How do I install more mods?

MoNkEyxJOSH

Question

I want to add Recipe book, Nether Expansion and a few more mods to this awesome pack, but I don't know if I need to install them in the minecraft.jar in technicssp/bin/minecraft.jar or the jar named 'modpack' in the same bin folder. Or is there another way to install more mods?

18 answers to this question

This is why I think the old installer system is still superior. You had the option of not installing some mods, freeing up some ID's for mods not in the pack that you choose to play with.

I think if you could use the launcher to update/download the required files, but still create a similar installation to the old installer.jar then you'd have a perfect being.

Jay?: I don't think Metallurgy works with the technic pack.

Others: And for people who are looking for using Recipe Book,/similar mods, if you get one like that and it has an ID Conflict, there should be props files... I'm interested in installing a mod like that myself, so I have more stuff to put in my library map.

Not that I can play technic pack at all, due to this one major glitch that I brought up that has been ignored completely :B

Jay?: I don't think Metallurgy works with the technic pack.

I will do my damnedest to make it work. I want this with the ferocious intensity of a thousand dying suns.

And also, what's the worst that could happen? i have to redownload technic? boo. hoo.

This is why I think the old installer system is still superior. You had the option of not installing some mods, freeing up some ID's for mods not in the pack that you choose to play with.

I think if you could use the launcher to update/download the required files, but still create a similar installation to the old installer.jar then you'd have a perfect being.

i agree :)

• Forum Administrators

"If you guys could double your effort to satisfy a tiny fraction of the community that would be great"

We aren't about to bend over backwards and double the workload on ourselves (and keep the old way of having an out-dated pack with out-dated mods) out in the wild. I'm sorry you don't like the new launcher but you better learn to live with it because this is how it is going to be from here on out.

We will no longer use the old installer. Ever. It has been retired and you have to convince all of us on the team to go back to it. Which is impossible

I do like the new installer. I'm saying the function to select which mods you use in your game is something you should have kept. for instance, CI + inventory tweaks seems a little redundant so, in the old version, I just wouldn't install it. In the launcher version I have to open up the CI.txt and comment out all the key lines. That's just an example as it's not really a complicated task nor does it interfere with block ID's.

possible method of doing this (from user perspective)

1) open launcher

2) enter username/password

3) click the choose minor mods button (major being the core like IC2, BC, EE, RP, whatever)

4) users put a check next to the wanted mod

5) click get files (an update/get files button before logging in would be nice since modloader.cfg seems to be reset every time)

This will save some disk space which is important for portable players, save you some bandwidth, and free up some block ID's for people to customize their technic pack experience. I personally like multipage chests (1 ID) for my giant quarries. This guy is trying to get metalurgy to work so I'm sure he'd like the option to free up a few ID's. Power converters would be cool if it would work with BC 3.x.

This would also make it a bit easier to update the mods individually (depending on what your backend is like as I have no idea) like the IC2 nuclear reactor crashing problem from 5.0.5. one more version and it would have been fixed.

I'm mentioning this not to complain about the work that's been put in, but to offer a suggestion for a future update so it doesn't feel like I have to play technic this way. In my mind, it goes against the idea of modding in the first place.

tl;dr : I like the launcher and the update method. I miss the freedom of choice from the jar launcher.

btw: everyone should play the void map. it's kind of awesome.

The mod button on the launcher does allow you to turn off mods, so if you want to free up blocks it is great. NEI and the mod loader.txt file will allow to work out the conflicts and turn off or change the mods as necessary. The mods that are not optional don't conflict any block ids so they hardly matter unless you have key binding prolems