Can I use the new launcher without going through Platform?

tehdrack

If you have a simple answer, you do not need to read further.

I've been attempting to assemble my mod pack all week, and today, of all days, is when when I have had the most free time. I've been frustrated that I cannot test my mod pack while TechnicPack gets Platform fixed due to the fact the pack cannot load if the launcher cannot contact or understand Platform.

The TechnicPack website works just fine, except when I try to click on my modpack specifically, which returns with a "504 Gateway Time-out" page. I'll edit in a link to my pack on Platform here should anyone want to test for themselves.

I am most disappointed that TechnicPack implemented this feature in the first place. Perhaps someone might enlighten me as to why TechnicPack needs to be in between my mod pack and me. Is it data collection? Is it to control what people use the Technic Launcher for? In any case, this should be reconsidered--It's very Apple-like.

If I must wait for Platform to work again, so be it, but I cannot even launch my already-downloaded pack. I'd be most pleased if there was a non-Platform to proceed.

EDIT: I've discovered issues with your private Solder server might cause the Platform page for your pack to malfunction.

• Forum Administrators

I don't, what? It's completely optional for you to use any 'services' that we may provide.

If you don't want to use the Platform, then don't. If you don't like how our launcher works, fork it yourself and do with it what you want, it's completely open source. All Platform does is give a 'platform' (see what I did there) for people to show off content. You are more than welcome to distribute your modpack in any way you want.

We don't want nor need your 'data' nor do I make a good Steve Jobs. We might both have shaved heads, but I don't trust homeopathy like some billionaire scrub. :smug:

I do apologize for the downtime today, but Platform is far more popular far more quickly than any of us could have imagined, and the first Saturday it was open hit pretty hard.

EDIT

FU ICEWOLF :argh:

Although I'm pleased to hear answers from you guys specifically, that kind of hit hard.

Thank you for letting me know, perhaps not very directly, that I'd need to rewrite the launcher in order to not use the existing Platform system. When I compare the stress of relying on Platform with the stress of rewriting the launcher, it is very obvious that patience is the easier route. If I didn't like Platform and what it meant, I wouldn't be using it. I've been very pleased with all of the work that has been put into this project, as it makes it easier to enjoy the game with friends.

I was clear about my question and my frustrations weren't irrational. If anything, I'm partly glad I was able to grab a tiny bit of attention, as was my intent. Criticism can be applied to free things as much as paid things, and comments on a new service/system shouldn't be so readily shot down. I'll set this conversation aside, though, as it obviously stirred up emotions.

Again, thanks for all of the hard work.

Keeping an entire server of players up to date with the pack authors version is just one of the reasons we do it the way we do with platform links. There are several others. The problems we've experienced so far have mostly been due to the sheer stress of immense popularity hitting our new services, and how fresh on the market they are. Platform has only been out for a few days and already has thousands of packs and tens of thousands of users. Obviously with that kind of sudden use right after launch it will be understandably bumpy with the odd bug to sort out.

Knee jerk statements like this...

Perhaps someone might enlighten me as to why TechnicPack needs to be in between my mod pack and me. Is it data collection? Is it to control what people use the Technic Launcher for? In any case, this should be reconsidered--It's very Apple-like.

...show us that you don't actually understand what you are talking about, you are just grasping for attention (as you said) and being unreasonable without any real purpose. It's one thing to offer criticism, and a completely other thing to assume something is negative and then wildly speculate as to why. Criticism is "I understand how this works but I feel it would be improved by doing it this way." not "I don't understand how this works, but I think it's bad for some reason and I'm going to just randomly assume why while offering no actual usable suggestions."

Perhaps you can understand why we don't appreciate this kind of feedback, and why you haven't been taken seriously.

I understand, and I will adjust how I communicate.

Thanks for looking past my admittedly rude introduction and coming to resolution. As you pointed out, I don't understand what I'm talking about, and this is mostly why I began the thread. My question is answered, and I'll either wait to hear it from you guys as to why Platform was implemented in the launcher the way it was, or puzzle it together on my own in time.