New computer for tekkit!

Stop mocking me0

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Countdown: 6 years remaining until terabyte RAM level 3D computers

Yay!

Who knows what other random crap Apple will invent and convince half the world they need in that amount of time?

actually we're reaching the limit of scalability on silicon. There is research into carbon nanotubes and graphene but nothing even close to stable yet. Plus carbon nanotubes might be toxic.

Expect silicon replacements and "system on a chip" between 2020 and 2025.

Could anyone of you computer wizards who understands graphic cards tell me if my PC was worth the 800€ I spent on it? And if the graphics card is "up to par" with the rest of the system? And how I could compare this by myself? (specs taken from speccy)

It's an Antec computer.

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 965 Deneb 45nm Teknologi

RAM: 8,00 GB Duoble-channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD/USB3 (AM3)

Graphic: BenQG2222HDL (1920x1080@60Hz)

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Wondering mainly because it tends to chug when I run a 2-person server and load both nether and overworld while playing at the same time, and a friend told me it's the graphic-card that plays the main role in that kind of thing.

800 is way to much for that. Your RAM is ridiculously slow. CPU and HFCs are fine

800 is way to much for that. Your RAM is ridiculously slow. CPU and HFCs are fine

Slow RAM? Does it matter much (for gaming)? Also, what is HFC? I know that I atleast won't have to worry about buying a new CPU for awhile, a program called TurboV EVO let's me overclock it to ridiculous levels with minimal risk :)

As for the price, I forgot to mention that everything here in Finland is expensive as hell, probably about 20% more on that price than whatever you would pay for it.

Could anyone of you computer wizards who understands graphic cards tell me if my PC was worth the 800€ I spent on it? And if the graphics card is "up to par" with the rest of the system? And how I could compare this by myself? (specs taken from speccy)

It's an Antec computer.

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 965 Deneb 45nm Teknologi

RAM: 8,00 GB Duoble-channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD/USB3 (AM3)

Graphic: BenQG2222HDL (1920x1080@60Hz)

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Wondering mainly because it tends to chug when I run a 2-person server and load both nether and overworld while playing at the same time, and a friend told me it's the graphic-card that plays the main role in that kind of thing.

I meant gfx. iPhone autocorrect.

Speed definitely matters for any application. It i the speed at which the ram will compute the information. Much as a CPU has its clock speed.

I never trust over locking programs. I do it myself.

Also buy online. Not sure if newegg sells to Finland but they are hands down the best.

Hey, my uncle just got a new PC, and I was wondering if it was any good. Here are the specs :

Processor : Intel 3.1 GHz Xeon E5-2867W

SSD : 2x 512GB OCZ Vertex 4

HDD : 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K4000

Motherboard : ASUS P9X79 WS

RAM : 64GB DDR3/2133 Corsair Dominator Platinum

Power : Corsair AX12001

Video Card : 2x EVGA Hydro Copper GeForce GTX 690

Cooling : Liquid cooling set, including water-cooling loop, radiators, tubes, fans and etc.

Case : Silverstone TJ11

He said he built it himself, and it seems okay to me, but I'd like the opinion of people who know what they're talking about. How do you find it?

Hey, my uncle just got a new PC, and I was wondering if it was any good. Here are the specs :

Cooling : Liquid cooling set, including water-cooling loop, radiators, tubes, fans and etc.

He said he built it himself, and it seems okay to me, but I'd like the opinion of people who know what they're talking about. How do you find it?

Holy freaking overkill! Are you planning on running multiple instances of Crysis?

the only point in all of that if if you do video rendering other than that no need for all of that

Hey, my uncle just got a new PC, and I was wondering if it was any good. Here are the specs:

*stuff*

Putting it mildly, that's overkill, yes. I wouldn't say no if someone gave me those components to build one.

Rough tally of price

Processor: Minimum $1000, probably closer to $1,300-1,500

SSDs: Around $500 apiece.

HDDs: $330 or $500 apiece, depending on size (there is a 3TB version)

Mobo: $240-380, depending on exact model & features

RAM: $900

PSU: $300

GPUs: $1000 apiece

Cooling: $80-150, depending on make/model, with extra cost for additional hardware

Case: $660

All in: Just breaks $8000, buying parts off Newegg. :suspense:

Putting it mildly, that's overkill, yes. I wouldn't say no if someone gave me those components to build one.

Rough tally of price

Processor: Minimum $1000, probably closer to $1,300-1,500

SSDs: Around $500 apiece.

HDDs: $330 or $500 apiece, depending on size (there is a 3TB version)

Mobo: $240-380, depending on exact model & features

RAM: $900

PSU: $300

GPUs: $1000 apiece

Cooling: $80-150, depending on make/model, with extra cost for additional hardware

Case: $660

All in: Just breaks $8000, buying parts off Newegg. :suspense:

:tviv: That is an expensive computer....

:tviv: That is an expensive computer....

Given that, 18 months ago, I built a decent gaming computer, which is just starting to show its age, for a tenth of that, yes, I would call it expensive. This is for graphics rendering, no doubt. It's not called "bleeding edge" for nothing, though.

Given that, 18 months ago, I built a decent gaming computer, which is just starting to show its age, for a tenth of that, yes, I would call it expensive. This is for graphics rendering, no doubt. It's not called "bleeding edge" for nothing, though.

How long do top of the line (not quite bleeding edge) last for before they start to "show their age"?

How long do top of the line (not quite bleeding edge) last for before they start to "show their age"?

I would say 1-2 years before you can't max settings on all but the newest stuff, and a well-built PC can usually last 4-5 or so before it can't play the newest stuff at all. Much depends on particular advances in technology, like Pixel Shader versions that render your GPU useless, and of course how much "the newest stuff" actually uses the newest hardware/software. Obviously, if you don't buy/play the newest stuff, you don't have problems, but OS versions eventually stop being supported, and things like that.

You can also extend life by replacement with newer components, but you will often run into hardware incompatibilities, and the fact that older parts will often go up in price because not as many are being produced/shipped, so it's sometimes cheaper or at least comparable to replace the PC than do an upgrade.

sorry i disagree i have been with dell for 10 yrs i have a xps l1702x and i love it

I can tell you as i am in I.T Specializing in hardware Dell or HP are shit, mostly put to gether with low end boards and cheap oem gpu's and sticking a heap of ram into a board that does not have the bandwidth is not going to do anything but slow you down.

Secondly there is 3 i7 well now 2 I7 out there one is 1155 another is 2011 socket whats the differents well quad channels for ram on 2011 sockets, second no tech i know would use a dell so ether your in like the accounting department or your just a programmer or something.

get a custom made machine for a desktop just tell your local supplyer what you want, second thing to remember Asus, there boards have 5 years warranty on good ones and work very well, Asus 560TI runs very well and cool, 240gb Kingston SSD hard drive and 1TB or 2TB seagate 7200RPM drive, in a mid tower, and not skimp on PSU use a brand name, as power supply is important, gskill ram or kingston ram, 8GB 1600Mhz is what i have on my workstations never needed more, "servers and graphic workstations do and when i say graphic workstations i mean 3D rendering like in milkshape or lightwave, heavy photoshop, or gimp, then get 16GB 1600Mhz "9-9-9,24" those extra numbers cas to ras timings "refresh rate".

if getting a laptop get an Asus with Nvidia gpu and at leased 1GB dedicated gpu ram.

Some info on Dell, now this info is based in Australia, right now in I.T i was at the Vmware 2012 on 14-15 of November and it looks like Dell might be going under in Australia not many server admins want to use them and not many hosting companies and Data Centers are buying them anymore.

My own Research about dell most dell computers i have seen use the worst parts like Maxtor hard drives, yes now they are owned by Seagate, but the drives with maxtor are for low end "slow and shit", i have seen many with hard drive problems too many to be, low end boards rebadged oem with half the stuff taken off like the extra sata ports of internal usb headers, not to mention simple things like bios modded to be gimped half the settings taken out, now for a person like me i want those settings especially in trouble shooting, seen a fan RPM for cpu means i not need to open case, or a current temp, or maybe how many volts is going where, things like that you will not see in bios on dell or HP rebadged boards.

Even HP had to buy 3com for there switch tech that they could not make them selfs, but for my switchs and routers i use cisco or build my own."routers"

if you been using a dell for 10 years thats great you keep paying more money then the thing is worth, my self i get to see hardware from all over.

I would say 1-2 years before you can't max settings on all but the newest stuff, and a well-built PC can usually last 4-5 or so before it can't play the newest stuff at all. Much depends on particular advances in technology, like Pixel Shader versions that render your GPU useless, and of course how much "the newest stuff" actually uses the newest hardware/software. Obviously, if you don't buy/play the newest stuff, you don't have problems, but OS versions eventually stop being supported, and things like that.

You can also extend life by replacement with newer components, but you will often run into hardware incompatibilities, and the fact that older parts will often go up in price because not as many are being produced/shipped, so it's sometimes cheaper or at least comparable to replace the PC than do an upgrade.

agreed.

on OS if windows don't get windows 8 just a wast use windows 7 64bit or linux ubuntu64bit.

Its worth noting that no matter what you can't future proof in any worthwhile way. Say you spend $2000+ (probably more given high end video cards costing as much as they do) on a top of the line overkill gaming rig in order to have it last longer. In a few years years your top of the line will be average and cost $800 and all your parts will have been outclassed by newer better built more efficient models.

Compare it to someone who paid $800-1000. Their computer will handle games at max no problem if they did it right. In two years it will be showing age and they spend another $800-1000 or less if they're just swapping parts. They'll have spent less then you over time, and their new computer will probably have better parts then your original overkill machine. The buyers remorse will run thick.

It's so tempting to go all out and say "I'm going to empty my wallet and my computer will live forever and be immortal!" but after a certain point the graph of returns vs money spent really drops dramatically.