is this the end for big dig?

srjacob

I can see why dropping IC2 and redpower were not as crazy as i first thought but... why all the hate for people who like IC2?

Is there a replacement for the mass fabricator? Something that requires endless energy and even in big dig, makes you want more and more and more power? Something that gives you tons of flexibility, like making 1000 glowstone blocks, if you decide you need them bad enough?

With other mods, it just seems that within one quarry run, you have enough resources in big dig to have all the energy and machines you need. So once you do, why not just play creative mode? I guess to me, the one thing that made big dig not get boring was always wanting more hv solars for the mass fab.

ill also miss my huge railcraft iron tank full of lava, it just looks cool in your basalt base. Oh... no redpower, no basalt for my Dark Towers. crud.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a replacement for the mass fabricator? Something that requires endless energy and even in big dig, makes you want more and more and more power? Something that gives you tons of flexibility, like making 1000 glowstone blocks, if you decide you need them bad enough?

You'll have to decide for yourself if it's a replacement, but try out the MFR mining laser. Create a platform to reap infinite materials from the earth.

ill also miss my huge railcraft iron tank full of lava, it just looks cool in your basalt base. Oh... no redpower, no basalt for my Dark Towers. crud.

Um, mekanism has a multitank like railcraft's, artifice has mineable basalt, and MFR has something called blackstone that can be created by squid ink and stone.

You can still do all of your automation man just way faster and yes alot less grindy, You use Voltz machines and buildcraft machines without buggy converters, use Universal wire, to move items (automation) you use import, export bus on applied energistics mod. The computer interface and hard drive storage makes it faster and less laggy. Industrial craft was easier because you knew it. Try applied energistics paired with voltz. I hope this helps, If you have questions on what to do shoot me a message, I think you will be pleased. So my views on the new mod packs I love it and it slim lines alot of cheesy mods, I am upset about micro blocks not being in there but It should be added back soon.

Yes there is a replacement look at the Applied Energistics mod it has a better version of the mass crapivator. check it out it answers all of the IC2 removals with more effecient streamlined machines.

Universal electricity has its own tank mod that pairs with Build craft machines through universal mechanical pipes, But why would you want lava to fuel a low power inefficient engine, use the volts package advanced power options,

I'm uploading a vid to show the current setup in the hope people can point out what needs replacing so I can load the map up in the updated version. I'd like to update as the alternatives sound better. When you see it, be gentle as yes, I'm still learning and it's probably all inefficient but worked for me as most of the setup was easy to build, hence it was used.

The nuclear reactor can go as I built it, made it nuke proof (well contained the explosion anyway) in case it went off (tested it in a test world) then never bothered to turn it on.

I don't have a mike so its just me doing a quick walk around. Essentially made massive quarries that send all the stuff to a sorting office which uses diamond pipes to do the sorting. All the dirt, gravel and cobblestone goes into recyclers to make scrap. The scrap gets stored currently and will/is used in the 6 mass fabricators I'd built (got taken down as I remodelled the factory. All other items run down pipes back to the factory to go into rotary macerators, and then the output goes into an induction furnace before going upstairs to be sorted into their separate boxes.

Down at the quarry is an oil fabricator as have no oil in the area I've put the factory down (apart from the big oil geyser out at sea) that is being turned into fuel with an semi automation setup.

Upstairs is a setup using Autocrafting tables to make LV-Solar arrays.

I'm liking the sound of the DSU.

Need alternatives for all this as looks like I have to rip it all down :(

I do use applied energistics in the 'old' big dig pack. I meant that the fabricator gives you a reason to always want more and more energy, more hv solars, more resources for scrap, etc.

I still dont see why people hate iC2 so much, im definitely a person who argues that 'different' is not always bad, but then again, 'tried and true' is not always bad either.

Applied energistics almost seems like cheating, once you get it set up. Click Craft on an HV solar, and wait. And... its done.

But these new mods do seem interesting, im definitely going to give it a try. I think if my friends and I werent kind of new to the original big dig setup, we would probably change over. We just arent bored with the old mods yet, and still have things we want to try (I do, anyway).

It is good to see minefactory reloaded is in the new pack, its probably my favorite mod of them all.

Mekanism is looking good for replacing most of the setup seen downstairs in my vid. It's actually better than the IC2 setup because it never overflows, instead just stacks and waits. Nice. Next test it to use a backup save, delete all the old IC2 stuff and see if the map will load in 1.5.2 or crash.

EDIT- I was enjoying Thaumcraft other day though and looks like it might be crashing on BigDig, well parts of it anyway like the Goggles of Revealing.

Why take away blue Power? sorting machine, filter, retriver... you now,

Is good to have a sorting system on the server..

Pipes: if a chest is full so jump the stacks out of the chest.

tubes: if a chest is full so go it to a other chest or back there it come from

Why take away blue Power? sorting machine, filter, retriver... you now,

Is good to have a sorting system on the server..

Pipes: if a chest is full so jump the stacks out of the chest.

tubes: if a chest is full so go it to a other chest or back there it come from

If your talking about Redpower, then it hasn't been updated for 1.5.2 yet and may not be for ages, in order to break free and update it had to be removed.

Then you will never update again. IC2 is dead, the only "updates" for it are random modders making it work with new MC versions, but bugs are beginning to accumulate and no one is fixing them. The original mod author has vanished.

Try building the Large Hadron Collider :D Building one of decent size takes a lot of resources (wool! u can never have enough of wool for this) and running it long enough to get yourself enough antimatter requires quite a lot of power.

Plus, it looks and SOUNDS awesome :D

Try Mekanism items for replacement for IC2 stuff. I thought I couldn't do without IC2 but now prefer Mekanism stuff instead. The elite factory is really good added with Redstone Energy Cell, with Magmatic engines being powered by Lava from the nether it all works great. And a mega fast quarry due to running on one Redstone Energy Cell but that does also have 8 magmatic engines on it keeping it constantly charged.

ic2 was garbage and a dead mod. glad it's gone. Now electric expansion needs to get added...

IC2 was not, and is not, garbage. You seem prone to exaggeration. I actually liked many aspects of it. The crop system was not one of those, but I digress. It may be (most likely is) dead, and the Technic team has come to the conclusion that it's time to move on.

It was never a bad mod, but it's now dieing and if it can't progress further, it'll be left in the dust more than it is already. Sometimes it's best to let go before you're dragging a lifeless corpse whose hands have fastened to yours.