How to install OptiFine into Hexxit [Mac]

MrTwinkeh

I've noticed some traffic of people wondering how to install OptiFine into Hexxit on a Mac, and tutorials only cover this on the Windows operating system. The below tutorial will explain (in the best of my ability) how to install OptiFine into Hexxit.

Requirements:

1. The correct OptiFine version matching that of the current Hexxit version.

2. The current Hexxit version.

Instructions:

1. First, open a Finder window and go to the top of the screen. Find 'Go' at the top of the screen, and click on it. Click on the option that is second from the bottom.

FXQE68Y.png

Paste this in (without the quotes): '/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application\ Support/technic/hexxit/bin' - Where <UserName> is your username, and press 'Go'. Keep this window open.

P6w17f4.png

2. Now, find your Optifine zip file (where ever you put it).

N17ezk9.png

Double click this file to extract it.

FHU9RPN.png

3. Go back to the Finder window you opened previously (the one that contains 'bin', and other folders). Find 'bin' and open it. Now find 'modpack.jar' (it is the second one from the bottom).

KH2MOz3.png

Rename this file 'modpack.zip'. Make sure that it isn't 'modpack.zip.jar' or something similar. The icon should change when this happens.

olW5AcB.png

4. Double click 'modpack.zip' to extract it.

6bDYpVg.png

5. Open up your Optifine folder (not zip) and your modpack folder (not zip). Put these side-by-side.

MUeysvs.png

Hold down 'command' and press 'a' at the same time (with the Optifine folder selected) to select every file in the Optifine folder. It should look a little like this:

tFPKYaO.png

6. With the Optifine folder still selected, press 'command' and 'c' at the same time. Click on the 'modpack' folder and press 'command' and 'v' at the same time. A window looking like this should pop up. Select 'apply to all' and click 'replace'.

ptTMGey.png

7. With the modpack folder still selected again, press 'command' and 'a' at the same time to select all the files, and right click one of the files. Find 'compress X files' (where X is the amount of files), and click it.

QlYQEBf.png

8. In the same folder, scroll down to see the only file still selected. It will be called 'Archive.zip'.

cu7EPwd.png

Place 'Archive.zip' in the 'bin' folder you found at the beginning of this tutorial.

jwuwD2y.png

9. The final step. This is very important. Rename the 'Archive.zip' into 'modpack.jar' (without the quotes). The file icon should change.

C2yDWLW.png

----------------------------------

That is all you need to do! Now just start up Hexxit, and enjoy! If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the comments. Thank you.

I have tried these instructions step-by-step, and all I get is a white screen crash. I haven't tried again since last night though. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and a small suggestion, maybe clarify step 9 a little and list the file that is supposed to be renamed/changed.

I have tried these instructions step-by-step, and all I get is a white screen crash. I haven't tried again since last night though. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and a small suggestion, maybe clarify step 9 a little and list the file that is supposed to be renamed/changed.

Ah, thanks for the suggestion, I shall change that. Make sure every file is exactly the right name. It is all case sensitive. Also, keep in mind that if you end a file in '.jar', the icon for it will change. If it doesn't, you have done something wrong. Make sure you don't put any quotation marks around the filenames, that was just to show the name of the file.

A small request on my part - when it white screens, wait for some text to pop up. If you could copy all that text and message it to me, I may be able to troubleshoot this problem. Thank you.

Ok, cool. I will try it again, and if I continue to have problems I will send a PM with the info.

Edit update: I went through the process, copied files from Optifine and made the file changes and updates. Still getting the white crash screen on launch.

The text of the white crash page is below.

Minecraft has crashed!   

----------------------   

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem; Failed to start game

A full error report has been saved to /Applications/Games/Technic Minecraft/hexxit/crash-reports/crash-2013-06-29_20.59.10-client.txt - Please include a copy of that file (Not this screen!) if you report this crash to anyone; without it, they will not be able to help fix the crash 

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 1bd27331 --------

Full report at:

/Applications/Games/Technic Minecraft/hexxit/crash-reports/crash-2013-06-29_20.59.10-client.txt

Please show that file to Mojang, NOT just this screen!

Generated 6/29/13 8:59 PM

-- System Details --

Details:

Minecraft Version: 1.5.2

Operating System: Mac OS X (x86_64) version 10.8.4

Java Version: 1.6.0_51, Apple Inc.

Java VM Version: Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Apple Inc.

Memory: 16965928 bytes (16 MB) / 120721408 bytes (115 MB) up to 1069416448 bytes (1019 MB)

JVM Flags: 1 total; -Xmx1024m

AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used

Suspicious classes: FML and Forge are installed

IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0

FML:

LWJGL: 2.4.2

OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT OpenGL Engine GL version 2.1 NVIDIA-8.12.47 310.40.00.05f01, NVIDIA Corporation

Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'fml,forge'

Type: Client (map_client.txt)

Texture Pack: Default

Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)

Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid value (1281)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:56)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.swapBuffers(Display.java:645)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71357_I(Minecraft.java:518)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:407)

at net.minecraft.client.MinecraftAppletImpl.func_71384_a(SourceFile:56)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:733)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

--- END ERROR REPORT 371bfc3 ----------

Second Edit 07/05/2013 - So I am still not able to get Optifine to install following the instructions/process above. i even tried uninstalling and re-installing the mod pack and still no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas for getting Optifine to install?

Is it possible to install the Optifine mod itself into the mods folder?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you for this post!!!

Ive been trying to get this working for a while....

Just by curiosity, why cant someone make a custom pack that is hexxit except with optifine?

It is just a matter of convenience, thats all.

Thank you for this post!!!

Ive been trying to get this working for a while....

Just by curiosity, why cant someone make a custom pack that is hexxit except with optifine?

It is just a matter of convenience, thats all.

No problem! Enjoy playing with connected textures, increased framerate, and HD packs!

Has anyone had any success with this process?

I am having issues with this as noted above, and I'd really like to get this resolved since I need Optifine to squash lag spikes and smooth out the frames.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Yeah, that worked for me. You might want to double-check that you're using the right Optifine version, since it stays updated to the latest version of Minecraft, but Hexxit is going to remain at 1.5.2 until all the mods have caught up. So you don't want the most up-to-date version of Optifine.

Yeah, that worked for me. You might want to double-check that you're using the right Optifine version, since it stays updated to the latest version of Minecraft, but Hexxit is going to remain at 1.5.2 until all the mods have caught up. So you don't want the most up-to-date version of Optifine.

Optifines not been updated to 1.6,

According to the thread and website. It's very close to completion though.

I have actually tried three different builds of Optifine and I get the white screen crash with all of them.

Are you still supposed to delete META-INF?

According to a post on a different thread How to properly Install Optifine into Hexxit/Technic Modpacks. If you do the traditional method of installing mods and delete META-INF you get a crash.

And that certainly isn't my issue, I haven't tried deleting META-INF.

Edit: So I was doing some searching online and found some information that says that the error org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid value (1281) noted in my crash report above is apparently related to an issue with a texture size that is too big.

I wonder if this is a bug with/related to the Technic launcher or some incompatibility between the launcher and Optifine.

I don't think it is Optifine itself, since I have it installed on a vanilla world and also a world with Ars Magica and a couple of other mods and there are no problems with any of those installs.

Well I seem to have succeeded with getting Optifine to install and work…I think!?!?

I had to toss the technic launcher and download a fresh copy, and I also downloaded the most recent version of Optifine for MC 1.5.2…except that the version I downloaded was Optifine Standard not Ultra. I don't know if that should make any difference, but it apparently has. Also I think it was successfully installed, except the video options menu doesn't show any of the options that are normally present with a traditional install of Optifine. My frames are consistently anywhere from mid-50's down to mid-30's, so that is a definite improvement from before, where I was lucky to see frames in the mid to upper 20's, and most often in the teens and single digits!

So in summary it seems that for my situation it took a version of Optifine Standard instead of Ultra, and a fresh Technic launcher (but as I said, I don't know if the fresh launcher install was really a contributing factor).

Well I seem to have succeeded with getting Optifine to install and work…I think!?!?

I had to toss the technic launcher and download a fresh copy, and I also downloaded the most recent version of Optifine for MC 1.5.2…except that the version I downloaded was Optifine Standard not Ultra. I don't know if that should make any difference, but it apparently has. Also I think it was successfully installed, except the video options menu doesn't show any of the options that are normally present with a traditional install of Optifine. My frames are consistently anywhere from mid-50's down to mid-30's, so that is a definite improvement from before, where I was lucky to see frames in the mid to upper 20's, and most often in the teens and single digits!

So in summary it seems that for my situation it took a version of Optifine Standard instead of Ultra, and a fresh Technic launcher (but as I said, I don't know if the fresh launcher install was really a contributing factor).

I dont think Optifine is installed.. the Video Settings should be present. Just without the AA and AF I believe. But definitely a majority of Optifine Ultra's settings. The version doesn't affect installation steps so you must have did something wrong.

I dont think Optifine is installed.. the Video Settings should be present. Just without the AA and AF I believe. But definitely a majority of Optifine Ultra's settings. The version doesn't affect installation steps so you must have did something wrong.

Well it seems that you were correct. I was experiencing increased frames temporarily. And then they returned to my usual level in the low teens and single digits. And I am back in the same position of not being able to install Optifine through the process above.

I still get a white screen crash after the above process is completed.

I am incredibly irritated with this situation…I am about to throw in the towel and call it a day. If I can't get Optifine and the mod pack to play nice, it is going to be heave-ho to the mod pack and the technic launcher. That would be such a shame, since I really enjoy this modpack.

I really want to figure out why this happening, so that it can be corrected.

Well it seems that you were correct. I was experiencing increased frames temporarily. And then they returned to my usual level in the low teens and single digits. And I am back in the same position of not being able to install Optifine through the process above.

I still get a white screen crash after the above process is completed.

I am incredibly irritated with this situation…I am about to throw in the towel and call it a day. If I can't get Optifine and the mod pack to play nice, it is going to be heave-ho to the mod pack and the technic launcher.

Sure your installing onto modpack.jar not minecraft.jar?

Try reseting the pack and going through it once more. Backup your worlds though.

Sure your installing onto modpack.jar not minecraft.jar?

Try reseting the pack and going through it once more. Backup your worlds though.

Yeah, I make sure that I am installing onto the modpack.jar and not minecraft.jar. I do duplicate the saves folder just in case though.

That worked for you? And just to confirm. You have a MAC and you managed to install Optifine in it?

I have installed Optifine in Windows and Linux (Ubuntu). And even grabbing the modpack.jar from those systems and putting it on the Mac it wont work.

I wanted to blame Hexxit or Optifine, but it works on Windows and Linux. Strange enough Optifine does work in Tekkit Lite on a Mac.

But no luck with Hexxit. So if you ACTUALLY have a MAC and it works, please share your knowledge.

That worked for you? And just to confirm. You have a MAC and you managed to install Optifine in it?

I have installed Optifine in Windows and Linux (Ubuntu). And even grabbing the modpack.jar from those systems and putting it on the Mac it wont work.

I wanted to blame Hexxit or Optifine, but it works on Windows and Linux. Strange enough Optifine does work in Tekkit Lite on a Mac.

But no luck with Hexxit. So if you ACTUALLY have a MAC and it works, please share your knowledge.

I use an iMac 10.7.5. It is a 2011 model with a 21.5" screen, 6gb of DDR3 RAM. I wrote this tutorial, based on what I did to install Optifine. It works well for me.

Not like I don't believe you, but would you have a proof that it actually works. The screenshoots only show CurrentOptifine -_- so it wont even show the version. And I can't see the Hexxit name in none of the folders.

If you have a screenshoot of running hexxit with optifine on your mac would be nice.

Also what version of Optifine exactly you installed?

Not like I don't believe you, but would you have a proof that it actually works. The screenshoots only show CurrentOptifine -_- so it wont even show the version. And I can't see the Hexxit name in none of the folders.

If you have a screenshoot of running hexxit with optifine on your mac would be nice.

Also what version of Optifine exactly you installed?

Why dont you try it out for yourself? What's the worst that could happen?

Why dont you try it out for yourself? What's the worst that could happen?

Hahaha you think I haven't tried?

-I've tried with all versions of 1.5.2, Standard and Ultra

-(I've even tried with versions of Optifine of 1.4.7 and 1.6 just in case...)

-I've tried on a fresh new install of technicpack and hexxit.

-I've tried to rename,unzip and name jar

-I've tried to open it with WinZip for Mac

-I've tried to copy a working modpack.jar with Optifine from Windows and Linux to my Mac

-I've tried a lot of stuff and it just won't work for me.

-I've changed my versions of Java from 6 to recommended 7.21 to latest 7.40 and tried it all again.

I know Tekkit Classis uses it and Tekkit Lite can be installed into. They work fine, but not HEXXIT.

This works fine on Windows and Linux, so it makes me wonder why it won't work on Mac

So I figured it was just not possible to install it on a Mac. And that is the reason everyone is searching for How-To

That's the reason I asked. If Optifine is working well in your MAC with HEXXIT then I will consider keep trying or asking for advice somewhere and would be happy to know its actually possible.

But for as much as I've tried it, I think this whole tread is wrongly titled it. Since it can't work on Mac as you titled it.

Now would you offer proof that Optifine actually works on Mac?

Yes, actually modpack and I've even tried installing it to minecraft.jar and also tried just dumping it on the coremods and mod folders.

IBM-Compatible computers do not have a firewire conection and if they do, they don't have enough power output to feed the power to the digital sensor back for my medium format camera. So I can't take photos tethered with a PC. Also they don't have the option to open a LAN network without the need of carry a router. PCs are cheaper, I give you that.

I own Windows, master race.

Just a note. These are the Technic forums.

You're the one who brought it up, Vivacity.

AngelMalus, I've tried following the OPs instructions and while Hexxit does launch, it doesn't seem to be giving the video options that you normally see in Optifine. I suspect the OP didn't actually confirm Optifine was working, maybe figured that since Hexxit launched and didn't crash that is was installed properly. htek38 had the same issues I believe, earlier in the thread he said it was working, but then realized he didn't see the video options either.

I'ma call this one as Myth: Busted.