Technic Platform should be sued by Mojang

blazedGinger

With the custom modpack system people can easily download a copy of Minecraft. The link you get from the modpack to paste in the launcher to add it, open that link in your browser - now look for a download link and you can get Minecraft singleplayer totally free!

Mojang should sue Technic Platform.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the custom modpack system people can easily download a copy of Minecraft. The link you get from the modpack to paste in the launcher to add it, open that link in your browser - now look for a download link and you can get Minecraft singleplayer totally free!

Mojang should sue Technic Platform.

Oh dear Lord no! They can download a copy of Minecraft that they can't use unless they actually log in to the Minecraft.net servers and use their legitimate Minecraft account?! Whatever shall we do?!

Seriously, what? They're not distributing hacked versions of Minecraft. And anyways, the responsibility lies in the modpack-maker, not the Platform. In fact, Platform doesn't even host the modpacks! It just lists them.

Get your facts straight before trying to whine about something you clearly don't understand.

I was thinking this was exactly this, but I wasn't sure and not in a place to test it.

Better safe than sorry is my excuse.

The worst you can be is wrong, in which case someone points it out, you learn, and the story ends.

Edit: I also love how this guy feels that Platform should be sued and destroyed by Mojang because it's evil and illegal and the Technic Dev Team hurt his feelings or something, then he immediately wants help here: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/error-parsing-platform-resonse.40276/

blazedGinger: heh. Those download links give you everything you need to play modded Minecraft... except one thing. Minecraft itself. The launcher downloads that separately, after it's sure you have a premium account.

My modpack contains a whole Minecraft directory that you just can put into your Minecraft folder. And Im sure many others modpacks does too. So what if the launcher downloads those file seperately, you can still get a copy of Minecraft using the link you get from Technic Platform. Well you cant have clean Minecraft, but it still against Minecrafts policies. I cant see Technic Platform do anything about those modpacks that does contain whole Minecraft directories.

My modpack contains a whole Minecraft directory that you just can put into your Minecraft folder. And Im sure many others modpacks does too. So what if the launcher downloads those file seperately, you can still get a copy of Minecraft using the link you get from Technic Platform. Well you cant have clean Minecraft, but it still against Minecrafts policies. I cant see Technic Platform do anything about those modpacks that does contain whole Minecraft directories.

It's not the Technic Team's responsibility. At all. And it never will be. If a modpack seems dubious to you and doesn't have permissions or uses stuff 'illegally' (A term I use ironically), don't use it. It's up to your judgement what you use and what you make, not the team of Admins and Moderators.

To quote what I've heard before: "We aren't about to start policing the internet."

Oh dear Lord no! They can download a copy of Minecraft that they can't use unless they actually log in to the Minecraft.net servers and use their legitimate Minecraft account?! Whatever shall we do?!

Seriously, what? They're not distributing hacked versions of Minecraft. And anyways, the responsibility lies in the modpack-maker, not the Platform. In fact, Platform doesn't even host the modpacks! It just lists them.

Get your facts straight before trying to whine about something you clearly don't understand.

This was started as a serious topic, and you just made it into something else.

First read Minecrafts Terms of Use: http://minecraft.net/terms

Now in your first paragraph you said that they have to use their Minecraft account to use the copy. No thats not true, you can add the pack directly into your Minecraft directory and hit "Play Offline" when your login doesn't get accepted.

The platform is actually responsible for every law their users are breaking. Yes it is just a list, but its a list their users has created. As far as I can see the platform hasn't done anything about the modpacks that does contain whole directories of Minecraft.

These facts are very straight and you should start investigating before you get up with something thats truly not true.

Then you're making your modpack incorrectly and it is in fact you who should be sued by Mojang. The Platform doesn't host the files, nor distribute them. It's your responsibility.

It's not the Technic Team's responsibility. At all. And it never will be. If a modpack seems dubious to you and doesn't have permissions or uses stuff 'illegally' (A term I use ironically), don't use it. It's up to your judgement what you use and what you make, not the team of Admins and Moderators.

To quote what I've heard before: "We aren't about to start policing the internet."

Of course it it the Technic Teams resposibility. They are listing free Minecraft copies, they are responsible for their users (aka. you and me, when we are on their website) and we are giving out free Minecraft copies.

So you're claiming the platform should be sued and shutdown because you are offering a download that contains illegally obtained minecraft files and the platform is indexing your download on your request?

So basically: "They should be punished because I'm doing something bad!"

They're listing the modpack at your behalf.

The modpack YOU are hosting.

The files YOU are distributing.

If Technic gets a take-down request, all they have to do is trace it back to you and hand your name and IP over to Mojang.

And many lulz were had.

Then you're making your modpack incorrectly and it is in fact you who should be sued by Mojang. The Platform doesn't host the files, nor distribute them. It's your responsibility.

I know I am making it wrong, but no one stops me. As Ive told all the rest of the people that fails about "Its not the Technic Teams responsibility", it is their responsibility. We are users on their website, and they are responsible for their users and what they do. Minecraftforums.net doesnt allow hundred of different things and they moderate everything, why they are moderating it is to keep the forums clean and to watch their responsibility.

They're listing the modpack at your behalf.

The modpack YOU are hosting.

The files YOU are distributing.

If Technic gets a take-down request, all they have to do is trace it back to you and hand your name and IP over to Mojang.

And many lulz were had.

Well, go browse the modpacks. Download each single modpack the way I told you could download a copy of Minecraft. How many copies do you get? Lets say there are 400 modpacks listed on the platform, I think you would get 300. Because I was not aware of that people could get the Minecraft directory when I uploaded it, no one told me how to make a modpack properly when I uploaded and listed my modpack - of course I've fixed it now as I found out. And 299 other people didnt either knew how to make a modpack properly. So they would trace it back to over 300 different people, do you think Mojang would sue the 300 different people or the Technic Team? And could Technic Team sue over the 300 different people for doing someting they didnt knew was illegal?

Google isnt responsible of their search results, because they are search results not users.

I know I am making it wrong, but no one stops me. As Ive told all the rest of the people that fails about "Its not the Technic Teams responsibility", it is their responsibility. We are users on their website, and they are responsible for their users and what they do. Minecraftforums.net doesnt allow hundred of different things and they moderate everything, why they are moderating it is to keep the forums clean and to watch their responsibility.

The MCF, clean...

Anyway, you're wrong, get over it.

I love how you're ignoring that YOU are (or having a third party) hosting illegal files and distributing them.

Not Technic. Not on Platform.

YOU are.

Ive told I fixed it as soon as I found out. I do admit I did hosted illegal files, but 299 others does at this very moment from this platform.

Let's get to the point here. People are posting the Minecraft.jars. What do you expect anyone to do about it? Telling people it's wrong might cut it down a bit, and hopefully this will be made clear in tutorials soon to come, but the Technic team can't check every single modpack which gets uploaded to the platform.