Other Games?

Jay?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, let's see...

Besides Technic, I basically only play a lot of Pokemon/other Nintendo games on my PC emulator and i've been trying to beat Imperishable Night (a game in the Touhou Project series) recently, so freaking hard!

Have you checked out firere:Omega, or Volt White, by drayano?

They're pretty much the best pokemon experience for the PC, except possibly that online pokemon world thing that i STILL haven't managed to sign up for.

They're pretty much the best pokemon experience for the PC, except possibly that online pokemon world thing that i STILL haven't managed to sign up for.

I think PWO sign up is a game itself... do i have to sign up within 3 hours of the 5 hour send out, is the whole process a lottery, did that pure random number generator that requires you solve a math problem give birth to their registration, why do I even want to join this, and how the hell was signing up for an old MUCK easier then this?

I need to start using emulators again... i also need a decent controller so i can play games that need analog input (percussion aiming with arrow keys is an arse, turn down sensitivity and I can aim but move like a snail, turn it up and i can move but AIM like i'm on crack). Also might need to get back into the abandonware scene (since that is a legal grey area that is all I will say about that).

I think PWO sign up is a game itself... do i have to sign up within 3 hours of the 5 hour send out, is the whole process a lottery, did that pure random number generator that requires you solve a math problem give birth to their registration, why do I even want to join this, and how the hell was signing up for an old MUCK easier then this?

I need to start using emulators again... i also need a decent controller so i can play games that need analog input (percussion aiming with arrow keys is an arse, turn down sensitivity and I can aim but move like a snail, turn it up and i can move but AIM like i'm on crack). Also might need to get back into the abandonware scene (since that is a legal grey area that is all I will say about that).

Logitech makes an incredibly cheap dualanalog controller that i'm satisfied with. It's literally like 10 bucks.

Logitech makes an incredibly cheap dualanalog controller that i'm satisfied with. It's literally like 10 bucks.

Oh I will have to look into that. Last controller I got required the game port that used to be on computers. 10 bucks is quite cheap. Plus I own enough games to be able to legally play a good portion of the offerings for most systems.

I'll go check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh I will have to look into that. Last controller I got required the game port that used to be on computers. 10 bucks is quite cheap. Plus I own enough games to be able to legally play a good portion of the offerings for most systems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826127204#top

This is what i was talking about. It looks discontinued, but they're durable as all hell, (i've had mine for five years, and it's still my go to when emulating) and was apparently popular enough that goodwill often has them in stock.

I'll go check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

You'll need a working DS emulator for Volt White, but it has every. single. pokemon. ever.

You'll need a working DS emulator for Volt White, but it has every. single. pokemon. ever.

Okay, how would I install the mod once I have the DS emulator and the Pokemon White ROM?

Edit: By the way, has anyone played/heard of the Touhou Project? Cookie if you've beaten one of the games. :D

Okay, how would I install the mod once I have the DS emulator and the Pokemon White ROM?

I believe he still distributes his mods in the form of .ips patches. You'll need a working North American ROM of the original game involved. I'll leave that up to you.

Lunar IPS is a good program for applying the patches.

If that doesn't work, his pages usually have more detailed instructions on them

I believe he still distributes his mods in the form of .ips patches. You'll need a working North American ROM of the original game involved. I'll leave that up to you.

Lunar IPS is a good program for applying the patches.

If that doesn't work, his pages usually have more detailed instructions on them

Okay thanks, I'll try it when I get back from vacation (getting sunburnt in Puerto Rico, woot). Also, I just tried to get a regestration key from the Pokemon World Online thing, hoping to find a key in my inbox soon (hopes that bad luck will go away).

Okay thanks, I'll try it when I get back from vacation (getting sunburnt in Puerto Rico, woot). Also, I just tried to get a regestration key from the Pokemon World Online thing, hoping to find a key in my inbox soon (hopes that bad luck will go away).

Let me know what address they send from if you get one... this is BLEEPING ridiculous.

As for the pokemon rom, remember you must own a physical copy or uninstall the game within 24 hours after downloading... legal blah blah blah. Watch out for nasty stuff on your hunt for it.

Let me know what address they send from if you get one... this is BLEEPING ridiculous.

As for the pokemon rom, remember you must own a physical copy or uninstall the game within 24 hours after downloading... legal blah blah blah. Watch out for nasty stuff on your hunt for it.

I got one from

bluerise

[at]

iblamelee

[dot]

co

[dot]

uk

They say they ignore that address though.

Haha, I'll let you know. And what about the legal stuff? Would it be pirating if I didn't own/buy a physical copy? Could you elaborate on that?

Haha, I'll let you know. And what about the legal stuff? Would it be pirating if I didn't own/buy a physical copy? Could you elaborate on that?

Technically yes. Also I am not sure about that grace period thing, that might have just been a site saying that. Roms for which you do not own the original copy of are considered illegal (in some cases even with a physical copy they might be illegal, i don't know, not a lawyer). If you can not buy the game (import restrictions, the game is super rare) consider buying something the developer can sell to you. If you dabble in the legal grey you are on your own (no one knows if it is legal or not like BS Zelda, since there is no way to ever own a physical copy of that).

Those are not rule or legal advice, just suggestions from what i have picked up in my time on the internet.

Okay, here's the low down, guy. Roms are illegal if you don't own the original game, and in some cases the act of downloading it is illegal even if you have an original copy.

Technic has a pretty clear policy about piracy "We don't care, just don't talk about it here."

Just remember the golden rule of the internet. "Google has the answer."

-snip-

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to see if I could buy a copy of Pokemon Black off my neighbor (apparently its too embarrassing for my dad to let me buy a Pokemon game at 15, lol). If I can't, I'll download the ROM and stray on the side of danger (I was an avid Pokemon fan back in the day, so I forked over plenty of money anyway...).

Edit: Sorry Jay, I'll stop talking about it. Considering I've never pirated anything (well, I've torrented a English fan-patched Touhou game, because they only come in Japanese) yet, I won't feel that morally guilty. :P

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to see if I could buy a copy of Pokemon Black off my neighbor (apparently its too embarrassing for my dad to let me buy a Pokemon game at 15, lol). If I can't, I'll download the ROM and stray on the side of danger (I was an avid Pokemon fan back in the day, so I forked over plenty of money anyway...).

I would snip that last bit about the rom... just in case.

Edit: Sorry Jay, I'll stop talking about it. Considering I've never pirated anything (well, I've torrented a English fan-patched Touhou game, because they only come in Japanese) yet, I won't feel that morally guilty. :P

Talking about pirate material is a violation of the forum rules.

as far as the legality of ROMS, you are allowed to download it for 24 hours unless you own the actual cartridge/CD in which case it is not illegal to have a digital backup.

Talking about pirate material is a violation of the forum rules.

as far as the legality of ROMS, you are allowed to download it for 24 hours unless you own the actual cartridge/CD in which case it is not illegal to have a digital backup.

Except a handful of states and countries where the act of downloading the content from a non-approved source is illegal. In those cases the only legal way to obtain a rom is to have the cables and software to dump the memory yourself.

Except a handful of states and countries where the act of downloading the content from a non-approved source is illegal. In those cases the only legal way to obtain a rom is to have the cables and software to dump the memory yourself.

yes. but if you're in one of those few countries you probably know about it.

yes. but if you're in one of those few countries you probably know about it.

Not necessarily. It's not like these laws are advertised, and if someone hasn't been part of the emulating community before, they probably won't be familiar with the dangers and pitfalls.