrast it to the ULV cable, as an option to transport larger amounts of energy long-distance later in the game. And the default IC2 recipe just happens to be with redstone. Anybody with the ability to perform a simple search via Google or NEI, which the OP would have to do to look up the recipe anyway, can immediately see that there are crafting alternatives. You don't have to spoonfeed everything all the time...

I am nitpicking the mention of glass fiber, because it is a simple fact that there is a huge portion of the population in tekkit who will build glass fiber cables for EVERYTHING, no matter how silly, even when they are strapped for resources and struggling to get enough to build other things.

I can only assume that most of those people do that because they read threads and hear people suggest glass fiber as an option every single time, and don't stop to think about it with any level of nuance, nor do they ever hear any dissenting opinion or other information. So I find it important to make sure that people realize that this is a wasteful strategy, and discourage people from mentioning it when it doesn't make any sense, to help control the epidemic of people shooting themselves in the foot.

• 1 year later...

Damn, I set up a macarator and about 30 solar panels in creative, & my macerator blew up! *faceplam*

Might have to do with Voltages, not the cable. :) If I remember Right, the cable's input doesn't quite add up, but I could be wrong. (I have been on multiple occasions)