How to make a server

M-C

So, I've seen quite some posts with people asking how to make a server now, so I'll try to explain how to make one:

Step 1: Download the Voltz server file from technicpack.net

Step 2: Download the Minecraft server.jar from minecraft.net and extract the contents

Into the folder you want to use for your server using winrar

Step 3: run the Minecraft_server file in the jar

(optional) Step 4: make a batch file so you can see errors or allocate a different amount

of RAM to the server, copy this text into notepad (change the numbers to the amount

of RAM you'd like to allocate):

java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui.

Now Save it, remember to do save as, and not just the normal save. You

need to save this as a .bat file, on the bottom you should choose "all files" instead of "text files"

and name it something like "run.bat" or "voltz server.bat". The .bat part should always be in there.

Step 5: open the jar you ran in step 3 using winrar, right click, select "open with" and choose Winrar. One of the maps in the Voltz server file should be called: Voltz.jar. Put all the contents into the server.jar you just opened with Winrar.

Step 6: Run the Minecraft_server.jar again

Step 7: You see that some new maps were

added to your server folder. The mods, coremods and config maps.

Just drag and drop the mods, coremods and configs from the Voltz folder

into the Server folder.

Step 8: Try running the server once again, just to check if it works.

(optional) Step 9: Set the server properties to the way you like it, for example turn

mob spawns off, or make your server whitelisted or anything like that. Do this by opening the PROPERTIES file with notepad. You can for example set mob spawns from true to false in here, and all kinds of other things

Step 10: You have to portforward, by some (many) this is considered the hardest part of making

a server. You should look up a video on portforwarding for your type of router, since for every router you have to portforward in a different way. I'll try to explain. But remember, it might be different on your router. First, press the start button and go to cmd, type 'ipconfig' in cmd and press enter. You want to look for the numbers after 'standard gateway'. Found them? Well, just type the numbers in your web browser. You should now get to your router's website. There should be something like toolbox, or gaming&application sharing or anything close to that. You want to create a new application here. Call it anything you want, just 'Minecraft' is okay. Now there should be something like, UDC, TCP and both. You want to select 'both' because we want both UDC and TCP. The port you want to open is 25565, if it asks for a second port just type 25565 in there aswell. Now the port should be opened. You might have to assign the port to be opened though. There should be something like 'assign a new application' or something close to that. Press that, and select the 'Minecraft' port we just made. The port is now open and ready to connect your friends to your system.

Do you want to know your ip? Just go to the website ipchicken, it'll display your ip. People will join your server through this ip, so give that one to your friends.

Your server should be working now.

Did I forget anything?

Tell me! And enjoy playing with your friends!

(Still things being added) Common fixes to problems:

-Redownload all the coremods, mods, configs etc.

-Remember to put the CONTENTS of the 'Voltz.jar' into your minecraft_server.jar

-If people can't join your server you probably haven't portforwarded right, make sure you've followed the step of portforwarding correctly.

-If someone (you) is trying to join the server and it says that you're missing a lot of the mods, you've got a wrong pack version or just a wrong pack, make sure you have the RIGHT version and make sure it's VOLTZ.

-My .bat file won't open the server! : make sure you've got the .bat file in the same folder as the launch server, and also make sure you've copied the text correctly.

-There's no mods or coremods or configs folder, so I can't put the mods and configs in! : remember to launch the server again after putting the contents of the 'Voltz.jar' into the minecraft_server.jar, launching it again will generate these folders.

If you have a question or it's still not working, just go ahead and ask! I'll try to help.

Im confused what do you mean extract all the file. When i extract then i cant run minecraft server.Sorry im a noob any were else i can find a video tutorial?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i launch launch.bat it says

C:UsersAmberDesktopserver voltzserver>java -Xmx3G -Xms1G -jar Voltz.jar nog

ui

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:UsersAmberDesktopserver voltzserver>pause

Press any key to continue . . .

i dont know what to do

So I have run many servers for minecraft and tekkit well this is my first voltz server. Well here's the issue. On my tekkit server which I do have they can connect but when I close and run my voltz server on the Same pc with thr same settings they can't. I've tried deleting all my old servers as well as restart my pc and factory resetting my router but nothing works. Yes the ports are forwarded. i am also using the correct IP. Any ideas?

P.s. they get a cannot resolve host name error and it shows up as off line but if they open minceaft or tekkit the server shows up as online but obviously they can't connect.

When ever I try to drag the Voltz.jar files in the Minecraft_Server.exe, it says that the archive is corrupt and won't let me do anything with it.

You should drag them into the minecraft_server.jar, not the .exe... Also, don't doublepost, there's an edit button.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a easier way to do it

I went in to notepad opened the launch.bat from the Voltz server

java -Xmx3G -Xms1G -jar Voltz.jar nogui

pause

this what it said

java -Xmx1G-Xms1G -jar Voltz.jar nogui

pause

and I changed the 3 (underlined) to a 1 and it worked fine

i get this:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----

// On the bright side, I bought you a teddy bear!

Time: 4.4.2013 22:38

Description: Exception in server tick loop

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ays

at mod_ReiMinimap.getVersion(mod_ReiMinimap.java:16)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.modloader.ModLoaderModContainer.getVersion(ModLoaderModContainer.java:423)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:483)

at cpw.mods.fml.server.FMLServerHandler.beginServerLoading(FMLServerHandler.java:86)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onServerStart(FMLCommonHandler.java:345)

at ho.c(DedicatedServer.java:64)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:458)

at fy.run(SourceFile:849)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ays

at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.RelaunchClassLoader.findClass(RelaunchClassLoader.java:185)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

... 8 more

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.<init>(Unknown Source)

at codechicken.core.asm.ClassHeirachyManager.transform(ClassHeirachyManager.java:80)

at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.RelaunchClassLoader.runTransformers(RelaunchClassLoader.java:228)

at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.RelaunchClassLoader.findClass(RelaunchClassLoader.java:173)

... 10 more

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Details --

Details:

Minecraft Version: 1.4.7

Operating System: Windows 7 (x86) version 6.1

Java Version: 1.7.0_10, Oracle Corporation

Java VM Version: Java HotSpot Client VM (mixed mode, sharing), Oracle Corporation

Memory: 12498992 bytes (11 MB) / 28839936 bytes (27 MB) up to 259522560 bytes (247 MB)

JVM Flags: 0 total;

AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used

Suspicious classes: FML and Forge are installed

IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0

FML: MCP v7.26 FML v4.7.4.520 Minecraft Forge 6.6.0.497 20 mods loaded, 20 mods active

mcp [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

FML [Forge Mod Loader] (coremods) Unloaded->Constructed

Forge [Minecraft Forge] (coremods) Unloaded->Constructed

CodeChickenCore [CodeChicken Core] (coremods) Unloaded->Constructed

NotEnoughItems [Not Enough Items] (coremods) Unloaded->Constructed

mod_ReiMinimap [mod_ReiMinimap] ([1.4.6]ReiMinimap_v3.2_06.zip) Unloaded->Constructed

BasicComponents [basic Components] (BasicComponents_v1.2.4.335.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

AssemblyLine [Assembly Line] (AssemblyLine_v0.2.4.62.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

AtomicScience [Atomic Science] (AtomicScience_v0.3.4.134.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

BlastCraft [blastCraft] (BlastCraft_v0.6.1.25.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

ElectricExpansion [Electric Expansion] (ElectricExpansion_v1.3.9.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

Liquid Mechanics [Liquid Mechanics] (Fluid-Mechanics_v0.2.6.14.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

ICBM [iCBM] (ICBM_v1.0.3.129.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

mod_InvTweaks [inventory Tweaks] (InventoryTweaks_1.46.zip) Unloaded->Constructed

Mekanism [Mekanism] (Mekanism-v5.2.0.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

MekanismGenerators [MekanismGenerators] (MekanismGenerators-v5.2.0.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

MekanismTools [MekanismTools] (MekanismTools-v5.2.0.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

ModularForceFieldSystem [Modular ForceField System V2] (ModularForceFieldSystemV2.2.8.3.6.zip) Unloaded->Constructed

mmmPowersuits [MachineMuse's Modular Powersuits] (ModularPowersuits-0.2.0-23.jar) Unloaded->Constructed

Railcraft [Railcraft] (Railcraft_1.4.6-6.14.0.0.zip) Unloaded->Constructed

Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)

Is Modded: Definitely; Server brand changed to 'fml'

Type: Dedicated Server (map_server.txt)

im 99% sure i did everything right

For a Linux server just download the .zip.

Pick a nice spot, say /voltz/

expand the zip with unzip

Depending on the ram you have (I have 6gb)

run

java -Xmx5G -Xms512M -jar voltz.jar nogui

from the command line.

This should build the file structure, now stop the server, set up ops.txt and whitelist if you want exposure to the Internet.

Beware you want a quad core 3ghz+ Intel CPU (intel i5 3570 price wise seems ideal) for this thing, the explosions eat CPU cycles.......so 3 or 4 players on a AMD 2x3000 CPU is pushing it...(which is what my server has)

I've followed all of the steps, copied the entire contents of voltz.jar into minecraft_server.jar, and now minecraft_server.jar won't run properly. It appears in the Processes tab in my task manager, however the interface that appeared the first time I ran it no longer appears.

I did exactly like you said and the server crashed after putting in the voltz mods, coremods, and config files in. Here is the log:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----

// My bad.

Time: 5/3/13 12:13 PM

Description: Exception in server tick loop

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI has an authority component

at java.io.File.<init>(Unknown Source)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.ModClassLoader.getParentSources(ModClassLoader.java:67)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.discovery.ModDiscoverer.findClasspathMods(ModDiscoverer.java:33)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.identifyMods(Loader.java:329)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:458)

at cpw.mods.fml.server.FMLServerHandler.beginServerLoading(FMLServerHandler.java:86)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onServerStart(FMLCommonHandler.java:345)

at ho.c(DedicatedServer.java:64)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:458)

at fy.run(SourceFile:849)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Details --

Details:

Minecraft Version: 1.4.7

Operating System: Windows 7 (x86) version 6.1

Java Version: 1.7.0_15, Oracle Corporation

Java VM Version: Java HotSpot Client VM (mixed mode, sharing), Oracle Corporation

Memory: 11680592 bytes (11 MB) / 18636800 bytes (17 MB) up to 259522560 bytes (247 MB)

JVM Flags: 0 total;

AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used

Suspicious classes: FML and Forge are installed

IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0

FML: MCP v7.26 FML v4.7.4.520 Minecraft Forge 6.6.0.497 5 mods loaded, 0 mods active

mcp [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar)

FML [Forge Mod Loader] (coremods)

Forge [Minecraft Forge] (coremods)

CodeChickenCore [CodeChicken Core] (coremods)

NotEnoughItems [Not Enough Items] (coremods)

Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)

Is Modded: Definitely; Server brand changed to 'fml'

Type: Dedicated Server (map_server.txt)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I followed all the steps correctly and I port forwarded and on step 8 when I opened it again the files mods, coremods, config and all the forgemod loader ones too except no window opened. Whenever I try to open the Minecraft Server file nothing happens

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have recently downloaded the Voltz server zip folder. I ran the Minecraft_server.jar, after it loaded spawn area I stopped it. Then I copied all files and folders within the Voltz.jar into the Voltz_server.jar... now the server.jar does not work. I have also tried loading the server.jar then running the voltz.jar. and this did not work either. Please help, it would be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've seen quite some posts with people asking how to make a server now, so I'll try to explain how to make one:

Step 1: Download the Voltz server file from technicpack.net

Step 2: Download the Minecraft server.jar from minecraft.net and extract the contents

Into the folder you want to use for your server using winrar

Step 3: run the Minecraft_server file that you got from the jar

(optional) Step 4: make a batch file so you can see errors or allocate a different amount

of RAM to the server, copy this text into notepad (change the numbers to the amount

of RAM you'd like to allocate):

java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui.

Now Save it, remember to do save as, and not just the normal save. You

need to save this as a .bat file, on the bottom you should choose "all files" instead of "text files"

and name it something like "run.bat" or "voltz server.bat". The .bat part should always be in there.

Step 5: open the jar you ran in step 3 using winrar, right click, select "open with" and choose Winrar. One of the maps in the Voltz server file should be called: Voltz.jar. Put all the contents into the server.jar you just opened with Winrar.

Step 6: Run the Minecraft_server.jar again

Step 7: You see that some new maps were

added to your server folder. The mods, coremods and config maps.

Just drag and drop the mods, coremods and configs from the Voltz folder

into the Server folder.

Step 8: Try running the server once again, just to check if it works.

(optional) Step 9: Set the server properties to the way you like it, for example turn

mob spawns off, or make your server whitelisted or anything like that. Do this by opening the PROPERTIES file with notepad. You can for example set mob spawns from true to false in here, and all kinds of other things

Step 10: You have to portforward, by some (many) this is considered the hardest part of making

a server. You should look up a video on portforwarding for your type of router, since for every router you have to portforward in a different way. I'll try to explain. But remember, it might be different on your router. First, press the start button and go to cmd, type 'ipconfig' in cmd and press enter. You want to look for the numbers after 'standard gateway'. Found them? Well, just type the numbers in your web browser. You should now get to your router's website. There should be something like toolbox, or gaming&application sharing or anything close to that. You want to create a new application here. Call it anything you want, just 'Minecraft' is okay. Now there should be something like, UDC, TCP and both. You want to select 'both' because we want both UDC and TCP. The port you want to open is 25565, if it asks for a second port just type 25565 in there aswell. Now the port should be opened. You might have to assign the port to be opened though. There should be something like 'assign a new application' or something close to that. Press that, and select the 'Minecraft' port we just made. The port is now open and ready to connect your friends to your system.

Do you want to know your ip? Just go to the website ipchicken, it'll display your ip. People will join your server through this ip, so give that one to your friends.

Your server should be working now.

Did I forget anything?

Tell me! And enjoy playing with your friends!

(Still things being added) Common fixes to problems:

-Redownload all the coremods, mods, configs etc.

-Remember to put the CONTENTS of the 'Voltz.jar' into your minecraft_server.jar

-If people can't join your server you probably haven't portforwarded right, make sure you've followed the step of portforwarding correctly.

-If someone (you) is trying to join the server and it says that you're missing a lot of the mods, you've got a wrong pack version or just a wrong pack, make sure you have the RIGHT version and make sure it's VOLTZ.

-My .bat file won't open the server! : make sure you've got the .bat file in the same folder as the launch server, and also make sure you've copied the text correctly.

-There's no mods or coremods or configs folder, so I can't put the mods and configs in! : remember to launch the server again after putting the contents of the 'Voltz.jar' into the minecraft_server.jar, launching it again will generate these folders.

If you have a question or it's still not working, just go ahead and ask! I'll try to help.

Is there a jar of the volt server that already as all of this done to it? I am not great with computers but really want to have a private server.