Why have Tekkit Lite?

Also FTB has an advantage in that its creator, Slowpoke, is friends with many forge mod authors, you would know this if you have seen any of direwolfs series play. So he is trusted by them more than some random stranger

Kaker is as well, he just doesn't flaunt it as much. But you'll sometimes see IRC logs where Kaker is hanging out with LexManos and other Forge authors.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick note from a while back. GregTech is DESIGNED not to work in a technic/Tekkit install. The creator has posted this somewhere in his forum thread.... I'll see if I can find it.

Yea. It detects the word techniclauncher in the pack and crashes the game. Couple issues: What if the person installed the pack themself, or if their username happened to be technclauncher. I'd have to say.. Kinda uninformed. Also means my custom zip can't EVER have it

Steve's carts perform many of the duties that forestry did. Beyond that, Forestry was redundant which you could pretty much do with items from BC and IC2. Which just required more manual work which is a fun aspect of Tekkit.

With the demise of Railcraft now, I was really looking forward to using the huge iron tanks and water towers, and maybe someone can add something similar so we can use them to store our lovely fluids and generate water without destroying the map, or cheating with the water reforming mechanic ie: [water][air][water] -> [water][water][water].

The whole idea of liscences are stupid. The software in the mods are freeware and have an unconditional acceptance of use and distribution, so long the original creator and maintaining team are credited. If malicious code was added to a mod (malware, which violates Computer Abuse Act 1990) by disrupting a program intentionally, should have their modding rights severely penalized. Children play this game, and adding malicious coding can lead to all sorts of trouble which can result in a serious investigation, and ramifications for the modder, the game developers and the future of minecraft and relating projects.

>or cheating with the water reforming mechanic ie: [water][air][water] -> [water][water][water].

this is a feature of vanilla minecraft that has been in place since minecraft infdev and is by no means a cheat or exploit.

also, whats stopping you from storing liquids in buildcraft tanks?

The whole argument of mod permissions is stupid.

I didn't know who Eloraam was before Tekkit, now I do and I have massive respect for their work.

Same could be said for any mod author that Tekkit has made me familiar with.

I hadn't taken Minecraft seriously for a couple years and I've owned the game since early beta, its a great game, but being stuck in the iron age got boring.

Tekkit exposed me to Buildcraft, IC2, RP2, EE2/EE3, Railcraft, and an inordinate amount of other mods that to be frank...I'd have never bothered taking the time trying to make work together on my own.

Simple facts are, the mod authors that have been included in the Tekkit pack have gained more notoriety in the modding community and in the MC community in general than the mod authors who haven't. And that in and of itself is a net benefit TO the mod developers, not the Technic/Tekkit modpack team. Technic/Tekkit and various Youtubers have exposed all these wonderful creations to the rest of the internet at large and its brought tons of new life to the Minecraft title all by itself.

Anyone that can be blind to that and simply focus on arguments about permissions and not even realize that no one outside of a very small circle of people would even know their name without modpack's, is simply too self absorbed to make the connection.

So in the end, if you didn't make Rei's Minimap....previous to Tekkit I had no idea who you were and nor did I care. Congratulations, Tekkit gained you +1 fans. (Probably a lot more than +1 really).

Anyways given the cycle of drama that seems to go on in MC Modding, even FTB with its meticulous "we have permission" policy, is eventually going to start hitting roadblocks due to personality conflicts and too many egos in a single pot.

In the end the only "modpack" thats ever going to be stable, dependable, and drama free is a modpack that is designed by a small, professional team, that has zero level of conflict and an excellent ability to create an entire suite of mods that work together and make MC a better experience, that doesn't require all this extraneous modder support from already established mods. Simple facts are, is if they want to be islands...let them. Its not hard to make newer mods, better mods and not be subject to the whims of people that might be a few doses light on their SSRI's lately.

This ^^^ (Post 56) and I'd like to add

If modders keep making themselves islands and blocking out packs over permissions (or just general dislike/hate) then sooner or later someone is going to say screw this BS, learn java and make a clone (which is obviously designed how they wanted that mod to be) and release that, result, the island mod isn't an issue anymore because something just came out to do the same thing, without the drama

So long term this is a good thing (funny I know) because

1. Island modders are shooting themselves in the foot
    therefore
  2. More people will learn to mod (in theory)
    therefore
  3. A greater selection of mods will be available
    therefore
  4. We win

That is enough thereforing for 1 post

therefore

LURK MODE...ACTIVATE

The FTB Launcher itself is pretty terrible in my opinion. I couldn't figure out how to get anything done so I said screw it and went back to the Technic Launcher.

really? i found it really interesting and easy, the multiplayer download is extremely quick and doesnt require any sort of file editing like i had to do with tekkit server, the problem is it runs a lot slower, even when im running it with max RAM

This ^^^ (Post 56) and I'd like to add

If modders keep making themselves islands and blocking out packs over permissions (or just general dislike/hate) then sooner or later someone is going to say screw this BS, learn java and make a clone (which is obviously designed how they wanted that mod to be) and release that, result, the island mod isn't an issue anymore because something just came out to do the same thing, without the drama

So long term this is a good thing (funny I know) because

1. Island modders are shooting themselves in the foot
    therefore
  2. More people will learn to mod (in theory)
    therefore
  3. A greater selection of mods will be available
    therefore
  4. We win

That is enough thereforing for 1 post

therefore

LURK MODE...ACTIVATE

well, i dont think i will ever have the want or need to mod, i dont know how and i dont plan to learn. I love minecraft, but i cant mod. I love mods, but i cant do it myself which is something many people have in common, which is why the technic launcher was so amazing, it made it easy to put together cool new mods.

Tekkit is popular because it is rock candy; it provides a better user experience than manual modding, and the curated modpacks function as a surface upon which the user base nucleates to form a community.

As for modding, programming, design and such, everyone is capable. Even where one feels unable to commit the time, patience, the resources to education or development, one is still capable, but chooses to invest those resources differently. And that's fine, it just seems inaccurate to say one can't develop a mod or game where it is more accurate that one, for whatever motive, chooses not to do so.

Just a bit of fanciful speculation here, but I hope to see more Peer Organized Open Projects (POOPs) in the near future; not just mods, but I imagine quality games, from design through release to post-release support, could be produced from effortful POOPs. Hundreds of helping hands working on their own initiative under the direction of scores of minds, collaborating on a glorious, massive POOP.

On the contrary, I simply delight in leveraging comedic value from otherwise dull acronyms.

EDIT: I felt I needed to clarify the above; seriousness is bullshit, and a playful attitude turns that bullshit into fertilizer. One errs in conflating a serious appearance with a sincere consideration/appreciation of a subject.

It's terribly easy to misunderstand people on the internet, and most everyone is guilty of reacting to such misconceptions. In the interest of the public good, I've compiled a brief checklist for your consideration. Before responding to what seems like an outrageously misguided internet person, consult the following list and determine if your initial impression is reliable.

• Caution: Does the content make a sincere point, directly or by rhetorical device?
    Begin by giving others the benefit of the doubt. Assume a poster is, however misguided, basically well-intentioned. Imagine the words said aloud to get a better sense of their intent.
  • Objectify: Is the content sharing objective or subjective information?
    Objective content makes assertions and claims, while subjective content is perspective and personal; don't waste time arguing over tastes and preferences.
  • Consideration: Is the content a relevant contribution to the subject?
    Observe the claims being made, independent of the presentation's quality, rhetorical device, or the claimant's character.
  • Knowledge: Are there errors I am in a position to correct?
    Be generous but respectful when correcting misconceptions; pride on either side may present obstacles to accepting information.
  • Self-reflection: How does my response reflect on me?
    Showing respect and tact for others is an indispensable basic utility in social contexts. Whether you value your dignity and the esteem of others, or are the sort who feigns polite civility, demonstrating good character and social awareness makes a better impression on the community, and especially those with which you may argue.

Please keep these in mind, take a few moments to commit them to memory. You may find it helpful to exercise them orally, the activity of one's mouth perhaps anchoring them more firmly inside.

EE3 is being completely rewritten to be less 'cheaty' there is no condensers or collectors or transmutation tablets as of now. I know that forestry and thaumcraft arent allowed in tekkit(which sucks), which is why i play FTB cause it has forestry(totally not a lost cause).

I personally play with Forestry in Technic every now and then, you can still install it manually, unlike certain "modders".

I do like the attitude the ComputerCraft devs have, though. Open-source is definitely the way to go.

It's time mod makers learn how to throw that "It's MY mod! MINE!" attitude out of the window. Seriously. It's only causing drama and mud-slinging.

It's time mod makers learn how to throw that "It's MY mod! MINE!" attitude out of the window. Seriously. It's only causing drama and mud-slinging.

jeah thats so stupid... notch also supports/helps any other minecrafty like games and dont insults them.

i just dont understand all this anti-tekkit nonesence. its all just mods people act like its their own game <.<

jeah thats so stupid... notch also supports/helps any other minecrafty like games and dont insults them.

i just dont understand all this anti-tekkit nonesence. its all just mods people act like its their own game <.<

Yeah, I dont understand why people will make mods, but have to make it impossible to use them with other mods, dont get me wrong I love tekkit, i just strongly hate that other mods wont just cooperate with them and be in it. You shouldnt have to ask to make their mods easily accesible, I had never heard of Forestry before tekkit.

I like how what was once a discussion on the differences between tekkit lite and technic, has become a huge rant about modding in general, it just shows what kind of an amazing community tekkit has created. I love it, no joke.

i wish i had the time/motivation to learn java to make my own mods ^^ i once played a bit around but i wasnt able to keep up with the minecraft updated (because everytime all my stuff broke ^^)

Learning a language isn't difficult; it's about as challenging as learning to play these Minecraft mods.

When you began learning about RedPower logic or frame machines, RailCraft mechanisms, IC2 wiring, Buildcraft power generation, item sorting systems, et cetera, you probably tinkered with shit just to see what would happen (unless you're a hopelessly dull, unimaginative mannequin whose first impulse is to check the wiki). You probably burned some cables, exploded some machines, crashed some trains, clogged some pipes with junk, and eventually you managed to hack together something that functioned properly, or at least not terribly. Tinkering is a form of play, playing with the unknown to discover how it behaves, learning through play.

One explores and tinkers, learns and builds in these open-world sandbox games by the gradual accretion of accomplishment. You don't start with the big awesome 10000-hour project of brain-hemorrhaging complexity; you collect a thousand little accomplishments that make those big awesome projects seem possible.

If you wanna learn a language, start by avoiding srs bsns, start by playing, tinker and see what you can do.

Kaker is as well, he just doesn't flaunt it as much. But you'll sometimes see IRC logs where Kaker is hanging out with LexManos and other Forge authors.

Lol, this whole forum is a joke. Slowpoke hangs out with the mod authors of the major mods that everyone wants to play, IRC means nothing. I ran a server with a guy that hung out on IRC the night RedPower 2 was released and was blessed by the presence of Eloraam on IRC and if you think that hanging out with LexManors and some Forge authors on IRC is something special, you're clueless. I'm done with these forums, there's nothing but ignorance, stupidity, lies, and a serious lack of help. Thank god I managed to figure the things out I that I needed in the little time spent here.

Tekkit Lite is doomed to fail because the Technic team refuses to face certain realities. This is not to say this can't be changed, but the general attitude displayed by the little forum staff, as well as the way they continue to carry themselves will result in the end of their little journey soon. SMARTEN UP: Feed-The-Beast has you beat with mods, the developers behind them, and the community that has EXPLODED behind the whole movement. It would be in YOUR BEST INTERESTS TO: GO AND ASK FOR F&^%ING PERMISSIONS. STOP BEING IGNORANT CHILDREN AND GO AND BE CIVILIZED ADULTS. ASK for their intellectual properties, and you shall receive. Only you hold the key to your success, Technic Team, feel free to delete this as I assume you will.

This person is wrong and has terrible opinions, please disregard his post and carry on with your life.

You, friend, are but a small sliver of filth that inhabits this forum and do absolutely NOTHING to help your Minecraft Community by being here. Change your attitude or get out, there's a big open world out there, go be a blight places other then where others seek help.

SMARTEN UP: Feed-The-Beast has you beat with mods, the developers behind them, and the community that has EXPLODED behind the whole movement.

The only thing that FTB has over Technic is a community full of hate. Both modders and users. FTB was created from hate and is still following that trend today. Also please fix they're website. It is one of the shittiest layouts I have ever seen for a place that thinks they're all professional. And the forums... god don't even get me started on how bad those look.

Feed The Beast... wtf does that even mean? and have to do with minecraft? Damn, guess they got Technic beat on names too...

Lol, this whole forum is a joke. Slowpoke hangs out with the mod authors of the major mods that everyone wants to play, IRC means nothing. I ran a server with a guy that hung out on IRC the night RedPower 2 was released and was blessed by the presence of Eloraam on IRC and if you think that hanging out with LexManors and some Forge authors on IRC is something special, you're clueless. I'm done with these forums, there's nothing but ignorance, stupidity, lies, and a serious lack of help. Thank god I managed to figure the things out I that I needed in the little time spent here.

Tekkit Lite is doomed to fail because the Technic team refuses to face certain realities. This is not to say this can't be changed, but the general attitude displayed by the little forum staff, as well as the way they continue to carry themselves will result in the end of their little journey soon. SMARTEN UP: Feed-The-Beast has you beat with mods, the developers behind them, and the community that has EXPLODED behind the whole movement. It would be in YOUR BEST INTERESTS TO: GO AND ASK FOR F&^%ING PERMISSIONS. STOP BEING IGNORANT CHILDREN AND GO AND BE CIVILIZED ADULTS. ASK for their intellectual properties, and you shall receive. Only you hold the key to your success, Technic Team, feel free to delete this as I assume you will.

You, friend, are but a small sliver of filth that inhabits this forum and do absolutely NOTHING to help your Minecraft Community by being here. Change your attitude or get out, there's a big open world out there, go be a blight places other then where others seek help.

Yeah, you are totally right! Technic team is evil and doesn't have permissions! Flower Child was right all along, we really ARE the root of all evil! And of course we will delete your post, because that's what the Minecraft Forums do, right?

Oh, wait. This isn't the Minecraft Forum. Your post will probably stay here, for people to laugh at.

Technic actually DOES have full, 100% permissions. They just don't flaunt it in your face like that (half-assed) list on the FTB forums. Why not, you ask? The same reason Obama doesn't carry his birth certificate above his head wherever he goes.

The only thing that FTB has over Technic is a community full of hate. Both modders and users. FTB was created from hate and is still following that trend today. Also please fix they're website. It is one of the shittiest layouts I have ever seen for a place that thinks they're all professional. And the forums... god don't even get me started on how bad those look.

Feed The Beast... wtf does that even mean? and have to do with minecraft? Damn, guess they got Technic beat on names too...

FTB Modpack isn't born out of hate, but it did become popular because of hate. It was originally made as a modpack for a custom map. IIRC, it was called "Feed The Beast" because you had to "feed" the "beast" with certain items in order to win. However, people found it was pretty fun outside of custom maps, and it become popular around that time, when Minecraft Forums was all like "Look guys, a modpack which does have permissions!".