Wont install any modpacks

icninja

Question

So, i want to install a modpack, but my launcher wont install anything. It thinks about it for a few seconds, then cancels the download. The console reads:

[B#349] java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.slf4j.spi.LocationAwareLogger.log(Lorg/slf4j/Marker;Ljava/lang/String;ILjava/lang/String;[Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Throwable;)V
[B#349]     at org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.slf4j.Slf4jLoggerFactory$Slf4jLoggerEx.debug(Slf4jLoggerFactory.java:167)
[B#349]     at org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultLocalRepositoryProvider.newLocalRepositoryManager(DefaultLocalRepositoryProvider.java:116)
[B#349]     at org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultRepositorySystem.newLocalRepositoryManager(DefaultRepositorySystem.java:421)
[B#349]     at net.technicpack.utilslib.maven.MavenConnector.<init>(MavenConnector.java:67)
[B#349]     at net.technicpack.minecraftcore.install.tasks.HandleVersionFileTask.<init>(HandleVersionFileTask.java:55)
[B#349]     at net.technicpack.launcher.launch.Installer.buildTasksQueue(Installer.java:330)
[B#349]     at net.technicpack.launcher.launch.Installer$1.run(Installer.java:122)
[B#349]     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
[B#349] Unhandled Exception in Thread[Thread-68,6,main]

B#349] Starting download of http://cdn.technicpack.net/platform2/pack-icons/856833.png?1473562256, with 3 tries remaining

B#349] Attempting to open /Users/chris18/Library/Application Support/technic/logs
[B#349] Using file:/Users/chris18/Library/Application%20Support/technic/logs/
[B#349] Intermediary path file:///Users/chris18/Library/Application%20Support/technic/logs/

If this isn't enough info to determine the issue, im using a Mac OSX 10.10.5, 2.7 GHz Intel i5 processor, 8 Gb ram, and an Intel Iris graphics card. As well, the log is attached.

Thanks,

techniclauncher_2016-12-08.log

10 answers to this question

• Moderators

Could you tell me what Java your Mac says it has?

Find the Java Control Panel on Mac

Launch the Java Control Panel on Mac OS X (10.7.3 and above)
  1. Click on Apple icon on upper left of screen.
  2. Go to System Preferences
  3. Click on the Java icon to access the Java Control Panel.

1 hour ago, AetherPirate said:

Could you tell me what Java your Mac says it has?

Find the Java Control Panel on Mac

Launch the Java Control Panel on Mac OS X (10.7.3 and above)
  1. Click on Apple icon on upper left of screen.
  2. Go to System Preferences
  3. Click on the Java icon to access the Java Control Panel.

Under the update tab, it is listed as Java 8 Update 111.

19 minutes ago, AetherPirate said:

It looks like you are only allocating 256MB of ram, check your Java Setting in the launcher

Under the technic launcher, i've allocated 8Gb, but thats much larger than 256mb. Also, 256mb isn't even an option in the launcher, the lowest option being 512mb

• Moderators

'/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -Xmx256m -verbose -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd -Dswing.aatext=true -cp 

I think  your Mac is overriding that setting, need to clear that. Not sure how on a Mac. 

Don't allocate 8GB, change it to 4GB 

11 minutes ago, AetherPirate said:

'/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -Xmx256m -verbose -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd -Dswing.aatext=true -cp 

I think  your Mac is overriding that setting, need to clear that. Not sure how on a Mac. 

Don't allocate 8GB, change it to 4GB 

Changed it to 4GB, and nothing changed.

12 hours ago, AetherPirate said:

Yes, we need to find a way to clear that Java variable that is limiting you to 256MB. 

Perhaps look in that Java Control Panel and see what the options are, I am not that familiar with Macs. 

Okay, so after an investigation on how to change the heap size allocated for a specific program, i came up with the command, which can be input into terminal:

java -Xms(initial size)m -Xmx(Maximum size)m -jar (directory of jar file)

After running this command with the following values(Xms512m, Xmx8192m), the launcher opened, with the following command lines after the original command:

Settings for exe: /Users/chris18/Downloads/TechnicLauncher.jar
Portable settings dir: /Users/chris18/Downloads/technic
Setting up logging

after this, with the opened launcher, i tried to download a pack, and the same issue kept occurring.

Edited by icninja