Seeking a professional server team

pixlepix

This summer, I started by own server, Cubetown. It lasted for a month, and had 50 players online at a few times. After a month, I had to shut it down due to school starting. However, I would still like to work with a server with 2-3 other experienced people.

ABOUT ME:

I'm a high-school freshman(Yeah, a little young). I am taking AP Calculus, and am decent at computer programing, so I am pretty intelligent. I can spare 2-3 hours almost all days for the foreseeable future, and much more on weekends.

If you are interested in discussing this further, reply here or email me at [email protected]

EDIT:

For our third team member, we need someone for promotion/community management. Must be able to work with graphics and have good people skills.

I have a tekkit server running on my vSphere box that's been pretty abandoned for a while. Perhaps if you can find another person we could do something with that. I don't think I can support 50 players at once, but I can do 10 pretty well on my bandwidth. RAM is a non-issue. 2-3 hours should be doable for me for me as well.

Wow! You have almost the same story as me, but on a much larger scale. Oh and by the way I am a Frosh. also and AP Calc. is not on the list of classes you can take untill Junior year but that don't matter... Otherwise I started a server in the summer and also and had to shut it down. It was much smaller though because I did not have the time and skill at the time to be able to run a large server. It was minecraft then converted to tekkit. I am pretty good with permissions, tons of plugens and love to assist people on minecraft. I currently do have a small server for people at my school that play tekkit but I am not finished configuring all of the plugens yet. But if you need an extra staff member or some help you can count on me. Thanks starkiller9465x (And I can speak a little español if you have any spanish speaking players.)

well, im bored like hell and i am an experienced co-owner, owner, mod and admin for tekkit servers. im good with plugins and know how to handle unpleasant situation on a server. so if you need my help, just say the word!!

i speak perfect dutch, my english can be quite good and i also speak a little french/german. just to inform you ;/

Wow! I wasn't expecting to see so much interest. I guess I'd better work out how to give you guys access to my minecraft server and not the rest of my network (easier said than done without a VLAN-capable network...). Suggestions, anybody? The server is running on a windows domain-joined VM right now, I could move it to linux if I really needed to but I know almost nothing about linux.

I will probably end up just giving you guys ingame admin privvies, at least for now. I used to use a nifty program called YAMS that was integrated with Windows Services and let you log in to console and such remotely, but I developed some issues with it on my old server. Maybe I'll try that again.

I speak a very tiny bit of spanish. Otherwise my native and only language is english. And computer geek, because that's a language all to itself :P

Wow! I wasn't expecting to see so much interest. I guess I'd better work out how to give you guys access to my minecraft server and not the rest of my network (easier said than done without a VLAN-capable network...). Suggestions, anybody? The server is running on a windows domain-joined VM right now, I could move it to linux if I really needed to but I know almost nothing about linux.

I will probably end up just giving you guys ingame admin privvies, at least for now. I used to use a nifty program called YAMS that was integrated with Windows Services and let you log in to console and such remotely, but I developed some issues with it on my old server. Maybe I'll try that again.

I speak a very tiny bit of spanish. Otherwise my native and only language is english. And computer geek, because that's a language all to itself :P

Keep in mind that unless you can get MUCH more bandwidth, we wont be able to home host in. Also, there is no chance of working without FTP link. And, while there may be a lot of intrest, I doubt a lot of these people will pan out.

@JeffDonatic. Anyone who I would accept would be experienced with tekkit already. If you aren't willing to give full time help, your out.

If/When the server becomes profitable, the profits will be split. However, thats only after there is nothing else to buy for the server, and wont happen for months at the earliest :)

You see, my problem is that if I were to hop aboard, I/we would be doing far more work than yourself. At which point you become purely investment which is bad. Super bad. Servers are instantly doomed to failure.

If you can't put more time into running/optimising your server effectively, then don't bother at all.

How would you be doing more work then me? I only ask for the amount of time I'm willing to put in. 6 hours a day is plenty for maintaining a server. Also, if I wasn't clear in the first post, I can put in much more time on weekends for initial set-up/big projects.

I'm not offering to be part of your team... but I have done something similar (it's how my current server started out.)

I used a combination of FileZilla Server and MCMyAdmin to provide admins and other trustworthy staff FTP and console access.

I have also run other peoples servers through TeamViewer.

You could also look into using a Unix based OS, to provide shell access which is far more secure and actually easier to use. (SSH + SFTP/SCP)

And running/admining a server is practically a full-time job, especially if its open to the public and running Tekkit.

Remote Desktop solutions can leave your network and un-releated files wide open. Giving the remote user practically unrestricted access to everything you have access to. This is why solutions like Active Directory and Unix Shells exist.

Not to mention that 2 or 3 people trying to control a single mouse pointer can get rather annoying....

I have never heard of (and therefore never used) Chrome Remote Desktop. So I couldn't comment on it.

Keep in mind that unless you can get MUCH more bandwidth, we wont be able to home host in. Also, there is no chance of working without FTP link. And, while there may be a lot of intrest, I doubt a lot of these people will pan out.

@JeffDonatic. Anyone who I would accept would be experienced with tekkit already. If you aren't willing to give full time help, your out.

Get 10 players on the server at the same time and then you can talk about bandwidth. Until then, I don't see any other hosts stepping forward.

FTP is not an issue. Console access is the hard part, but I have a few different solutions I'm looking at, none of which requires actually logging in to the host OS.

@Djinni: Even with AD, there's little you can do to restrict what users can do from remote desktop. Windows isn't designed to accommodate untrusted users logging in remotely. If minecraft was a powershell app, maybe, but it isn't.

As for Chrome Remote Desktop... It's Chrome. That alone is enough to stay the hell away.

If there's so little you can do with AD to lock down a system... explain to me why so many schools and business use it? And did you just glaze over the whole Unix thing?

The other option I looked into (but escaped my mind when I was writing the last post) is Cygwin. although I never actually did get around to trying to actually use it.

In any case I suspect if you are insistant on home hosting and running Windows as your host OS, you might want to look into running a VMWare Unix OS for MC which would solve a lot of the issues discussed in this thread.

Personally it's at this point I would tend to recommend using a VPS solution like CreeperHost for which you can grant very specific access to folders and files, including which specific files can be read or written to each user within a directory. And give all the users you need to console access via the control panel. It also eliminates any of the worry about opening up access to files on your local computer for little more than it would cost you in electricity bills.

D3matt, get online on skype please. Don't want to derail this into a debate thread :). Anyway, my last server got 10 players within an hour with just a decent post on there forums. The best solution would be to rent a server anyway.

EDIT: In theory, what about rtoolkit for console access? Looked into it before, my host wouldn't let me install it though.

If there's so little you can do with AD to lock down a system... explain to me why so many schools and business use it? And did you just glaze over the whole Unix thing?

In any case I suspect if you are insistant on home hosting and running Windows as your host OS, you might want to look into running a VMWare Unix OS for MC which would solve a lot of the issues discussed in this thread.

Personally it's at this point I would tend to recommend using a VPS solution like CreeperHost for which you can grant very specific access to folders and files, including which specific files can be read or written to each user within a directory. And give all the users you need to console access via the control panel. It also eliminates any of the worry about opening up access to files on your local computer for little more than it would cost you in electricity bills.

Schools and business have all of their machines in AD so even if you can see them, there's little you can do. Most businesses also use VLANs and seperate domains for their sensitive devices. Neither of these works for me because I don't have a VLAN-capable network, and not all of the computers on my network are in an AD.

I didn't just glaze over the whole unix thing. It's an option I'm considering. I'm also looking at several different minecraft control panels that don't require desktop access.