How to make a tekkit lite server(never did this til now)

Legion112

About a week ago, I had the same problem. We used to have hamachi.. to only play with a small group of friends (2-4). But that got really slow (laggy). So I've decided to find a free one, but there's none (maybe I suck @ using "google"). Anyways, to make story short... I ended up paying for a 8 slot server for 6 bucks. It's worth it, no lag like when we used hamachi. I didn't think the configuration was that simply and easy to use.

Unfortunately, there aren't any free hosting servers out there. People have to make money thru servers. Giving it away for free will not gain them any money. Because hosting eats a lot of resources i.e.g net traffic, power supply etc. If you and your friends share the same network.. use the LAN option.

No. You don't need to use Hamachi. Please don't use Hamachi. Every time somebody uses Hamachi for a Minecraft server, a puppy dies.

Google it, seriously. There are hundreds of guides for setting up a minecraft server, and thousands on how to port forward.

Unfortunately, there aren't any free hosting servers out there. People have to make money thru servers. Giving it away for free will not gain them any money. Because hosting eats a lot of resources i.e.g net traffic, power supply etc. If you and your friends share the same network.. use the LAN option.

use the lan option? How can i do that ?

I am not sure why nobody will give you a straight answer - it's a simple enough question.

1. Download the server http://mirror.technicpack.net/Technic/servers/tekkitlite/Tekkit_Lite_Server_0.5.7.zip
  2. Extract in to a directory and take a look at server.properties (open with notepad, notepad++ etc.) The only option you will probably want to mess with here is the server name, world name, white list etc. (if you enable white list you will need to add the player names to the whitelist file that will get created).
  3. Run launch.bat and let it generate the world etc. at this point the server is up and running.
  4. If you are running on the same machine as your MC client then launch MC and select Multiplayer and just connect to localhost (you don't need to add the port unless you have changed from the default).

If your friend is in the same house/dorm/school etc. then he will need your internalIP address. To get that just open a command prompt and type ipconfig and get the IPv4 address (typically unless you have changed the default it will be 192.168.1.???).

If your friend is not on the same network you will need to do what's called port forwarding on your router. This will vary depending on the router you have. Take a look at http://portforward.com/routers.htm for your router and follow the guide. Essentially what you are doing is opening the Tekkit Lite server port on the router and forwarding it to your internal IP address. Your friend will need to connect to your public IP address, which will be dynamic unless you are paying for business internet or your ISP has provided a static so be warned that it could and probably will change in the future. However just head to http://www.whatismyip.com to get your public address. Give that to your friend and as long as you have everything setup correctly he should be able to connect.

You may need to add an exception to your firewall to. This is all assuming you are running on a windows platform.

One thing to note though, unless you have a pretty decent computer running the server and client on the same machine will eventually cause lag etc. but it's a free solution so you can probably live with it. I run both on my machine (4 GB for the server, 8GB assigned to the MC client) and it runs pretty well with hardly any lag.

Hope that helps.

the only proble d3 i that i cant afford a server :thats why i wanna use hamachi!

You don't need a server! Hamachi doesn't magically make minecraft servers appear out of thin air, it's still running on your computer. It's just a way of connecting to it. A very terrible way.

TehGrumpyGamer: The reason I won't give him a straight answer is because I don't like helping people who have no clue what they're doing and expect us to do all the thinking for them. If he doesn't know what he's doing, he'll be back in 5 seconds with some new problem that he'll want help with. When he should just be using google and helping himself.

5 seconds of googling produced this gem:

There are plenty more where that came from. How long did it take to get an answer here? A lot longer than 5 seconds.

• 1 month later...

It is really easy to make one, If you want I could walk you through it on skype...just need you to add me 'redvenom557', Don't use hamachi because the servers are very unreliable and I find it harder to set up one via hamachi anyway

• 2 months later...

You don't need a server! Hamachi doesn't magically make minecraft servers appear out of thin air, it's still running on your computer. It's just a way of connecting to it. A very terrible way.

TehGrumpyGamer: The reason I won't give him a straight answer is because I don't like helping people who have no clue what they're doing and expect us to do all the thinking for them. If he doesn't know what he's doing, he'll be back in 5 seconds with some new problem that he'll want help with. When he should just be using google and helping himself.

5 seconds of googling produced this gem:

There are plenty more where that came from. How long did it take to get an answer here? A lot longer than 5 seconds.

D3Matt, that video was created to help people! Just like the FOURMS! And how would he find out without hours of trying for himself? Humans were made to exchange information and HELP each other out! And who do you think made Google? Some un-social lazy 3 year old not knowing anything? NO! PEOPLE DID! Start being kind to others and help one another out or life's going to not be helping you!

D3Matt, that video was created to help people! Just like the FOURMS! And how would he find out without hours of trying for himself? Humans were made to exchange information and HELP each other out! And who do you think made Google? Some un-social lazy 3 year old not knowing anything? NO! PEOPLE DID! Start being kind to others and help one another out or life's going to not be helping you!

lolwut? First of all, that post is 3 months old. Second of all, your logic is horribly flawed. The help is already out there, so why go ask people to make new help personally? If he tries it using information he found online and can't get it, I'd be happy to help. But I won't help somebody who doesn't put in effort to help themselves.