Custom ZIP Problems and General Q&A

shplamana

I help host a small Tekkit server with my friend and I do all the technical work with the server. Loading and unloading mods, maintenance, etc. But this new custom zip features is really starting to kick my talent to the curb. After some fiddling, I managed to get it to work for my client, but only mine. Whenever someone else attempts to do the update, the custom zip will be downloaded successfully, but the launcher will not unpack it into the right folders. Also, I have modified the Mystcraft config file so that it uses a different block ID, but it doesn't overwrite the existing config file when it does unpack and I have to explain what to do to everyone that plays on my server, in order for them to play.

So, I was hoping someone would be able to explain:

1. Custom ZIP downloads, but doesn't unpack.

2. Custom ZIP downloads, unpacks, but doesn't overwrite existing config files.

Thank you and here is the link to my custom ZIP in case someone wants to take a gander. Maybe it's the way I packaged them:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64425586/Server/Server.zip

wate what? I have ben looking for something similar but my problem is I just don't get it I try a ulr from internet don't work is there a zip maker or what?

What are you trying exactly? My problem was that I had 2 zip folders inside a zip folder. This caused the Technic Launcher to not unpack the files into the right place.

Yes that's correct. Then you need to link to it using a website where people can get to it. I use the Public folder in my dropbox and then distribute the link. Then you put that link in the custom zip text box in the options menu and when you launch your tekkit, it should reach out to the site and download that file.

Ok let me outline the steps then:

1. Take the mods you want and put them in a "mods" folder. That means take .jar files and put them in the folder.

2. Right click on the folder and click "send to" and then choose the "compressed (zipped) folder" option. For me I have 7 zip and that's a different menu.

3. Put that zipped folder somewhere where people can access it, like dropbox.

4. Copy the link of folder and put it in the custom zip option in the options menu.

5. Run the launcher and it should work.

Try it out with my link and just try the single player option. When it loads up, it should say it has 66 mods loaded.