Mods and Copyright

dowel9

Hey guys,

I'm new here and want to get started in making Modpacks... I've done some in the past but just for offline Playing and now I want to make one open for everybody.

But theres one question for me: If I use a mod, from where I know if I am allowed to use it ? Copyright and things like that, I don't want to get reported by the person made this mod ! How I have to do it ? Make a .txt in the folders where I list every mod with website ? And what to do if I can't find if the modder is OK with this ? And what happens if he doesn't like it ? Or do I have to write an E-Mail to every mod and ask ?

Thank you :)

dowel9

6 minutes ago, dowel9 said:

Hey guys,

I'm new here and want to get started in making Modpacks... I've done some in the past but just for offline Playing and now I want to make one open for everybody.

But theres one question for me: If I use a mod, from where I know if I am allowed to use it ? Copyright and things like that, I don't want to get reported by the person made this mod ! How I have to do it ? Make a .txt in the folders where I list every mod with website ? And what to do if I can't find if the modder is OK with this ? And what happens if he doesn't like it ? Or do I have to write an E-Mail to every mod and ask ?

Thank you :)

dowel9

You can usually find what they want in the description of the mod, as long as you download it from Curse or Minecraftforum, and not from one of the many illegal repost sites out there.

Thanks a lot !

Additional to this, as far as I know github is openSource, if somebody has his code online up there it should be allowed to use this mod right ?

Edit: The List is wrong I think, as far as I know iChun doesn't want to see his mod (PortalGun) in a modpack !

Edited by dowel9
Update

• Moderators

I clicked the red check mark on that page, from that link:

For the mods PortalGun and GravityGun:

You are strictly not permitted to include these mods in Public Packs, if the intended version of the mod is Minecraft 1.8 or later. Do not ask why, it is my decision (of which reasons are known by few) to do so, and it is final. Config packs (where only the mod configs are included) and Private Server Packs (where the mod is included for people joining a private [invite only] server) are fine.

Last Updated: 2:04am UTC+0, 15th January 2015

Any enquiries, feel free to drop me a PM on MCF or to drop by my channel (#iChun on espernet) on IRC. Do note that the content of this page is FINAL. If you have to ask, you probably need to read it again.

Edited by AetherPirate

• Moderators

If it's 1.8 or later for some reason 

the whole permissions thing confuses me. If you don't want people using it, don't release it.

on that ftb list, red checks mean click and read why the answer is "no"

Edited by AetherPirate

Psst you could always make private modpack and use just all mods u find. Ofc from trusted sources. Usually modmakers don't mind if modpack is private.

Edited by E4RU