Mod permissions

ndm250

How is Technic Platform going to handle modpacks that contain mods which their owners didn't give proper permissions?

I can see this site upsetting a lot of modders.

I'll stand from a distance and see what happens for a few days before I try and post any packs.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Q. Do I need permissions from the mod authors?

Retrieving permissions from the mod authors is your responsibility. We can't screen every single pack that enters the system and make sure it has proper permissions. We provide a location in your modpack for you to enter in details about your permissions & licensing.

Q. Do I need permissions from the mod authors?

Retrieving permissions from the mod authors is your responsibility. We can't screen every single pack that enters the system and make sure it has proper permissions. We provide a location in your modpack for you to enter in details about your permissions & licensing.

I already see modpacks that probably don't have permission. Can modders request takedowns?

• Forum Administrators

No. But say if I did have mods being used on the Platform where I explicitly said it can't be used, what happens then?

You wouldn't have mods on the platform. No one does. The platform doesn't host any mods at all.

You wouldn't have mods on the platform. No one does. The platform doesn't host any mods at all.

The Platform still promotes the packs that contain "my" mod. Doesn't matter if it's hosted personally or by the site.

it's less "promotes" and more "lists", but either way... so what?

Prior to the Technic Platform, public modpack builders (ie FTB) would ask permission from the respected mod developers and that would determine whether it would be entered as part of the pack. Why would that same principle not apply to these packs?

Prior to the Technic Platform, public modpack builders (ie FTB) would ask permission from the respected mod developers and that would determine whether it would be entered as part of the pack. Why would that same principle not apply to these packs?

Because it's not our job to be permission police and it never will.

Freakachu even said that right up there.

basically, we aren't the permissions police and never will be. the pack creators are responsible for obtaining them.

^evidence

prior to the technic platform, DNS pack, plus* packs, and a dozen other public packs didn't exist?

no. only FTB is interested in being the permissions police. it's not on the technic team to sift through every pack ever to verify permissions. that is the pack creators job, and it has always been so. I also like how you only include the "respected" mod developers as being worth asking about permissions. you're a funny guy.

edit: to be honest I hope that every single one of the packs that gets made asks every author for permissions. every. last. one. "be careful what you wish for" is an important lesson to learn.

The Platform still promotes the packs that contain "my" mod. Doesn't matter if it's hosted personally or by the site.

Platform is just an index. You could stuff anything into a zip and tell platform it's a modpack. YOU still need to host it. It's akin to the torrent argument. Does it get used for piracy? undoubtedly. Are there plenty of legitimate uses for it? Also, undoubtedly.

Are some people going to misuse it? Of course. Almost everything that's useful gets misused, but that isn't an indictment of the thing itself. As you can tell by the list of modpacks that have already sprung up, there's no reasonable way to police all the new packs even if we wanted to.

The process would also be the same as for torrents. If you want to complain, you complain first to the people hosting the file, and if that doesn't work, you complain to their hosting service, who makes the decision about whether your complaints are valid enough to intervene with with their clients files. An open index is not responsible for all of the content listed on its index.

Dear ndm,

You're talking to the same group that made a massively public modpack (tekkit) without permission from the respected mod developers. Of course they're not going to care.

They're just offering a service that makes it convenient to make a custom mod pack and send it to people for easy access. It will also allow for hundreds of mod developers to be pissed off that these bros are essentially promoting the usage of mods without permission by making it so easy. THE TRUTH HURTS DOESN'T IT?

Dear ndm,

You're talking to the same group that made a massively public modpack (tekkit) without permission from the respected mod developers. Of course they're not going to care.

all the official technic packs (tekkit, voltz, hack/mine, technic) have complete permissions. you can even ask slowpoke if you don't believe me.

Dear ndm,

They're just offering a service that makes it convenient to make a custom mod pack and send it to people for easy access. It will also allow for hundreds of mod developers to be pissed off that these bros are essentially promoting the usage of mods without permission by making it so easy. THE TRUTH HURTS DOESN'T IT?

Let me add to the truth. Remember the Forestry incident? Your site will burn just like the worlds did in your launcher.

Dear ndm,

Oh go be butthurt at microsoft, google, mozilla, apple, and whoever makes Opera. By your argument they're promoting actual monetary-relevant copyright infringement by making webpages so easy to view.

Dear Hiddenyak,

You're talking to the same group that made sure they had your precious permissions for all new modpacks, from a ways back to date and in the future. So, they care, to the extent that it's possible to control it. Beyond that, no one could possibly care, so they won't.

See this:

If you want to complain, you complain first to the people hosting the file, and if that doesn't work, you complain to their hosting service, who makes the decision about whether your complaints are valid enough to intervene with with their clients files.

If you want to complain, you complain first to the people hosting the file, and if that doesn't work, you complain to their hosting service, who makes the decision about whether your complaints are valid enough to intervene with with their clients files. An open index is not responsible for all of the content listed on its index.

You're not just indexing already created packs. You're promoting the use/ creation of custom public packs.

Google indexes sites and you can request the search engine not to do so. So in a way an index is responsible for the content.

Dear ndm,

we aren't promoting anything. It's an index. Saying that we promote these packs is like saying that google promotes the piratebay, because the piratebay is indexed by google.

If mod developers want to be pissed off about permissions, technic is not the direction they should be shouting. Find out where the pack that's breaking your permissions is, and shout at the people who are doing it.

You're not just indexing already created packs. You're promoting the use/ creation of custom public packs.

Google indexes sites and you can request the search engine not to do so. So in a way an index is responsible for the content.

News flash: People have been creating packs, and wanting to create packs, ever since modding minecraft became a thing. All we did was make the tools for ANYONE to publish a pack, and leave the permissions policing where it belongs.

Let me make this absolutely clear:

All platform does is tell the launcher where to download a pack from, and how to put it together with minecraft. Modmakers may have absolutely legitimate claims, and those claims should absolutely be brought to the people who those claims are against. We aren't hosting anything for anyone. We aren't telling people to go make packs without permissions.

Let me add to the truth. Remember the Forestry incident? Your site will burn just like the worlds did in your launcher.

ah, this was what you were trying to say from the start. that is what I figured.

there is a very, VERY large difference between exploding bees, and bringing down a website like the technic platform. there will be no flames, only tons of people having fun with minecraft the way they want to. terrible, right?

edit: permissions are not our responsibility to enforce. so yes, basically we don't give a shit. it's encouraged but not required.