Modpack Issues

Tfar

Found the right place this time!  I hope...

I have run in

to some issues with my modpack, Age of Exploration - [AoE].  I have taken two approaches to uploading this pack.  I'll list both of them, then state the problem each process faces.

A.
1a. I made a folder called 'modpack'
2a. I create two folders in the modpack folder.  I call these 'bin' and 'mods'
3a. I download forge version 9.11.1.953 universal.  It's outdated, but it's what I need for my mods
4a. I put the forge universal .jar file in the bin folder and renamed it 'modpack'
5a. I copied the mods from my minecraft client to the mods folder I just created - the mods are all compatible
6a. I took the two files and used 7-zip to compress them to a zip folder
7a. I uploaded the .zip file to dropbox
8a. I added the dropbox link to the modpack on the technic website - I made sure the end says download=1

The client crashes as soon as I hit the play button.  The modpack seems to download regularly; the directory in which it's installed looks fine.  

B.
1b. I made a folder called 'modpack'
2b. I create two folders in the modpack folder.  I call these 'bin' and 'mods'
3b. I download forge version 9.11.1.953 universal.  It's outdated, but it's what I need for my mods
4b. I created a new folder
5b. I opend the forge file in 7-zip then copied the contents into the new folder
6b. I used 7-zip to convert the new folder to a .jar file called 'modpack'
    ***The current contents of the bin folder is just the modpack.jar I just created***
7b. I copied the mods from my minecraft client to the mods folder I just created - the mods are all compatible
8b. I took the two files and used 7-zip to compress them to a zip folder
9b. I uploaded the .zip file to dropbox
10b. I added the dropbox link to the modpack on the technic website - I made sure the end says download=1

The client loads, but in Vanilla.  I looked in the directory - everything seems fine.  

The mistake may be very simple or small and it would help to have another set of eyes to look at it.  I've been trying to fix this problem for around 8 hours.  Sorry for any typos - it's late and I'm tired.
The modpack that was uploaded using the B process is still up.  Here are some links:

Direct link of modpack.zip - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbnampjadhar1a5/modpack.zip?dl=1
Link to modpack URL - http://technicpack.net/modpack/age-of-exploration-aoe.831686
Installation link - http://api.technicpack.net/modpack/age-of-exploration-aoe

• Moderators

copied off plowmanplow's post:

• Dropbox direct links should be altered in this fashion: Change "www" to "dl". Change "dropbox" to "dropboxusercontent". Remove any trailing "?dl=0" or "?dl=1".
  • Make sure you increment the pack version number any time you alter the modpack data or metadata.
  • Your /bin/modpack.jar is incorrect. The modpack.jar file is simply the most recent version of the Forge universal binary JAR for your MC version renamed to modpack.jar. Don't mess with it unless you really know what you are doing.
  • You should be using the most recent version of Forge for 1.6.4 which is #1345.
  • Some (most?) of your mods are not from legitimate sources. Always download mods from the locations specified/preferred by their respective authors.
  • Your Biomes O' Plenty mod is fatally out of date. Make sure you have the most recent version.
  • Your modpack contains no config files. For MC/Forge versions <= 1.6.4 this is almost universally fatal.
  • I would recommend using a development environment such as my BareBonesPack.

@plowmanplow

I need forge  9.11.1.953 for my mods to work.

My mods for sure work, so why does it matter if they're not from legitimate sources?  I have used these mods in my minecraft client.

Some of these mods are out of date, but sometimes I have to use them so they will work with my forge version.

I'll try all these things, then post an update.

• Discord Moderator
  • When you don't get your mods from legitimate sources a myriad of "bad things" happen. 1) You typically have little idea which version you are actually getting. 2) You aren't supporting the authors. 3) You are supporting shady SOBs that steal other people's content for their own profit. 4) The mod may be compromised in some fashion (i.e "installers"). 5) It's just the wrong thing to do.
  • It does seem that Metaworlds is not compatible with the latest Forge for 1.6.4 versions. Quite lame, but it is what it is. You will need to include the LegacyFixer JAR file in order to maintain compatibility with Java 8. MetaWorlds is the only mod in your pack not compatible with the latest Forge.
  • You still need config files.

No need to continue the PMs. Simply follow the points from the two posts above and you should be fine.

@plowmanplow

Okay, so I added the config folder, complete with all the files from the config of my Minecarft client.  I also changed my modpack.jar folder to the forge universal.  It still does not install.  I click install, and the bar loads slowly.  When it reaches the end, rather than the button changing from 'install' to 'play', it still says 'install'.  I'm really lost now.

• Discord Moderator
  • (Again) Dropbox direct links should be altered in this fashion: Change "www" to "dl". Change "dropbox" to "dropboxusercontent". Remove any trailing "?dl=0" or "?dl=1" .
  • You aren't properly incrementing your pack version number. I recently downloaded your pack when it was verison 1.1 and the file size was 41,923,023. It is still version 1.1 but the file size is now 41,960,293.

Increment your pack version number, restart your launcher and update the pack. If it still doesn't work, come back here.

@plowmanplow

I will change the link, but may I ask why?  Why doesn't it work without me changing it?

And I'll also do the version thing. 

I'm away from home now. I'll attempt to do this stuff later tonight. 

• Discord Moderator

Simply adding "?dl=1" to the end of the URL makes it eventually be a direct link. However, if you look at the server responses that results in a HTTP 302 (redirect) message which takes you to the dl.dropboxusercontent link which is the actual direct URL. This cuts down an the requests and makes it more streamlined (and thus less error-prone). Also, the actual direct link returns the correct file size to the CURL request (the method the Platform uses to query URLs). It's just the "right" way to do it.

@plowmanplow

Okay, so I:

1. Added a config folder complete with all the stuff from my Minecraft folder

2. Changed the dropbox link to: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/gbnampjadhar1a5/modpack.zip?

3. Updated the version - not quite sure if I did this properly, but let's assume I did because it doesn't seem complicated

4. Deleted the original modpack.jar and replaced (again I think) with the version of forge (9.11.1.953) I need

I must be doing something wrong; what is it?

• Discord Moderator
  • Please note that I advised the removal of trailing "?dl=0" or "?dl=1". You seem to have left the "?". Remove that.
  • As I mentioned before, since you are using an old version of Forge for 1.6.4 you must include the Legacy Java Fixer mod in your /mods/ folder or the pack cannot function when the client has Java 8.