is this the end for big dig?

srjacob

I honestly love the morons who keep pretending that Jenkins is a good judge of if its dead or not. If it was why the hell would they not post builds from it that are stable on the forums? Sure they can't do it in the Public Release section but ANYWHERE on there just to show the general public isn't dead would at least be a sign they think it's ready for use. No, a build NEVER shown anywhere but a place used to host builds that are mostly buggy isn't a good judge, why do they not get that?

Or pretending that Alblaka is just on some normal break and didn't completely disappear for....how many months was it again? 6? Honestly, after half a year of NOTHING it's safe to assume they either died or just decided to stop.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IC2 was not, and is not, garbage. You seem prone to exaggeration. I actually liked many aspects of it. The crop system was not one of those, but I digress. It may be (most likely is) dead, and the Technic team has come to the conclusion that it's time to move on.

I play with about 45 other people on my server. We all hated IC2. I think you are exaggerating the importance of your own opinion.

I play with about 45 other people on my server. We all hated IC2. I think you are exaggerating the importance of your own opinion.

I think you're the one exaggerating the importance of your own opinion, even if it is backed up by others. Just because a certain server dislikes a certain mod doesn't mean everybody dislikes that mod. It was never a bad mod, but if it can't keep up then it should be left to die rather than dragging people down with it. In its life, it was a fun and interesting mod to play.

IC2 was a pain in the butt sometimes, but mainly there were some great aspects. However, 45 people can not judge an entire mod. It be like if one group of people decided they hated the king, that does not mean that the whole kingdom does. It's okay that you hated it, but that doesn't mean the entire community hated it either.

The key to industrial craft was that it scaled upwards a LOT. To me, mods like redpower just dont scale up much, so why would that mod be ideal for a game style that gives you LOTS of resources? There is no need for massive power with redpower, just some furnaces. There are no dusts, no mass fab, no quarry.

Buildcraft gives you a need for a lot (100 mj/t) of power. To run one with buildcraft power takes a bit of time, thats ~17 combustion engines on fuel, or... 200 IC2 solar panels. The mass fab takes unlimited power, so big dig gives you a reason to always want more power, more ores, etc.

Without the mass fab and wanting hv solar panels... you could quarry ONCE with landmarks, and just... not mine for ore ever again. So if you dont need to build more 'industry', why play mods at all?

I havent seen the new mods, but i asked if there was a huge power requirement machine, and not much was suggested. I think the other mods were ideal for normal minecraft, with low resources, but with big dig, you need something that requires a TON of resources, and hv solars and the mass fab provided it. No othe rmod that ive seen offers the ability to 'always want more' stuff.

Except neither of those DO anything. Mass fab is just making more crap, which doesn't actually solve the "I have too much shit" problem, just making it other shit.

And solars aren't fixing crap since all they do is provide power for.........your nothing since the idea of building something isn't something you can have apparently. Seriously, if you have too much crap build a damn fort.

Also why not make more BC engines instead of solars? They both provide power and do nothing to actually use up your resources in any meaningful way.

Industrial Craft 2 is really one of my favorite mods, I don't know why, it's just something about how easy it is, how if you learn it once it sticks forever; maybe it's just me being too clingy or not wanting to change how I play MC, maybe it is time to move on, i'll miss it and hopefully i'll be able to move onto better and more advanced mods in Minecraft. Sigh, I guess it's time to delete my current MC world that i've been working on for a while now, time to start again with better mods and without IC2.

That's my honest reason response to reading these replies, reading these responses actually convinced me to let go of my sentiment for it, or for the time being until something new is added that isn't a mod.

What you could do, is what I am doing on my big dig server. I am building a nice base with a theme of a diamond ring. Four supports made up of copper and tin blocks then a diamond shaped main area made of silver blocks with diamond block accents. I have been running 3 64x64 quarries for 3 days and am half way done. This is something that never could be done unless in big dig or creative. It looks awesome and is massive and will be the perfect home base for my space program. Who knew that ore blocks made great looking building blocks?

That' a good idea. Whenever I get too many minerals I just build a big vault of reinforced stone/glass and place down a bunch of metal or gem blocks. Then I sit amongst them laughing maniacally. >:)

I do the same thing usually, or when my buddies go in my base and see over 25k of iron and stuff in my AE interface and gasp it make me feel good. Maybe I am a Minecraft hoarder lol. But either way even in the new Big Dig there are lots of fun to be had and ideas to make real. With all the mods included there are plenty of ways to use resources in ways you can't in any other pack without grinding.

Naw, you're good. IC2 is a base for Tekkit. Always has. Just like EE/2/3, BuildCraft, RedPower, and Forestry. And I'm sure any true Tekkiteer feels the same way. Also. Weird profile pic. O__O

And it's been replaced.

Also Forestry as a base for Tekkit.......yeah you're either a troll or a MASSIVE idiot.

And it's been replaced.

Also Forestry as a base for Tekkit.......yeah you're either a troll or a MASSIVE idiot.

More likely he's been playing Technic packs for a very long time. In the same way people here have stuck to IC2 because it was a big mod when they started playing, Forestry did used to be a big component of our packs. It was removed, which isn't worth going into again, and now most people don't really associated Forestry and Technic. I'm sure IC2 will be the same way.

More likely he's been playing Technic packs for a very long time. In the same way people here have stuck to IC2 because it was a big mod when they started playing, Forestry did used to be a big component of our packs. It was removed, which isn't worth going into again, and now most people don't really associated Forestry and Technic. I'm sure IC2 will be the same way.

I agree. It's time for a change with IC2.

The MFR Mining Laser sounds like an improved replacement for the Mass Fab, like the Minium Stone replacing the EE make-a-wish chests. You can still make anything, but you don't short circuit the fun. UU-Matter & EE2 was too close to Creative mode.

I'd vote to take out EE all day long.

EE is actually a great mod, imo, I think that the sheer amount of resources you put in is equal does pay off for the huge profit you get once you're done with it. I just think maybe it needs to be a bit harder and within EE itself, so not requiring just 10+ diamonds to make a single component, i'm talking about like an energy within EE that's generated somehow and that energy runs things, and to make said energy you need to throw in some sort of fuel made from diamonds or something expensive so that the amount you throw in at first can counteract the amount you'd receive once you're done.

Also. Weird profile pic. O__O

Hehe, it's Ryuk from the Death Note series (The best anime imo), he loves apples so put together the pieces lol.

IMO IC2 is for beginners. Now, take Thermal Expansion which is a bit slower but pretty simple to use too. You want to go further into machines then go into Mekanism mod and ofc Atomic science (which is much better than IC2 nuclear stuff) which both provide tons of way of producing power( windmills with their epic look, fission,fusion reactors and ofc the antimatter and redmatter endgame stuff). All in all the new Big Dig goes into an era of much more end-game machines, items and so on. That's equal to MORE FUN and more time invested (= again with less boredom).

IMO IC2 is for beginners. Now, take Thermal Expansion which is a bit slower but pretty simple to use too. You want to go further into machines then go into Mekanism mod and ofc Atomic science (which is much better than IC2 nuclear stuff) which both provide tons of way of producing power( windmills with their epic look, fission,fusion reactors and ofc the antimatter and redmatter endgame stuff). All in all the new Big Dig goes into an era of much more end-game machines, items and so on. That's equal to MORE FUN and more time invested (= again with less boredom).

Ikr? IC2 nuclear reactors are shit compared with Atomic Science.