How to make a server

M-C

So, I've seen quite some posts with people asking how to make a server now, so I'll try to explain how to make one:

Step 1: Download the Voltz server file from technicpack.net

Step 2: Download the Minecraft server.jar from minecraft.net and extract the contents

Into the folder you want to use for your server using winrar

Step 3: run the Minecraft_server file that you got from the jar

(optional) Step 4: make a batch file so you can see errors or allocate a different amount

of RAM to the server, copy this text into notepad (change the numbers to the amount

of RAM you'd like to allocate):

java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui.

Now Save it, remember to do save as, and not just the normal save. You

need to save this as a .bat file, on the bottom you should choose "all files" instead of "text files"

and name it something like "run.bat" or "voltz server.bat". The .bat part should always be in there.

Step 5: open the jar you ran in step 3 using winrar, right click, select "open with" and choose Winrar. One of the maps in the Voltz server file should be called: Voltz.jar. Put all the contents into the server.jar you just opened with Winrar.

Step 6: Run the Minecraft_server.jar again

Step 7: You see that some new maps were

added to your server folder. The mods, coremods and config maps.

Just drag and drop the mods, coremods and configs from the Voltz folder

into the Server folder.

Step 8: Try running the server once again, just to check if it works.

(optional) Step 9: Set the server properties to the way you like it, for example turn

mob spawns off, or make your server whitelisted or anything like that. Do this by opening the PROPERTIES file with notepad. You can for example set mob spawns from true to false in here, and all kinds of other things

Step 10: You have to portforward, by some (many) this is considered the hardest part of making

a server. You should look up a video on portforwarding for your type of router, since for every router you have to portforward in a different way. I'll try to explain. But remember, it might be different on your router. First, press the start button and go to cmd, type 'ipconfig' in cmd and press enter. You want to look for the numbers after 'standard gateway'. Found them? Well, just type the numbers in your web browser. You should now get to your router's website. There should be something like toolbox, or gaming&application sharing or anything close to that. You want to create a new application here. Call it anything you want, just 'Minecraft' is okay. Now there should be something like, UDC, TCP and both. You want to select 'both' because we want both UDC and TCP. The port you want to open is 25565, if it asks for a second port just type 25565 in there aswell. Now the port should be opened. You might have to assign the port to be opened though. There should be something like 'assign a new application' or something close to that. Press that, and select the 'Minecraft' port we just made. The port is now open and ready to connect your friends to your system.

Do you want to know your ip? Just go to the website ipchicken, it'll display your ip. People will join your server through this ip, so give that one to your friends.

Your server should be working now.

Did I forget anything?

Tell me! And enjoy playing with your friends!

(Still things being added) Common fixes to problems:

-Redownload all the coremods, mods, configs etc.

-Remember to put the CONTENTS of the 'Voltz.jar' into your minecraft_server.jar

-If people can't join your server you probably haven't portforwarded right, make sure you've followed the step of portforwarding correctly.

-If someone (you) is trying to join the server and it says that you're missing a lot of the mods, you've got a wrong pack version or just a wrong pack, make sure you have the RIGHT version and make sure it's VOLTZ.

-My .bat file won't open the server! : make sure you've got the .bat file in the same folder as the launch server, and also make sure you've copied the text correctly.

-There's no mods or coremods or configs folder, so I can't put the mods and configs in! : remember to launch the server again after putting the contents of the 'Voltz.jar' into the minecraft_server.jar, launching it again will generate these folders.

If you have a question or it's still not working, just go ahead and ask! I'll try to help.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked like a charm!

Thanks!

Np! Happy to help :)

EDIT: I've made a piece about portforwarding too. But every router is different, so looking up a video on portforwarding on your router is still preferred.

I have followed all of your steps in making the server, but when i get into the server none of the modded items can be crafted. If I try to spawn them in it gives me the message "No such item with the id...." And if i use creative whenever i place one of the modded items it quickly dissapears. Help??

I have followed all of your steps in making the server, but when i get into the server none of the modded items can be crafted. If I try to spawn them in it gives me the message "No such item with the id...." And if i use creative whenever i place one of the modded items it quickly dissapears. Help??

What Kratose said is also true for me. How can we fix this?

Hmm.. This is strange, didn't happen to me... Try deleting all mods, configs and coremods, running the server, closing the server and putting everything back in. If this doesn't help, I don't know. I'll look into it more tomorrow. EDIT:

Did you put the contents of the PUT THIS IN THE SERVER.JAR in the right place? Try redownloading that aswell.

I think it's because something has been put into the wrong place.

I might add some pictures too, just to help everyone do the steps correctly.

Hmm.. This is strange, didn't happen to me... Try deleting all mods, configs and coremods, running the server, closing the server and putting everything back in. If this doesn't help, I don't know. I'll look into it more tomorrow. EDIT:

Did you put the contents of the PUT THIS IN THE SERVER.JAR in the right place? Try redownloading that aswell.

I think it's because something has been put into the wrong place.

You put that into the minecraft_server.jar right?

Yep, that's what you should do, and don't delete the META-INF, even though you want it ;)

Do I drag the entire folder into the minecraft_server.jar, or do I put the contents of it?

The contents, you shouldn't put the folder itself in it

Oh, I put in the entire folder xD

EDIT: Well, I put in the contents, but when I try to enter, it takes me back to the main menu. How do I fix this?

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I got in. Thanks alot! :D

Oh, I put in the entire folder xD

Well that's your problem, changed it in the tutorial to say contents, so hopefully other people won't get the same problem :).

EDIT: no problem mate! Always happy to help :)

EDIT 2: added common problems/fixes :D

Okay, so now the mods are working, I can get in, my friends can get in, but there's one problem. My friends and I seem to dc every 30 seconds. Is this just because of us, or is it because I did something wrong?

Okay, so now the mods are working, I can get in, my friends can get in, but there's one problem. My friends and I seem to dc every 30 seconds. Is this just because of us, or is it because I did something wrong?

Hmm, not sure, it might just be the internet connection... Have you changed any server properties or something like that? EDIT: how does the dc happen? Does everyone get disconnected immediately, does everyone suddenly stop moving or anything like that?

EDIT 2: try running the server launch as an administrator

Hmm, not sure, it might just be the internet connection... Have you changed any server properties or something like that? EDIT: how does the dc happen? Does everyone get disconnected immediately, does everyone suddenly stop moving or anything like that?

EDIT 2: try running the server launch as an administrator

Well, I just dced, and my friend is still on. I have changed server properties, like making it on peaceful. I'll try the administrator thing.

EDIT: When I try to open with administrator, nothing happens.

Well, I just dced, and my friend is still on. I have changed server properties, like making it on peaceful. I'll try the administrator thing.

If the administrator thing doesn't work.. It's probably your internet connection, mine sometimes couldn't handle the tekkit server either. I got fiber optic now and it works like a charm.

EDIT: I'll be gone now, back tomorrow

EDIT: When I try to open with administrator, nothing happens.

Sorry for doubleposting, needed you to get this notification, can you tell me what the console says when you get dced? That'd help a lot.

Sorry for doubleposting, needed you to get this notification, can you tell me what the console says when you get dced? That'd help a lot.

It basically just says this:

[iNFO] [Minecraft] <player> lost connection: disconnect.endofStream

[iNFO] [sTDOUT] Unloading Player: <player>

It basically just says this:

[iNFO] [Minecraft] <player> lost connection: disconnect.endofStream

[iNFO] [sTDOUT] Unloading Player: <player>

The problem with end of stream disconnects is, there's no clear solution to them. You can try a lot of things, but I doubt most of them will work. For now the only advice I can give is to look for solutions, and most of all, keep trying.

I'm stuck at step 6: making sure that the modified minecraft_server.jar file runs again. (I'm on Mac OSX 10.6.8) After opening the minecraft_server.jar and moving in all files inside of the "PLACE THESE FILES INSIDE minecraft_server.jar" folder, I ran the new .jar file and got the following error message in console:

/Users/Myname/Desktop/Voltz_Server_v1.0.1/start.command ; exit;

1:~ Myname$ /Users/Myname/Desktop/Voltz_Server_v1.0.1/start.command ; exit;

Invalid or corrupt jarfile minecraft_server.jar

logout

[Process completed]

As you probably can tell, I'll running the server through a start.command file, though I don't think the problem lies there. I've had trouble with minecraft_server.jar files on my mac before (it would crash when I tried to op myself and cheat on a Vechs map =P) but nothing like this