Increasing available memory on 32bit

Jalapeno777

Some of my users have 32bit systems however we have a pretty sizable modpack. The "Increase PermGen size" checkbox certainly does help but the 32 bit users are restricted to a maximum heap memory size of 1GB which is barely workable for us and will eventually cause most to crash after a short time of game play.

Is there an option somewhere in the launcher that will allow a 32 bit user to allocate more than the 1GB memory to the game? Ideally somewhere in the realm of at least 2-2.5GB which should be doable for any 32 bit user with 4GB memory provided they manage what else is running.

That's weird. I guess due to technical limitations, since the command line parameter for heap size supports 1G and 2G and 4G and so on, but not 1,5G. It's 1536M, so maybe it was just too difficult to cram into the new launcher on such short notice.

So why do you want to allocate more than 1 GB anyway? Unless you're going to run a LAN Server, 1 GB is usually enough. Are you running into any actual problems, or do you want to increase the size just because?

The server doesn't need more memory, the client side does due to the sheer number of mods involved. 1GB does cover it but if people move between highly developed areas too quickly the garbage collection doesn't handle it in time and they crash due to running out of available memory.

It should allow up to 1,5 GB on 32-bit operating systems. 1,5 GB is basically the limit. Any higher will simply not work due to 32-bit restrictions.

The final option might be getting knocked off, I'm sure 64bit was capped at 8 Gb not 7

Why would you ever need 7 GB? In the most extreme cases, you'll only need about 2 GB. Adding more just slows Minecraft down.

And actually, the limit for 64-bit operating systems is A LOT higher than 8 GB. As in, I'm pretty sure 1 TB(!) of RAM isn't even close to the limit.

Why would you ever need 7 GB? In the most extreme cases, you'll only need about 2 GB. Adding more just slows Minecraft down.

And actually, the limit for 64-bit operating systems is A LOT higher than 8 GB. As in, I'm pretty sure 1 TB(!) of RAM isn't even close to the limit.

Windows 7 Limits, by Version

• Starter: 8GB
  • Home Basic: 8GB
  • Home Premium: 16GB < I'm here
  • Professional: 192GB
  • Enterprise: 192GB
  • Ultimate: 192GB

The 64 bit architecture itself can support up to 16 EB (Giga < Terra < Peta < Exa) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exabyte

/geekmoment

That aside, I do not intent to boost up to 7 Gb or higher, like I said in my last post

The final option might be getting knocked off

Just pointing out a remotely possible technical flaw as to why Jalapeno777's friends here might not be able to see the 1.5 option

One of the sad truths is that Minecraft is so unoptimized and buggy that 32 bit systems can barely play it. 2GB is the most I would ever tell people to allocate (due to Minecraft not being able to handle allocating lots of ram because of not being able to handle garbage data collection dumps). Even with that, on 32 bit it will run like garbage with stuttering and crashes. I'll ask about a 1.5 option but I don't know how much it will help honestly. Maybe it might make crashes less frequent.

unless you're playing with a boatload of terribly coded mods or using a fucking huge texturepack, 1GB should be enough now that the permgen option is available. seriously. if it's the texturepack thing, get a different one or a lower resolution one. minecraft's rendering engine was never made with ridiculously huge texture maps in mind, which is why they fuck it up so hard. there was a really great post by the guy who made optifine a long time ago about minecraft's memory usage. in it, he details just how much memory the game actually uses at any given time. hint: it's <500Mb. you should look it up. more memory can be assigned because java. if you're running into performance issues, using the default texture pack, and have a 32bit CPU, RAM is probably not the issue. if you're getting "out of memory" errors on a 32bit CPU, the most likely cause is actually allocating too much memory, again because java.

basically, if you don't understand what a java virtual machine is, or what "garbage collection" means in terms of computer programming, don't fuck with your memory allocation.