Wiki help

weirleader

So I'm having so much fun with all of this, between the forums and the wiki that I'm motivated to contribute. I figured I'd take a stab at the wiki, though I'm a bit daunted be the amount of experience I lack. :-)

Trying something very basic, I realized that I can include a Furnace template, but I don't believe they have anything for an Induction Smelter. Is that something that I can create? I took a look at the code for the Furnace template and it's way more complex than I expected. Any suggestions for how to edit and/or create my own? Or should I just leave this to the heavy lifters?

[EDIT: Related to this, some of the stubs lack images; I figured I'd go right to the source, but I really can't figure out where the original textures are stored, especially when I consider all the various mods that are include. I guess I could grab some from other sites, but I like the idea of grabbing all up-to-date files. I'm sure all this is in a .jar somewhere, but after a brief search I'm starting to feel like it might be a needle in a haystack. Any tips? ...figured out the images part, at least; I swear that posting and giving up often gives me an answer!]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent a large chunk of my time at work today putting up some framework and fleshing out other parts of the wiki. I've never been a contributor on a wiki before, so at least I don't have any other system's syntax learned that I need to adjust, but I've been learning a lot by looking at existing pages and stealing/modifying a lot of code.

I agree, we need templates for pretty much all the TE machines; Induction Smelter, Liquid Transposer, Magma Crucible, etc. I'm sure there's a way to create a custom template of some kind, but I haven't figured it out yet. It looks like they are using MediaWiki, so their webpage might be a good place to start.

We need more contributors! Honestly, even if we are just copy/pasting from other wikis into this one, at least all the information will be in one, central place. I know I relied HEAVILY on the wiki when learning Tekkit Classic, and suspect a lot of the facepalm topics that get posted here would be avoided by having a good wiki.

Edit: I know you've figured it out, but I figured I'd answer your question anyway so that others can learn. Most images can be found in the modpack itself, or in the minecraft.jar file. If a modpack is packaged as a .jar, you can always copy it somewhere, rename the copy to a .zip instead of a .jar, then extract the contents of the pack. Poking around inside the files will give you pretty much every image you'll need, and for other images (such as 3D renders of blocks), check the official wiki or website for the mod.

Resizing images to their proper sizes to be displayed in Crafting recipes is also a good idea. If you have Photoshop, make sure to change the sampling rate from Bicubic to Nearest Neighbor, so the image isn't interpolated and image quality altered or worsened. Images in the crafting recipes are 32x32, and the large image on the top right of the page is usually 128x128.

lol -- yeah, it took me a while to figure out that 'nearest neighbor' trick (thanks to Google), but it's working like a charm. You managed to ninja one of my 'edits' today... hehe. I was in the middle of it and suddenly all the dust/ingots were complete.

I did notice that somebody is occasionally putting up much nicer 128-bit images (e.g., the sawmill); do you know if those are stored somewhere or just the product of someone with a lot more talent than I have?

I'm not sure where those large 3d images come from. I can typically scale up the flat images, even from 16x16, to a much larger nice looking graphic. But those quarter perspective high resolution shots... I'm not sure how they are done. Maybe reach out to whomever uploaded that file and see where they got it from, or how they made the image?

Sorry for ninja'ing your edit, I was kind of in the zone today and hammered out a LOT of wiki content. :D

You might want to check this out, it's what creates those 128-bit images. Pretty hand for creating the wiki.

my apologies for being dense, but I've no idea how to use that mod. I just recently learned how to use MCPC-Plus to add in some plugins, but otherwise rely solely on the Technic crew for putting things together. I'm guessing it's pretty straightforward, but I get a bit nervous monkeying with things I don't understand.

Sorry for ninja'ing your edit, I was kind of in the zone today and hammered out a LOT of wiki content. :D

For the record, I was *very slowly* editing my first page and spending a lot of time making sure I understood labeling and formatting and trying to figure out where/how all the pictures were handled. It just was a funny surprise when I tried to save my first edit and I got a conflict... at first I thought I had done something wrong myself.

[EDIT: And one more thing... I can't figure out how to independently add the 32px image for an item. If it's included in a recipe, you just have to click on it; but if it's missing from the Mod Template at the bottom of the page there's no simple link to follow (e.g., the BC Wrench). Surely there's an easy way to get at that... but what/how?]

You might want to check this out, it's what creates those 128-bit images. Pretty hand for creating the wiki.

SWEET! Will give it a go, and if I get it working will post instructions for others.

Should we coordinate our editing efforts so we aren't working on the same thing at the same time? There's only a few people submitting and editing content according to the 'recent changes' page, but still might be nice to divvy that up in some way. I've noticed some have gone and added content to the pages I've been building, which is awesome! I still need to go through and mark some of those pages as stubs, so they can be easily found and completed.

Is there a template of sorts that can be referred to as a completed page? There's a lot of sections to a page, and some blocks/items might have more sections to them but I feel there should be a minimum requirement somewhere that we can point to and say "build a page with at least these features and we're in a good place". There's the info box (with several different templates in itself, for blocks and items), the crafting section, description, and mod directory at the bottom. Am I forgetting anything?

[Edit:

And one more thing... I can't figure out how to independently add the 32px image for an item. If it's included in a recipe, you just have to click on it; but if it's missing from the Mod Template at the bottom of the page there's no simple link to follow (e.g., the BC Wrench). Surely there's an easy way to get at that... but what/how?

I've been using a URL I crafted by taking the base string and changing it to match the item I'm uploading. I'm sure there's a better/smarter way to do this, but it's been getting the job done.

http://wiki.technicpack.net/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Grid_

At the end of that URL, place the file name of the item. In your example, you'd put Wrench_(Buildcraft).png

That SHOULD do it.

SWEET! Will give it a go, and if I get it working will post instructions for others.

Should we coordinate our editing efforts so we aren't working on the same thing at the same time?

Excellent idea; so far I've just been filling in information on things I know, which means I'll start in on a mod (e.g., MineFactory Reloaded) but then I'll hit something like Roads that I've never used and I'm hesitant to touch it. And then there're things like the "Health Syringe" that confound me -- maybe I'm being too particular, but in NEI it's a "Health Syringe" and on the Wiki it's "Healing Syringe". As a very detail-oriented guy, I think this should be changed, but I always wonder if there's a reason it was labeled "Healing Syringe" that I just don't know about.

Is there a template of sorts that can be referred to as a completed page? There's a lot of sections to a page, and some blocks/items might have more sections to them but I feel there should be a minimum requirement somewhere that we can point to and say "build a page with at least these features and we're in a good place". There's the info box (with several different templates in itself, for blocks and items), the crafting section, description, and mod directory at the bottom. Am I forgetting anything?

Another excellent idea. Not sure what you mean by "info box" -- do you mean the stuff at the right, with the image and is/isn't stackable, etc.? Crafting is a must, when applicable, and I'm trying to throw in basic info. Like we previously mentioned, I'm feeling stuck on more complex crafting, like induction smelting recipes.

I've been using a URL I crafted by taking the base string and changing it to match the item I'm uploading. I'm sure there's a better/smarter way to do this, but it's been getting the job done.

http://wiki.technicpack.net/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Grid_

At the end of that URL, place the file name of the item. In your example, you'd put Wrench_(Buildcraft).png

That SHOULD do it.

I've been trying out this page: http://wiki.technicpack.net/Special:Upload

it might be the same basic result.

You put the mod in the mods folder. No config errors etc. should be caused by it, you just chuck it in, start it up and press P to take pics.

tried that; this is what happened -- http://pastebin.com/6naZAmm5

I don't really know enough about this stuff to begin figuring out where I'm going wrong. Like I said, I managed to get MCPC-Plus working after a lot of trial and error.

Should we coordinate our editing efforts so we aren't working on the same thing at the same time?.

I'm currently focusing my efforts on Buildcraft and Thermal Expansion because it seems I know those best. I'm just going item-by-item and filling in recipes/images that are obviously missing and occasionally editing/sprucing up the text to include more/better links.

If you have suggestions for how to divvy this up, let me know.

If you have suggestions for how to divvy this up, let me know.

I dunno, I could work on AE, I'm in love with that mod. Never played it before the new Tekkit, and already can't figure out how I lived without it! Chests? Who needs chests?!?

I've also been learning a bunch about Galacticraft, seeing as that is one of the core mods for Tekkit and kind of an endgame scenario, I figure it should be documented pretty well.

Can't promise I'll stay out of Thermal Expansion, but if I see you actively editing there I'll work on something else. ;)

just noticed you added the (8) units to the rednet cable recipe; did you just create your own graphic, or is there a slick way to do that? No sense in me going out of my way if you have a shortcut.

[EDIT: Never mind... sheesh. I apparently am getting slower with every passing year. For anybody else's sake, there's a handy edit to the page that puts the Output Amount (OA) into the recipe]

You know what would be SUPER helpful? A page full of templates. Dunno if we could host it on the wiki in plain text so the wiki doesn't interpret the code and try to render it. It might make more sense to host a template page elsewhere... Like here? Maybe a new sub forum could be setup so we can keep all that discussion separate?

Do you mean like crafting templates, smelting templates, etc.? Or do you mean templates for complete pages? Or maybe both? I mean, I can just grab an existing page and make changes, but I suppose blank ones would speed things along just a little bit more.

If you get a chance, check out: http://wiki.technicpack.net/Compressed_Sawdust . Any idea why I'm getting that goofy gap in the middle (between Crafting and Usage)? No idea how to fix it...

Do you mean like crafting templates, smelting templates, etc.? Or do you mean templates for complete pages? Or maybe both? I mean, I can just grab an existing page and make changes, but I suppose blank ones would speed things along just a little bit more.

If you get a chance, check out: http://wiki.technicpack.net/Compressed_Sawdust . Any idea why I'm getting that goofy gap in the middle (between Crafting and Usage)? No idea how to fix it...

Yeah, pretty much all templates. Would be nice to have a complete template for what a new page should have, as well as break off each section and describe what the syntax is for anyone else who wants to help. Especially the footer at the bottom of most mod pages, that shows the entire contents of the items/blocks in that mod, I find that to be the most challenging to edit.

As far as the Compressed Sawdust... you got me. I even inspected the page source to see why there was so much white space on the page, I can't figure it out. There are some other oddities, such as the minium stone transmutation recipes (http://wiki.technicpack.net/Minium_Stone#Transmutations) that someone else so helpfully put into the page. I spent some time cleaning it up just now, adding images for missing graphics of some Vanilla stuff and saw that the quantity wasn't showing on the output, even though it had the correct syntax. Can't figure out that one either.

Probably because of the space required for the template on the right side of the page.

There are some other oddities, such as the minium stone transmutation recipes (http://wiki.technicpack.net/Minium_Stone#Transmutations) that someone else so helpfully put into the page. I spent some time cleaning it up just now, adding images for missing graphics of some Vanilla stuff and saw that the quantity wasn't showing on the output, even though it had the correct syntax. Can't figure out that one either.

Figured out the Minium Stone issue; whoever added that stuff used the "Grid/Crafting Table" template instead of the "Crafting grid" template and that, apparently, makes all the difference. So I switched them all. I want to try to see if I can use some html to align them all in a grid for space savings (that's a long list), but don't think I'm going to get to that tonight.

I think a bunch of templates would be nice; just don't have any solid ideas of the best way to organize and/or store them.

Figured out the Minium Stone issue; whoever added that stuff used the "Grid/Crafting Table" template instead of the "Crafting grid" template and that, apparently, makes all the difference. So I switched them all.

Good eye. I must be getting tired, my typing is getting sloppy and I'm missing stuff like that. As good a sign as any to call it a night. :)

Good eye. I must be getting tired, my typing is getting sloppy and I'm missing stuff like that. As good a sign as any to call it a night. :)

Based on your response to the 832nd version of "WTF! IC2 IS GONE!", looks like you caught a second wind. ;-)

I just started drinking the wiki editing kool-aid; my first real edit, complete with pictures and recipe and recipe pictures and words: http://wiki.technicpack.net/An_Obsidian_Plate. I removed the stub marker if that's cool, I couldn't think of anything else to write about it.

I have never been more proud in my life, it's like I just became a father.

I didn't realize how brief that mod was until just looking into it; looks like it makes sense to remove stub status. In fact, I should probably go through a bunch of my edits and remove stub status. Thanks for joining in!

As far as the Compressed Sawdust... you got me. I even inspected the page source to see why there was so much white space on the page, I can't figure it out. There are some other oddities, such as the minium stone transmutation recipes (http://wiki.technicpack.net/Minium_Stone#Transmutations) that someone else so helpfully put into the page. I spent some time cleaning it up just now, adding images for missing graphics of some Vanilla stuff and saw that the quantity wasn't showing on the output, even though it had the correct syntax. Can't figure out that one either.

Thanks for fixing that you two! I copy-pasta'd that page from Feed the Beast wiki and was working on it, but then it was time to go home from work so I left it with some broken images and such. I think we managed to get EE3 fleshed out nicely =) I think I'll probably poke more at GalacticCraft today

Based on your response to the 832nd version of "WTF! IC2 IS GONE!", looks like you caught a second wind. ;-)

Yeah, couldn't sleep. Smart phone + insomnia = message board shenanigans.