Luke’s (Hopefully) comprehensive modpack making guide.

lukeb28

Thank you very much for this guide - as a complete newbie to this the FML section was extremely helpful (I would have tried to build a pack without it otherwise).

However, I have a few question I hope you can answer (I also hope this is the right place to ask).

1. What is Optifine and when is it used? I have heard that a lot of people like to use it but I don't know what it does. I can only assume (going by the name) that it optimises and fine tunes mods in order to work together properly something, but that still doesn't tell me if I need it or not.

Close but no quite. It optimizes your graphics and helps you to run at a much higher FPS which can be very helpful if you are running high RAM mods.

2. To clarify the section I have quoted below (pictures removed) - does this mean that, in essence, you are just turning the .zip into a .jar but because of the software you have to extract and then recompress the files? I assume it needs to be a .jar to work with Java or something?)

You are right about the re-compressing thing. Its just a necessary step. As for the re naming to .jar, it make it similar to a .exe in that instead of reading the files it runs them as code and this code is similar to installing FML.

4. Once created, do we add our modpack as a subfolder in the .technic folder? If we do then will this come up as an option in the list once the launcher has loaded? Or do we launch it another way? (If you explained this somewhere then I have missed it and I apologise)

You seem to have missed a section. You upload the modpack to a file host then link that host to the modpack section of technic.net. Just make an account and make a new modpack. Set it to the minecraft version you want and then edit is and paste the download URL into the file location. After that save the pack and go back to the modpack page. There should now be a link you copy and paste into the actual launcher.

Oops, my question 3 got lost somewhere. I do know how to count - honest

3. Could you explain the below in more detail please? I don't understand why we need to launch the other pack when we already created these folders in a previous step.

Next: The mods! (Images to come)

This can be a very long process so bear with me. The first thing we want to do is download a version of technic that supports the version of the pack we are making. If it was 1.2.5: you would download tekkit classic. 1.4.7: tekkit lite, Voltz, BigDig. 1.5.1: Tekkit (The newest version).

Launch the pack and exit out as soon as the main page loads. Now go into your .technic folder (If you don’t know where this is then please google it, thats too easy to need to explain here) and into the pack you just downloaded. If we’re making a 1.4.7 pack and grabbed tekkit lite then we would go into the sub folder marked tekkit lite and delete all the files in the mods, coremods, and config folders. You now have a blank modpack! From here we are going to add our mods into the mod folder there.

Thank you very much for answering my other questions - I just need to figure out which mods would class as high ram and I think I'll be able to make a start (perhaps with some help from my husband as he is much better with computers than I am). Hopefully it won't crash and burn.

3. Could you explain the below in more detail please? I don't understand why we need to launch the other pack when we already created these folders in a previous step.

It it not needed but makes trouble shooting problems far easier. By making the pack in a client first and testing it every time you make it so you know where the ID conflicts and other errors lie. This is purely for redundancy but I highly advise doing so as it can save you hours and headaches trying to find the one mod messing up your pack.

Oh I see! So it's a trial and error kind of idea? Add the mods one at a time and if it doesn't work then the most recent one caused a problem?

Exactly! Its slow but it really is faster in the long run :D

Edit: Kinda like my motto: Try, Fail, Learn, Repeat.

No there is no installer. You shouldn't need one anyways seeing as your not installing it to your client. As for forge, in that case use the client for distributing the modpack and use the server if you plan on making a server of it.

No there is no installer. You shouldn't need one anyways seeing as your not installing it to your client. As for forge, in that case use the client for distributing the modpack and use the server if you plan on making a server of it.
And what about this other thing, how it just gives me an installer for something that isn't Forge??? Sorry for editing the post. I'm a n00b.

Here is the direct link I use that lists their releases, I think you can get to it via link on the main site too though.

http://files.minecraftforge.net

You have to be careful where you get your mods and files from. There are some "minecraft mod" sites out there and just by looking at them I can tell you they are a bit iffy/suspicious.

Also if you want a listing of mods in one place I suggest this link below, it isn't complete but it covers a lot of mods.

http://modlist.mcf.li/list/1.4/1.4.6_1.4.7.php(You can select the MC version you're using by the way.)

Please give me more information than that. Saying the dark wizard of Gandalf cast a bad spell doesn't help with diagnosing your problem. For all I know your computer is just infested with ducks and you need to call the good wizard of duck extermination. I just don't know without more info.