Luke’s (Hopefully) comprehensive modpack making guide.

lukeb28

Luke, I'm unfortunately still a little lost on this whole thing. I'm building from scratch and would prefer to keep dependencies down to a minimum. I'm stuck at the part where I've downloaded the mod(s) I would like to add and placed them in the bin folder.

You mention using a similar mod that runs the same version of mc and placing files there. Well, this is difficult as there are no 1.6.x modpacks, unless I am to rip open someone else' modpack.

I am a nitwit and this post is to be ignored. I fired up vanilla via launcher and am able to do everything.

I am a nitwit and this post is to be ignored. I fired up vanilla via launcher and am able to do everything.

A nitwit would be someone having a problem like that and not fixing it. You fixing it remedies that!

As for your post, what were you saying with "add and placed them in the bin folder". I'm a little curious to as what you mean by this.

Great thread. It's been a big help so far, but there is one problem i'm having. I've got my custom pack, and i need to do the Nei Item dump thing, but i can't get the Technic Launcher to launch my pack. I pasted it into the modpacks folder, but the launcher won't give it as an option. How can i launch my pack?

A nitwit would be someone having a problem like that and not fixing it. You fixing it remedies that!

As for your post, what were you saying with "add and placed them in the bin folder". I'm a little curious to as what you mean by this.

I was referring to placing the mod in the mods folder, not the bin folder.

Next question is the instructions say to extract the Universal install for Forge, then repack it into another jar. What is the purpose of taking the jar and repacking it when we've done nothing to the file?

*edit*

Also, is there a particular order one should install mods? For example NEI, Buildcraft, or Rei's before or after other mods.

There is no particular order you have to install mods. As long as Forge is installed, you can add any mod in any order, although good practice is to put the biggest mods with the most ID's in first, because it will make it easier to fix ID conflicts when you only have to change a few from a smaller mod. The only exception to this rule are library mods such as CodeChickenCore, which must be installed before any ChickenBones mods will run, however you can always stick CCC in at the same time as any CB mods.

As for repacking the file, Forge used to come in zip folders pre 1.6. You needed to repack the zip as a jar. Nowadays however, you could just rename the jar file 'modpack' and all would be fine. However however however, if you do need to modify any files inside the jar, such as version.json, then repacking would be best. I always repack purely because I then know exactly what is in that jar file and that it will work properly.

And another, where/how do I turn off items i dont want used in a pack?

If the mod is configurable in that way, in the configuration file that is automatically generated when the mod runs.

If the mod author did not include that sort of funcionality, your only other option afaik is a bukkit plugin.

If the mod is configurable in that way, in the configuration file that is automatically generated when the mod runs.

If the mod author did not include that sort of funcionality, your only other option afaik is a bukkit plugin.

Lovely. Also, about went insane trying to find out what was wrong with this one mod, Metallurgy 3. Apparently the latest version broke some of its textures and wanted to just have the server make them un-buildable.

Is there a support thread for pack making or is this it? The modpack we've made has some difficulties. Apparently forge is simply allowing ID conflicts and not telling us as we add more content. It only tells us if a dependency is missing. Only way we're finding out is if an item is missing or the wrong icon in NEI.

Fishing out item ID conflicts is a time honored modpack creation tradition that Mojang is callously putting a stop to in 1.7+

But yeah, forge will alert you with a warning in the log, but overwriting item IDs doesn't crash the game like doing it with block IDs will, so minecraft keeps chugging along.

This is why I use a local server install to setup modpacks. It's quicker and the log doesn't contain a bunch of entries for art assets so it's easier to search through.

As for location, the whole of platform pagoda is for custom modpack support.

Hello everyone! This thread is for all the hotshots who want to make their own modpack! There are many guides out there but I have found few that give you the needed files and folders to make this as easy as filling in the blanks. I will go over how to do these things yourself but if you have trouble with a particular thing, I will try and make that portion downloadable for your ease.

Lets get started now!

Some quick terminology:

Modpack: A modpack is a collection of 5 or more mods that is in a format easy to install. Why make a modpack? Modding your own client can be difficult and very troublesome for some people and this can be a great problem for modded servers. Modpacks allow for users to very easily install the same mods and configs the server has.

Forge Mod Loader: Forge Mod Loader (Commonly referred to as FML or just Forge) is the software that actually makes modding minecraft possible. Without it mods would be very difficult to install and to make.

Technic.net: It is the main webpage for technic but in this guide it is referred to the actual modpack page allowing you to make and distribute modpacks.

Archive: Archiving is compressing or zipping files and folders into smaller formats. Archiving is absolutely needed to make a modpack. Technic.net simply will not recognize anything else.

Table of contents

Making your modpack.jar

Fixing ID errors

How to host your modpack

Before giving up

Mac Guide

LiteLoader and Voxel mods

Optifine and preinstalled servers

Common errors and fixes plus FAQ

Software you need!

WinRar Archiver. This works very well and I have not had a single issue with this for the past 5 months.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

I trust this site but if you are uncomfortable with it then you may use any archiving program you wish. Just be aware that some steps will be different and I will not be able to help you with a program I do not know myself.

Windows OS. Yes it is slightly different for a Mac, no I do not know in what ways and how to compensate. I don’t own a Mac. If a Mac/Linux user know where things would be different, please say so and I will add those alterations to this post as I want this to be a universal guide.

If at any point somthing is changed due to user input, they will be mentioned by a

"-(username)"

and I hope you thank them for that step!

Hello,Is there something like a Musicmod for Hexxit. It's important

Luke, I did everything you said in your first post. Repacking FML as modpack.jar and placing it into the bin folder. Placing the mods into the mods folder and configs into the configs folder. Packing everything as a .zip with compression method "best". Uploaded it to my own server, not dropbox or something and pasted the link into the settings of my modpack but as soon as I'm trying to download it with the Technic Launcher it says "error unpacking zip file".

Do you know why?

*EDIT*

It seems like it stops at the modpack.jar. Do I have to include only FML or the minecraft.jar too?

I've downloaded Forge 9.11.1.953 for Minecraft 1.6.4. I copied all the files inside the forge.jar and placed it inside a folder called modpack. Then I created a new archive called modpack.jar and placed all the files from forge inside it. I've created two additional folders called mods and config and placed everything from my mods folder into the new mods folder and everything from my config in the new config folder. Then I created an .zip archive with compression method "best" and uploaded it to my server. I did everything the guide told me to.

~EDIT~

I just renamed the forge.jar into modpack.jar and now it works.

I'm far too nice. Download links for relevant versions of the modpack.jar below.

I've been trying to make a modpack for 1.6.4, and just downloading the latest forge universal (for 1.6.4 of course) and renaming it modpack.jar hasn't been working. So I used the 1.6.4 one listed here, and my modpack loads up and then tells me that "Forge minimum version required is 9.11.1.952" and then... it goes to the title screen with no problem. Until I close the game and launch it again, at which point it gets stuck on the "Minimum version required is..." screen. Obviously, one or more of my mods needs the newer Forge version. But just downloading the Forge universal file and renaming it isn't working, I have never seen the title screen with it. It'll just linger on the Mojang screen and then close back to the Technic launcher. What did you do to these that makes them work right? I followed the instructions over and over to make sure I got it right. Downloaded the Forge jar and renamed it, then made folders for my mods and configs, and ZIPed it, hosted it on dropbox, downloaded it via Technic... it's driving me crazy. How did you make these files? I'm not gonna ask you to make ones for the new version of Forge, I want to be able to do it myself.

I've been trying to make a modpack for 1.6.4, and just downloading the latest forge universal (for 1.6.4 of course) and renaming it modpack.jar hasn't been working. So I used the 1.6.4 one listed here, and my modpack loads up and then tells me that "Forge minimum version required is 9.11.1.952" and then... it goes to the title screen with no problem. Until I close the game and launch it again, at which point it gets stuck on the "Minimum version required is..." screen. Obviously, one or more of my mods needs the newer Forge version. But just downloading the Forge universal file and renaming it isn't working, I have never seen the title screen with it. It'll just linger on the Mojang screen and then close back to the Technic launcher. What did you do to these that makes them work right? I followed the instructions over and over to make sure I got it right. Downloaded the Forge jar and renamed it, then made folders for my mods and configs, and ZIPed it, hosted it on dropbox, downloaded it via Technic... it's driving me crazy. How did you make these files? I'm not gonna ask you to make ones for the new version of Forge, I want to be able to do it myself.

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/luke%E2%80%99s-hopefully-comprehensive-modpack-making-guide.44197/#post-362584

You cannot just rename it. It must be repacked.

I used the 1.6.4 premade modpack.jar you posted and now instead of it loading vanilla i get a unexpected error form the launcher.

here's the report

http://pastebin.com/index/1trw9SVt

i have a feeling i cant just drop this in my bin folder.

Are you sure thats the right error report? If so thats a launcher bug, not a pack bug.