Server Running Crash Course

Hey everyone. I've been interested in making a server for my custom modpack, but I know next to nothing about what to do, in every aspect. I've been trying to reach out to people via social media for advice, but I haven't gotten much response, so I wanted to reach out here.

I *have* looked at the Technic Tutorial for running a server, but as someone who knows minimal about PCs (but can learn) and has an expensive PC that I don't want vulnerable for attacks, I would like some more information just about running servers in general. Like what is a speed for it to be at? Should I go thru a hosting site or not? If so which one? (I'm willing to pay). What do the numbers all even mean? Some of these expect me to know how to upkeep a server but I don't know any coding at all. I can do BBCode okay, but HTML is still a struggle for me. I do understand what RAM is and some basic things, but a lot of it I just want to be sure on and I'm not.

What advice/steps would you give to someone who's never run a sever before but is interested in learning?

Edited by appleschloss

29 minutes ago, AetherPirate said:

In order to make a server for Modpack without a ServerPack, please read this tutorial from the Technic Help Site: https://technicpack.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203799459-How-to-create-a-server-for-your-Platform-modpack

See I was looking over/following that tutorial but this warning at the top

WARNING: Please note that running server software on your computer without a clear understanding of what you are doing may seriously harm your system and lead to vulnerabilities.

Left me very wary and I want to try and learn more about server software and what it does and good tips on RAM, websites to use for hosting, etc, so I don't leave my PC vulnerable, or just heck it up completely.