Railcraft - Please Remove

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this does is turn me off to the mod authors work. It makes me want to not use RailCraft. Mod packs, imo, are vital because the do all the heavy lifting. I don't have to worry about ID conflicts because someone else has done that for me. Quite frankly, I don't want to mess with trying to get different mods to play well together. I'd much rather use a mod pack. These mod authors would do well to work with mod pack creators rather than creating a divisive atmosphere because they are not doing themselves a service by acting this way.

I was about to say, can't they just add the appropriate license(s) and/or links? I like Railcraft, and I would love to see it stay in Tekkit.

That mod listing page is pretty obviously incomplete, I'm sure the author's license info will be included.

I may have spoken out of turn, I just found the FTB pack and it looks way more promising than Tekkit. I wasn't aware that there was another option. I'll only add that while the Technic creators should post the credit info the RailCraft developer asks for, there are better ways to go about this than the current posturing he/she is using in the original post of this thread.

I don't understand the limitation concerning revenue. Why would it matter if a modpack earns revenue. They have to pay for their servers to host their site. Revenue is gross earnings, not net earnings.

Either the mod author doesn't know the difference between revenue and profit, or he doesn't want anyone to have the ability to pay for their expenses. In addition, monies earned by providing this modpack in no way hinders monies earned by the mod author. In fact, I wouldn't have ever known of this mod if it weren't for the Technic/Tekkit folks and their modpack.

The inclusion of his mod in this modpack is a net gain for the mod author.

I love the Railcraft mod and the Tekkit series of modpacks and I hope this issue can be sorted out.

I don't understand the limitation concerning revenue. Why would it matter if a modpack earns revenue. They have to pay for their servers to host their site. Revenue is gross earnings, not net earnings.

Either the mod author doesn't know the difference between revenue and profit, or he doesn't want anyone to have the ability to pay for their expenses. In addition, monies earned by providing this modpack in no way hinders monies earned by the mod author. In fact, I wouldn't have ever known of this mod if it weren't for the Technic/Tekkit folks and their modpack.

I love the Railcraft mod and the Tekkit series of modpacks and I hope this issue can be sorted out.

If YOU made something that took time out of your life, and you gave it away for free, would you like someone profiting off of your hard work?

I heard about this post on slowpoke's stream, I don't use technic but railcraft is one of my favorite mods especially because it's probably one of the most balanced. I really think some most people are taking this a bit too harshly, all he asked was that they post a publicly accessible list of permission and license links for all the mods used in all the modpacks using railcraft which (assuming they do have sufficient permissions), only takes a few minutes. While he is being pretty nice about it in his post here, I don't doubt that he will take further action if it's not removed which I would fully support, especially considering how certain people who will remain anonymous have dealt with similar situations having to do with the technic pack.

I don't understand the limitation concerning revenue. Why would it matter if a modpack earns revenue. They have to pay for their servers to host their site. Revenue is gross earnings, not net earnings.Either the mod author doesn't know the difference between revenue and profit, or he doesn't want anyone to have the ability to pay for their expenses. In addition, monies earned by providing this modpack in no way hinders monies earned by the mod author. In fact, I wouldn't have ever known of this mod if it weren't for the Technic/Tekkit folks and their modpack.

From the terms of service on minecraft.net which you read and agreed to when you bought the game:

Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money.

Child #1: "Your not slowed to play with my toys any more unless you play with them how I tell you too!!!"

Child #2: "Well your toys sucked any way, so there!"

Honestly though, this should have been sent to the devs in a PM or email, not posted in the forums for every one to read.

If YOU made something that took time out of your life, and you gave it away for free, would you like someone profiting off of your hard work?

Notch seemed rather ok with it when all these mod authors started profiting from derivatives of his hard work.

Honestly though, this should have been sent to the devs in a PM or email, not posted in the forums for every one to read.

He said that he had already talked to one of their team members, so he posted it publicly.

I may have spoken out of turn, I just found the FTB pack and it looks way more promising than Tekkit.

It is much more promising, and much friendlier with the modding community :)

It was, they released anyway.

Prove it. Post the PM. Post screenshots of every pm you sent if you want anyone to believe you. Shouldn't be too much to ask, I mean, you do the same with your permissions lists.

I heard about this post on slowpoke's stream, I don't use technic but railcraft is one of my favorite mods especially because it's probably one of the most balanced. I really think some most people are taking this a bit too harshly, all he asked was that they post a publicly accessible list of permission and license links for all the mods used in all the modpacks using railcraft which (assuming they do have sufficient permissions), only takes a few minutes. While he is being pretty nice about it in his post here, I don't doubt that he will take further action if it's not removed which I would fully support, especially considering how certain people who will remain anonymous have dealt with similar situations having to do with the technic pack.

From the terms of service on minecraft.net which you read and agreed to when you bought the game:

I'll use his mod wiether he likes it or not. I believe that is the offical stance of the forge folks these days!

Notch seemed rather ok with it when all these mod authors started profiting from derivatives of his hard work.

Notch allowed it, however this is a smaller scale project. So there is no funding to the modders.

Prove it. Post the PM. Post screenshots of every pm you sent if you want anyone to believe you. Shouldn't be too much to ask, I mean, you do the same with your permissions lists.

Seriously? Whether he did PM them or not it doesn't really matter, the point of this thread is for the technic team to post proof of their permissions, whether he PM'ed them or not they still have to post the permission links.

I'll use his mod wiether he likes it or not. I believe that is the offical stance of the forge folks these days!

Trust me, that's not the stance of any of the forge devs, if that's really what you think why don't you go get screenshot of that if you're all about proving things. You may use his mod, but if technic doesn't provide a list of permissions links, you won't be using it in technic.