[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

I have a suggestion. I would like to know if it's possible to make a carriage motor or engine that can rotate blocks. There was a mod out for 1.5+ that could do this, but the mod author had trouble working out the bugs. If you need some inspiration, here's a video explaining it all.

I have a suggestion. I would like to know if it's possible to make a carriage motor or engine that can rotate blocks. There was a mod out for 1.5+ that could do this, but the mod author had trouble working out the bugs. If you need some inspiration, here's a video explaining it all.

We've been over it several times here, but here goes. Rotating blocks is no easy thing: there's no standard as to what metadata value corresponds to each direction, so each mod block would need its own. Additionally, if you want to rotate in 3D, there's a problem with, for example, furnaces: they don't come in sideways. You'd have to fix every vanilla block that does this (off the top of my head, torches, chests, furnaces, ladders, beacons, crops... the list goes on) and a majority mod blocks too.

Edited by NightKev

So I wasn't really expecting this to work, but I updated to CC 1.6 and carriage controllers no longer work with the new API.  The peripheral.wrap just returns nil.  Are there any plans to update this mod to work with CC 1.6?  Just imagine, carriages controlled by pocket computer!

So I wasn't really expecting this to work, but I updated to CC 1.6 and carriage controllers no longer work with the new API.  The peripheral.wrap just returns nil.  Are there any plans to update this mod to work with CC 1.6?  Just imagine, carriages controlled by pocket computer!

Done in >my fork (since I don't see anyone else continuing the mod and JAKJ hasn't been on since January).

Done in >my fork (since I don't see anyone else continuing the mod and JAKJ hasn't been on since January).

Wow, what? I go away for a few hours and not only did you respond to my question but you went ahead and did it! Awesome man!  I'll have to try this out as soon as I can wrench myself away from Diablo III haha.

• 1 month later...

So, I've solved the problem of "I have a CC computer and it sometimes reboots, but sometimes only turns itself off after each movement" problem.

Using Tekkit (Thermal Expansion, Computercraft, and RiM), here's what you do:

• To solve the reboot problem, as others have done, simply save your program state ("variables") using the file system API (Fs) and read them later. Clunky, but it works
  • To solve the turning itself off sometimes (the inconsistency), I discovered that Thermal Expansion's Autonomous Activator works perfectly. Just stick one next to your computer (make sure it's facing the computer) and it'll handle the cases where sometimes it'll get turned off and not rebooted.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if the ChickenChunks chunk loaders and EnderStorage work with these (in SMP). I'd like to set up a fire-and-forget stripminer in a mystcraft dimension.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time a carriage moves within my render distance, my client insta-closes. I tried it without optifine, but I still crashed. I play on a small (4 people) server, and i'm the only one who crashes.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyn57xau4olvyk9/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log

Log.lck: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8pqj7k65jlwday/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log.lck

Error: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eybqntnsaiub0gb/hs_err_pid6360.log

Hope you can fix this issue!

Thanks

Hmm, a native crash... Maybe update your graphics card drivers?

In my computer there are 2 GPU's: One from Intel, and one from AMD. Minecraft always crashed, until I forced the Intel driver to overwrite and disable the AMD GPU. Now my Minecraft works.

Updating my drivers would maybe let carriages work, but prevent Minecraft from starting. It would error with "bad video card drivers" and "please update them", witch is what I just did, stupid error message!

I'll try to play around with this a bit more, to see if I can find a solution.

Edited by flaghacker

Remain In Motion version 1.1.6 includes a fallback renderer, available through a config property. If it's an issue I might be able to hack something into Redstone in Motion, but I'd rather keep the action in my own fork.

Edited by planetguy

I'll test that tonight, not at my computer right now... Is that version for 1.6.4?

EDIT:

Derp, I just read "REDSTONE in motion" instead of "REMAIN in motion"! Thanks a lot, I'm testing it right now!

Edited by flaghacker

• 1 month later...

Hello there guys, is there any way to speed up carriages from the 1 block/second default?

It's probably been asked before, but I couldn't find any definitive answer, only assumptions and workarounds. What I did find was an option in the config file...

I:"Duration of motion in ticks"=20

.. but changing it to a lower value doesn't seem to do anything at all. Increasing it, on the other hand, resulted in weird things happening such as carriages going through solid blocks, no interaction possible with blocks within the frame etc.. so the mod does apparently recognize the variable in some way. Am I missing something here? Is there a hardcoded speed cap of 20 ticks per motion?

I had planned to use the whole thing for an elevator of sorts (and I guess I'm not the only one), but it's pointless at such a slow pace.

Edited by redsector

Do you have the same config setting shared across both client and server? The client config controls how fast the client sees the blocks move, and the server config changes how fast they actually move. You'll have visual glitches if they don't match up.

If you're playing on singleplayer, or have the same config distributed to servers and clients, there's a bug. It most likely won't be fixed by JAKJ since he hasn't logged in since January, but my fork Remain in Motion is still in active development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Heyo, great mod. Wouldn't play without it. But... I was wondering if anyone has found a way to get a signal to all 6 sides of an engine.

As far as i know thare needs to be at least 1 Carriage block attached to the engine, to get successful motion. I've found that this initial block prevents the redstone signal from getting the engine from that side. I.E. if your initial block is on the right, you cannot power the right side of the engine.

It's wierd because the Carriage blocks seem to react to redstone in the same manner and any other block. Yet, the engine cannot take a signal through a block like a piston would.

3up3Byk.png?1

I know there has to be a way. Has anyone succeeded in powering all 6 sides of an engine?

Edited by dulled_edge

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I am using a 1.5.2 version of this, and I have a problem. For some reason, if I put a block under a stack of frames, and get a motor carriage to move it upwards, then nothing happens, but if I remove the block, then it works. This means that if I want to make giant hangar doors, I need to make an excessively complicated door system, where 20 motors will be needed, instead of 1 or 2. Now think about wiring all of those to work automatically. 

Is it possible to have frame motors work even if there is something behind them?  I know that maybe in original redpower, it was not like this, but it would make it much easier to automate.

Also, every time I try to put a lever under a engine motor (the motor that moves with the frames), it destroys the lever (or the red alloy wire under it). This renders automation of frame motors via a computer sending redstone signals impossible, as you need to place the block every time for it to work. Is there a fix to this?