Why have Tekkit Lite?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would involve being a logical adult. He hasn't mastered that yet.

You are truly blinded by being a fanboy. Tekkit is great, I love it but the creator of forestry did not just remove it for no reason. He had tried and tried again to have his mod removed as most of the mods in Tekkit did not give permission to be included. They acted on a "Shoot first, ask questions later" basis. Most of the uproar of the injustice was swept under the rug until FTB came out. I love Tekkit and have never even played FTB so I am not fanboying either. I just made this account to inform you as you are horribly misinformed and need to grow up.

• Forum Administrators

You are truly blinded by being a fanboy. Tekkit is great, I love it but the creator of forestry did not just remove it for no reason. He had tried and tried again to have his mod removed as most of the mods in Tekkit did not give permission to be included. They acted on a "Shoot first, ask questions later" basis. Most of the uproar of the injustice was swept under the rug until FTB came out. I love Tekkit and have never even played FTB so I am not fanboying either. I just made this account to inform you as you are horribly misinformed and need to grow up.

This goes to show how horribly misinformed you are. Sengir never asked to have his mod removed before putting in his anti-technic code. He doesn't even deny this himself.

He calls Forestry a lost cause, because the developer was willing to put malicious code into his mod. Literally malware, that would cause your game to crash. In reality, he should be completely shunted from the community, but alas, MinecraftCommunityâ„¢.

It also shows how misinformed you are as well as the only thing the malicious code did was disable bee breeding by causing any breeding attempts to end in a special troll bee. Which would only cause minor harm to the area around your bee box so if you did not use bees their was no issue with the mod. Also note that the malicious code was only active in specific versions of the mod between technics update cycle so no one was directly effected by it. Other then the shock of finding out that its author would much rather put malicious code in his mod instead of doing the sane thing of asking for it to be removed directly.

With that aside my only real issue with tekkit light is that it is still using the old advanced repulsion mod that is based off the original MFFS instead of thunderdarks new one. Which is many time better at protecting a area from griefers that can easily by pass the force field via the many tricks out there.

It also shows how misinformed you are as well as the only thing the malicious code did was disable bee breeding by causing any breeding attempts to end in a special troll bee. Which would only cause minor harm to the area around your bee box so if you did not use bees their was no issue with the mod. Also note that the malicious code was only active in specific versions of the mod between technics update cycle so no one was directly effected by it. Other then the shock of finding out that its author would much rather put malicious code in his mod instead of doing the sane thing of asking for it to be removed directly.

With that aside my only real issue with tekkit light is that it is still using the old advanced repulsion mod that is based off the original MFFS instead of thunderdarks new one. Which is many time better at protecting a area from griefers that can easily by pass the force field via the many tricks out there.

Malicious code that only affects certain users, is still malicious code. No matter how small you consider it to be, it's code that intentionally does something bad.

The new name is actually advanced repulsion systems, if I'm right, and it adds more than 'just' forcefields. (I LOVE advanced tesla coils!)

Malicious code that only affects certain users, is still malicious code. No matter how small you consider it to be, it's code that intentionally does something bad.

You are correct and is also why forestry will never be technic again and a large amount of people have no trust in Sengir. I just wanted to make sure the facts were correct about what the code did and how minor it really was but malicious code is malicious code.

As for MFFS the reason I like thunderdark's new version is it does not matter what armor or equipment you have if your not suppose to be inside the forcefield/area you will be removed. Not only that it will also strip you of your items before killing you so that the owner of the field can decide to give them back or keep them. Which means that not even a full suit of quantum will protect you from it unlike a tesla coil equipped force fielded.

what is this forum about all i did was ask a simple question...

Forestry is a very sore subject around hear due to all the very heated drama surrounding its removal from technic. So it is a subject that is best avoided as everything that could be said about the matter has been said enough times to beat a dead horse into the microscopic remains of dust.

Forestry is a very sore subject around hear due to all the very heated drama surrounding its removal from technic. So it is a subject that is best avoided as everything that could be said about the matter has been said enough times to beat a dead horse into the microscopic remains of dust.

i had no clue it was a sore subject i have never used forestry mod and it sounds like a good one i just wanted to use it.

The new name is actually advanced repulsion systems, if I'm right, and it adds more than 'just' forcefields. (I LOVE advanced tesla coils!)

From what I can gather this is a basic timeline

1. Thunderdark writes MFFS.
  2. Thunderdark stops working on MFFS
  3. Immibis revives Thunderdark's MFFS mod (this is when tekkit (classic) starts using immibis' version)
  4. Thunderdark rewrites MFFS
  5. Immibis changes his version of MFFS to be called Advanced repulsion systems. (which is included in tekkit lite

Wait, im not sure about this so dont spaz if i derp out, isnt forestry open source so anyone could adjust the coding. If people really wanted forestry in Tekkit they could just change that 'troll bee' or whatever it was. Besides its not like Bee breeding was the best part of forestry. Also which mod is it that adds the Vajra and grav-chestplate to IC2, that mods seems cool.

Wait, im not sure about this so dont spaz if i derp out, isnt forestry open source so anyone could adjust the coding. If people really wanted forestry in Tekkit they could just change that 'troll bee' or whatever it was. Besides its not like Bee breeding was the best part of forestry. Also which mod is it that adds the Vajra and grav-chestplate to IC2, that mods seems cool.

Forestry is closed source and the malicious code was already disabled by Sengir with in hours of technics official removal of the mod. So it is completely safe to install manually and in fact is very easy to do so, just don't expect much support form the technic community as mentioned above.

As for the grav-chestplate and Vajra that would be this one Gravitation Suite.

(note that the views and knowledge put forth in this post are mine and my understanding, and may not be 100% correct)

From what I understand, Sengir has removed the code which prevented full compatibility with the technic launcher. Just he does not want it in the official launch version. Installing it yourself is perfectly fine. i think.

The Problem that technic has is a bad reputation among certain areas of the MC community, who see them as thieving little illegitimates. This is mostly due to their policy of using mods within the packs without the permission of the mod authors. This is, from what I personally understand, a gray legal area as the technic launcher downloads them from the actual downloads (supposedly). Art the same time, several mod authors do not like this and see it as using their mods without permission, including sengir and his forestry mod. sengir is not the only mod author who has asked for their mod to be removed from the pack, just the one who went about it in a rather extreme manner. For example, mo'creatures has been removed due to the only mod pack which has the permission to use it is the Yogbox.

The reason, I'm believe, that tekkit lite has been released is quite possibly to show everyone that the technic team is Doing Something. There has been no new official tekkit releases in something like 4 months, maybe longer. Alright, this was perhaps because Red Power had not updated, but there still was nothing new.

At the same time, we have Feed the Beast. For those who have not heard of Feed the Beast, it was originally a map which used a number of tech mods. Since this needed a certain number of mods installed in a certain way, they ended up creating their own launcher, with their own mod packs. Which creates a potential problem for technic, in that they now have some serious competition.

In the past, technic was dominant in the mod pack department because it was the only (to my knowledge) mod pack which had its own launcher. In effect, an end user with no real knowledge of how to install mods could play a large number of mods quite happily. Plus, tekkit was popular because it was one of the only multiplayer mod packs. Now Feed the Beast is slowly growing in popularity, and worst of all, taking away the traffic that technic used to have. Worse, it is taking away the mod packs that technic used to have. Anyone else noticed that voxel has disappeared from the list of mods in the launcher? They have jumped over to the Feed the Beast mod pack.

Now, early I pointed out technics bad reputation? Well, feed the beast doesnt have this reputation, quite the opposite in fact, as they are very meticulous about getting mod authors permission before including them in their packs, and also insists that any third party mod packs in their launcher do so as well. Thus several mod authors who dislike technic is perfectly willing to work with the Feed the Beast pack, including sengir. This means that there are a couple of mods that have been included in the Feed the Beast mod packs which have been forced to be removed from technic, such as forestry. And it has been updating since it came out in November I believe.

This essentially adds up to technic needing to do something in order to maintain its market share, otherwise just fade away into a footnote in MC history. Thus, we have them releasing Tekkit lite. Now, UndeadMike pointed out that this mod is pretty much identical to technic mod pack dev builds. A possible reason for releasing this as a Tekkit is, quite simply, coupled with the above, that Tekkit has been the more successful of the two mod packs. Thus, if we consider that this is an attempt by the technic team to show they are still a viable contender in what could be termed "launcher wars", then it makes sense for it to be released under the tekkit name, since the aim is to show the most people that they are doing something.

I personally played tekkit the most back when I was playing. I think I played technic maybe once or twice, but stuck to multiplayer servers and thus used tekkit. Now, the problem is quite simply, with the absence of bukkit within forge. which means that many of the plugins used on multiplayer servers will no longer work with tekkit. Thus, making this mod into a new version of tekkit could cause problems for large servers, as many of the plugins they rely on would not be present.

Now, while we are on the subject, lets try a comparison of tekkit lite and Feed the Beast. Well, herein lies an interesting problem, as the Feed the Beast team maintain 4 mod packs in their launcher(well, they have 5, but one of them is an old 1.2.5 ssp so not really "maintained"), all rather similar but with different make ups. The Feed the Beast Beta Pack A is still on 1.4.2, and thus out of date. However, it contains many of the core mods that are included within the tekkit lite, excepting the EE3 and Red Power 2. Now, Direwolf20 pack and mindcrack packs both include Red Power and are running on 1.4.6, with Direwolf20 having EE3 as well.

Now, personally, I have only played on beta Pack A, so, cannot really compare it to the others and tekkit lite. However, compared to the old tekkit, i have to say that the shift is, interesting. For example, I doubt those who are complaining about the lack of Condensers and collectors will be that enthused about the mod gregtech, which I note is absent from the tekkit lite. Now, i'm enjoying playing around with it, discovering the interesting methods that can be used within the mod, but i have to admit it makes the end game soooo much further away. But oh so epic. For those of you who have not played with gregtech, heres one of the largest changes: the mod overrides the mass fabricator with the matter fabricator, which requires 100 times more EU and requires scrap to make a single UU matter. Oh, and it requires Iridium to make, which means it is a good thing that iridium now spawns in single block veins anywhere in a chunk and once in every 5 chunks. I am informed that newer versions of the mod makes it easier to get iridum through other ways, including the End, but I have not yet played those.

Now, looking at the tekkit lite list, I note many mods within the list of mods in the various mod packs in the Feed the beast launcher, and a few which are not. Except none of these appear to be core mods. In both tekkit lite and the various FTB mod packs, the core mods are pretty much the same or similar. Gregtech is missing in the tekkit lite, but then it is also missing from Direwolf20's pack. Gravisuite is also absent, but that is pretty much end game any way and only adds a way of flying into the game. Forestry and thaumcraft are both in the Mindcrack and Direwolf20 packs, while both are pretty much not going to be in any technic mod pack again.

Now looking at the list of mods for each pack, it becomes apparent that each is different and has a different composition. However, the traditional core mods of IC2, buildcraft and Red power are identical to each mod pack, excepting the beta pack A which came out before Red Power did, but which will certainly include it when it updates.

In conclusion, the major reason that the new mod pack is named after tekkit is simply that it is an attempt to maintain the popularity of what may very well be a slowly dying mod launcher. Do not get me wrong, I loved tekkit back in the day, but now there is competition, and competition that seems to be doing a much better job than tekkit is, I think I will still with FTB, rather than return to have a go at this new tekkit lite. Partly because of the much better way that FTB treats mod authors and partly because I like the mod line up better. Technic launcher appears to be slowly dying with voxel jumping ship and with the long lack of updates to tekkit and technic. Oh before you point to volt, I would happily point you to the FTB mod pack Universal Electricity, which is identical apart from the name, and put together by the same people.

This is really a delicate situation with Forestry and Tekkit. Somewhere I feel the authors have forgotten that they make mods for another company's game - not their own game. It's supposed to be for the community of Minecraft to enjoy. We are all fans of the same game here. To include malicious code just because you happen to have a beef with the makers of a mod pack - is to me baffling. It hurts no one else than the players - the ones who truly love this game. It's really unforgivable and I will never have such software on my server. What happens if he suddenly isn't pleased with Feed The Beast anymore? Will he start making new bad ware to infect the players with?

I can understand that authors want creed for their work. But how many players would they have if not for mod packs such as Tekkit? It's complicated enough to install mods on my computer - let alone see to it that all players on the server have the same mods and same versions. Tekkit has been the ONLY reason me and my friends on my server still play Minecraft. Without mods we would be bored with Minecraft many months ago. And without Tekkit we would still be playing something else because no one would bother installing it all. I feel Tekkit deserve some credit here for making great mods easy to enjoy.

While maintaining a server there is one thing I want - stability. That is not a word I would use in the Minecraft mod community right now. Well with the API coming, Bukkit vs Forge and now Tekkit Lite vs Feed The Beast - it's starting to get messy. The only question I need answered is this: Should the servers playing Tekkit now stick to their worlds or start migrating to Tekkit Lite or Feed The Beast? Or will none of this matter when the official API comes out? The whole future for the Minecraft mod community feels a little bit uncertain.

Well, i for one definitly like FTB and i dont care about the whole credibility either side. I dont understand how them using the mods without permission could be bad, just making it easier for people who dont know squat about modding(like me)to use some really good mods together in a fun and safe environment. I would be honored to know my mod was in such a revolutionizing mod pack.

(note that the views and knowledge put forth in this post are mine and my understanding, and may not be 100% correct) ...

Thank you for taking the time to explain this, thegreatpl! These things are finally starting to make sense. I only recently got into Tekkit for the first time, and was disappointed to see a departure from the Tekkit pack I was playing with when Tekkit Lite was introduced as I felt I had a lot of work/time/effort put into my world already and there seemed no way to migrate between what is now Tekkit Classic and the new Tekkit Lite.

This dilemma forced me to search for alternatives, which lead me to FTB. I scoured for what information I could find on how to proceed with a choice between the two, and had learned a lot of bits and pieces about what you just posted, but your complete post helps tie all of that disparate information together so I could make a more informed decision on what to play.

At this point, I'm waiting for the FTB Ultimate mod pack to be released and toying around with Mindcrack in the meantime. I love all of the things these mods do for Minecraft, but like many other people, don't want the hassle of finding and compiling all of these mods separately myself, and then having to update and maintain going forward. Having these mod packs and launchers makes it so much more accessible, and gives me the opportunity to play Minecraft in ways that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the information -- it really helped me and I just wanted to be sure you knew the time you took helped at least one person quite a bit. :)

Thank you for taking the time to explain this, thegreatpl! These things are finally starting to make sense. I only recently got into Tekkit for the first time, and was disappointed to see a departure from the Tekkit pack I was playing with when Tekkit Lite was introduced as I felt I had a lot of work/time/effort put into my world already and there seemed no way to migrate between what is now Tekkit Classic and the new Tekkit Lite.

This dilemma forced me to search for alternatives, which lead me to FTB. I scoured for what information I could find on how to proceed with a choice between the two, and had learned a lot of bits and pieces about what you just posted, but your complete post helps tie all of that disparate information together so I could make a more informed decision on what to play.

At this point, I'm waiting for the FTB Ultimate mod pack to be released and toying around with Mindcrack in the meantime. I love all of the things these mods do for Minecraft, but like many other people, don't want the hassle of finding and compiling all of these mods separately myself, and then having to update and maintain going forward. Having these mod packs and launchers makes it so much more accessible, and gives me the opportunity to play Minecraft in ways that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the information -- it really helped me and I just wanted to be sure you knew the time you took helped at least one person quite a bit. :)

This person is wrong and has terrible opinions, please disregard his post and carry on with your life.

I only recently got into Tekkit for the first time, and was disappointed to see a departure from the Tekkit pack I was playing with when Tekkit Lite was introduced as I felt I had a lot of work/time/effort put into my world already and there seemed no way to migrate between what is now Tekkit Classic and the new Tekkit Lite.

This dilemma forced me to search for alternatives

How did it 'force' you to switch to other alternatives? Even if you use FTB, you still have to start over. Your thought process here makes no sense. Also, thegreatpl is wrong on a 'great' (see what I did there?) number of things. I would highly recommend to disregard his post. He has lots of misinformation, and false assumptions. His view on why Tekkit Lite was established is completely wrong as well.

I like The Technic Pack, and I like FTB; this false dilemma nonsense wherein vocal minorities take sides and want everyone to know why is silly.

TTP has such significance that little economies emerged around the most popular Tekkit servers, because TTP fulfilled a theretofore unsatisfied demand for both consistency and easy-to-install mods. FTB similarly makes it easy for non-technical users to enjoy mods, and those concerned about the experience of the user should take no issue with more modpack curators making more mods more accessible through their launchers.