MFR Harvester & Magical Crops

Omnirach

I decided to set up a farm using the Magical Crops, and being the lazy sod that I am, got sick of having to go harvest it all myself, so I decided to automate it with some MFR machines.

As it turns out, that without changing any config the harvester will only harvest one, obsidian, of the 10, lapis, redstone, diamond, experience, glowstone, emerald, ender, gold, coal, different magical crops that I have planted, and it ignores the rest.

Also just tried throwing the seeds into the planters I have, also only plants obsidian seeds.

Is there any way I can fix this via config files, or is this more of a hardwiring problem inside either MFR or Magical Crops?

Thanks.

I would kind of hope the bonemeal thing was intentional, because with white flowers being a thing you can grow and bonemeal (and currently it doesn't even use up the bonemeal at all) to make exponentially more bonemeal for free, the crop system is already imbalanced to an Equivalent Exchange 2 degree.

I would kind of hope the bonemeal thing was intentional, because with white flowers being a thing you can grow and bonemeal (and currently it doesn't even use up the bonemeal at all) to make exponentially more bonemeal for free, the crop system is already imbalanced to an Equivalent Exchange 2 degree.

This is Big Dig, it's supposed to have easy access to materials..

Theres "easy" and then theres "As much as you want, whenever you want, with no effort". AKA, "just play Creative" or "just NEI /give yourself more."

Look, if you're set on making certain that people can't have enough blocks to build with, you're playing the wrong mod pack. Go look into Tekkit - they're all about making sure you can't have as much as you want. But quit whining about it in a modpack that is that way by design.

Also, "just play Creative" is never a valid argument, because nobody runs a server in creative.

Admittedly, you do already have easy access to all materials. Gathering enough magic essence to get the magic crops isn't difficult, also adding in the fact that you gain a surplus of seeds and magic essence by simply farming the crops.

Not being able to automate one insignificant part of the modpack is fine by me. I actually like the fact that I can't automate EVERYTHING, because that gets boring. I do have a feeling that it is by accident that the obsidian seeds respond normally while the rest do not, so if it's fixed or changed to be either, I will not complain. Having to do 2 or 3 things by hand when 94% of your material generation is automated, I don't see any reason to complain.

Need netherrack? Bones? String? Wool? Diamonds? Experience? Redstone? Blaze rods? Lapis? Iron, gold, etc?

All of these things can be farmed with magical crops, that is true. However, a good portion is also just as easy to set up a quarry or 10 and you'll have so many you don't even know what to do with them. Blaze rods can be infinitely made by pulverizing them then returning the powder back to blaze rods (you double the rods you put in [1 rod -> 4 powder -> 2 rods]). Mob traps will get you all the mob drops, MFR can give you unlimited milk, wool, beef, mutton, pork, leather, and even experience if you use the grinder + auto spawner and kill the autospawned stuff manually. Hell, if you're even lazier than manually placing the quarrys, you could use turtles to automate the movement of them for you. The capabilities are near-endless and heaving because one mod doesn't operate the way you thought is no reason to get angry or sad or frustrated. Just find another way. ((I just wish the soulstones mod was actually in the big dig, cause you can find the shards in NEI, but are uncraftable sadface))

Edit: Just want to add that just because you're supposed to have EASY access doesn't mean you're supposed to quickly have UNLIMITED access to all materials. There needs to be a limit.

Edit: Just want to add that just because you're supposed to have EASY access doesn't mean you're supposed to quickly have UNLIMITED access to all materials. There needs to be a limit.

This is what I was trying to say. "Easy" shouldn't mean "You can literally make as much as you want out of nothing without leaving your house any time you want".

The thing is, that I'm not farming these crops to make more obsidian, coal, glowstone, etc,. I'm farming them for the essence so I can make the essence bricks. I can automate farming of everything else, why not for the essences so I can make more bricks?

Also, the soulstones mod is in Big Dig, you just have to know how to make them.

This is what I was trying to say. "Easy" shouldn't mean "You can literally make as much as you want out of nothing without leaving your house any time you want".

Yes but why only obsidian?? Obsidian is the one thing I can get right now effortlessly with a lava fabricator/aqueous accumulator + igneous extruder. And much faster too.

The question I'm asking is, why does fertilizer work on obsidian and NOTHING else?

And if it's meant to be nerfed, why does it work on obsidian at all??

Yes but why only obsidian?? Obsidian is the one thing I can get right now effortlessly with a lava fabricator/aqueous accumulator + igneous extruder. And much faster too.

The question I'm asking is, why does fertilizer work on obsidian and NOTHING else?

And if it's meant to be nerfed, why does it work on obsidian at all??

Because the mod is buggy like that. Either its supposed to work for everything and cakes walk as far as the eye can see, or its unintentional that even that one should work and only a few of the cakes do.

I have been harvesting the Magical crops with Planter/fertilizer/harvester. so far they all seem to work, the only thing i have found out is that normal bonemeal/fertlizer (blue stuff) industrial fertilizer does not work. BUT the magical fertilizer does work (requires 8 bonemeal & 1 diamond) for 8 i think fertlizer.

Strange, magical crops and harvesters etc seem to work for me. The only thing is, that I cannot use magical fertilizers, maybe if I used a fertilizer and put them in it.

I've discovered that that's exactly what you're supposed to do. You have to use magical fertilizer as though it were industrial fertilizer, and it won't work any other way.

• 5 months later...

From what I remember Big Dig 1.3.9 the harvester's did not work at all, except with Obsidian, and this problem was largely fixed for BD 1.3.13.

So there may be a little confusion between people troubleshooting if ppl are using and talking about 2 different versions of Big Dig.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw some thing in the config file for magical crops the went like this:

I:"Magic Feetilizer ID"=xxxxx

and I wonder if this is a typo or intended. IF anybody on the thread know for sure, speak up please.

​this post is almost 2 years old.  no one that was participating before is likely to be still having this issue.