Luke’s (Hopefully) comprehensive modpack making guide.

lukeb28

Hi I would like to ask about adding mods that need to be in minecraft.jar, I understand that you add the necessary files into mudpack.jar but when I run the pack the mods don't show up or run.

Also when I add in mystcraft in the mods folder it stops it from loading up.

I would be grateful for any help concerning these things

That would be why. A lot of .jar mods are strange with 1.5.X. For instance, to use Optifine you have to use a specific old version and no other will work. .jar mods are very strange 1.5.X+ and I don't have much experiance with the update.

That would be why. A lot of .jar mods are strange with 1.5.X. For instance, to use Optifine you have to use a specific old version and no other will work. .jar mods are very strange 1.5.X+ and I don't have much experiance with the update.

I had this problem but I don't anymore. I have Explosivescraft 2 running minecraft 1.5.1 and the latest version of forge and optifine. You may just need to use an updated version of forge. That was my problem

Use drop box. Very user friendly and all you have to do is enable the public folder. It's also confirmed to work with technic very well as long as you don't go over the download limit.

Added a FAQ.

Included:

Q: My pack worked great untill I overhauled it with new mods/minecraft version. When I update, it compleatly breaks! What happened?

Q: My pack worked great untill I overhauled it with new mods/minecraft version. When I update, it compleatly breaks! What happened?

Q: I don't like the hosts you sugested, whats another I can use?

Q: Ma pack NO wOrk! WAT IS THIS DARK MAJIC?

Have to drop a note here and give thanks for the guide. My modpack is working, albeit with a few things I still need to iron out in the configs. (Why did I zip the entire config folder? Why?)

I also wanted to give back a bit, since the next step after making your modpack is making a basic server that runs said modpack.

1. Download minecraft_server.jar direct from Mojang.
  2. Download the latest universal binary from Forge.
  3. Open both files in your favorite archive manager, I use 7zip.
  4. Delete the META-INF folder in minecraft_server.jar.
  5. Copy all the files in the Forge .zip into minecraft_server.jar.
  6. Put the minecraft_server.jar in a folder you want to keep your server in.
  7. Open your favorite text editor, like Notepad, and copy-paste the line "java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui" into it without the quotes.
  8. Save the text file as something like start.bat in the server directory.
  9. Copy your modpack's mods, coremods and config directories into the server folder. Make sure you delete any configs and mods that are UI related, like InventoryTweaks, minimaps and stuff like Dynamic Lighting.
  10. Run start.bat, let the server launch completely, then close the window to stop the server.
  11. A bunch of new files will have generated in the server folder. The one you want to open in your text editor is server.properties, which has all your server settings in it.

Now you should be well on your way.

Changed the format of the guide to allow for easy referencing to specific sections (Mainly fixing ID errors, hosting your modpack, and the FAQ)

Also added a table of contents and a [back to top] link at the bottom of each post

If you have the launcher on your PC then you could make it on that. The only issue you would have is getting the mods onto the computer. You could download the mods onto a zip drive and then do the transfer. Really though it would be easier to do on your MAC in this situation where if you find you forgot something you could download it instead of having to use the drive.

Now we want to test the modpack.jar. Download a pre-existing pack that is the same version and replace the modpack.jar it has with your own. Launch the pack and if it works, your good to go!

Next: The mods! (Images to come)

This can be a very long process so bear with me. The first thing we want to do is download a version of technic that supports the version of the pack we are making. If it was 1.2.5: you would download tekkit classic. 1.4.7: tekkit lite, Voltz, BigDig. 1.5.1: Tekkit (The newest version).

Launch the pack and exit out as soon as the main page loads. Now go into your .technic folder (If you don’t know where this is then please google it, thats too easy to need to explain here) and into the pack you just downloaded. If we’re making a 1.4.7 pack and grabbed tekkit lite then we would go into the sub folder marked tekkit lite and delete all the files in the mods, coremods, and config folders. You now have a blank modpack! From here we are going to add our mods into the mod folder there.

I couldn't comprehend this part. Nice guide though otherwise.

Hey there, thanks for the tutorial, was able to compile a modpack finally, BUT, i had to use the 7zip program for all the stages, i spent like 6 hours trying and the only way i was able to do it was with 7zip, with Winrar wasn't working and i tried everything and even after smooshing it and treat it well and cuddle it wasn't working, lol, hope this helps those who still have problems.